The New What Made You Frown Today Thread

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I used to like PhantomStrider, until I took an arrow to the knee:
No seriously though, as soon as I saw Happy Tree Friends on the freaking thumbnail and on the list I thought "Yup, I'm done with this guy!".
My interest in PhantomStrider is a million miles away:

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
My friend (who claims to be a Family Guy fan) said that the Grim Reaper isn't a real Family Guy character. Does she even watch the show? He used to be on there a lot in the earlier seasons:

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
My friend (who claims to be a Family Guy fan) said that the Grim Reaper isn't a real Family Guy character. Does she even watch the show? He used to be on there a lot in the earlier seasons:
Heh. The Grim Reaper reminds me of this guy:

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
This poem I read in English class made me cry:

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know,
By the name of Annabel Lee,
And this maiden she lived with no other thought,
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea,
But we loved with a love that was more than love,
I and my Annabel Lee,
With a love that the winged seraphs of Heaven,
Coveted her and me,

And this was the reason that long ago,
In this kingdom by the sea,
A wind blew out of a cloud, chilling,
My beautiful Annabel Lee,
So that her highborn kinsmen came,
And bore her away from me,
To shut her up in a sepulchre,
In this kingdom by the sea.

The angels, not half so happy in Heaven,
Went envying her and me,
Yes, that was the reason (as all men know;in this kingdom by the sea),
That the wind came out the cloud by night,
Chilling and killing my Annabel Lee.

But our love it was stronger by far than the love,
Of those who were older than we,
Of many far wiser than we,
And neither the angels in Heaven above,
Nor the demons down under the sea,
Can ever dissever my soul from the soul,
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee.

For the moon never beams, without bringing me dreams,
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee,
And the stars never rise, but I feel the bright eyes,
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee,
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side,
Of my darling-my darling-my life and my bride,
In her sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea.

Dang, depressing much? I'd expect nothing less from Edgar Allen Poe, it's like going into an Adam Sandler movie and expecting it to be highbrow comedy that isn't immature toilet stuff.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've never been much of a circus person, but it's still sad to hear that Ringling Bros. will be shutting down operations after nearly 150 years because kids today are too addicted to computers, phones, and tablets.

Future generations of kids will never know the communal experience of attending lives shows and performances.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I've never been much of a circus person, but it's still sad to hear that Ringling Bros. will be shutting down operations after nearly 150 years because kids today are too addicted to computers, phones, and tablets.

Future generations of kids will never know the communal experience of attending lives shows and performances.
Yup, sadly that's the world we live in now. Nothing seems to be able to compete with tablets and the internet anymore.

On one hand it's a great privilege to have the world at your finger tips, but on the other hand, people are missing out on a lot of one on one human interaction and the physical and psychological benefits of getting out of the house. Heck, people aren't even going to movie theaters anymore! :frown:

Although, I kind of get it. Watching clowns and whatever else doing what they do isn't quite as exciting as it was over 100 years ago. We have greater access to the outside world now, so seeing animals and watching people walking on a tightropes isn't as unusual as it used to be. That, and I guess there are a lot of animal rights activists that weren't around back than either, who strongly disagree with animals being in cages at the circus and the zoo. Crowds just generally aren't as easy to please anymore.

Last edited:

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I have to go to a funeral mass for my grandmother who passed away a couple of years ago in Massachusetts. It's going to be super boring.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Heck, people aren't even going to movie theaters anymore! :frown:
In spite of the communal experience of going to the movies, admittedly, Drtooth does have a point that he's driven home, repeatedly: movies are expensive these days - and that's without all the extras and frivolities (popcorn and snacks and drinks and such). For about the same amount of money, if not less, you could rent or stream the same movie when it's available to see if you like it, and if you don't, it's not as big a loss as shelling out $20 to see it in a theater and then turn out you hate it. Personally, I've experienced very few occasions where I went to a movie and really wanted to walk out and leave . . . AVATAR being one of them - I swear I didn't think that movie was ever going to end!

Then again, with sequels, prequels, sidequels, franchises, and such dominating the world of cinema today, and people being sick of this stuff, there's really not much to lure people to the theater to see a movie.

Although, I kind of get it. Watching clowns and whatever else doing what they do isn't quite as exciting as it was over 100 years ago. Crowds just generally aren't as easy to please anymore.
I know I keep going back to this a lot, but this is also one of the reasons why much of television today is just so . . . so . . . ugh, you know what I mean. But that's something that's slowly been evolving over the decades, even as far back as the 80s - especially with comedies. Back in the day, comedies were pretty much an escape from the harsh realities of the world: Civil Rights, Vietnam, assassinations, things like that; comedies were particularly outlandish and fantastic as a means for people to temporarily forget about their troubles, problems, turmoil, etc. Overtime, however, audiences grew more and more "sophisticated," and were wanting more and more realism, so as a reflection of that, comedies became less outlandish and wacky, and more politically and socially conscious of the world around us for people to relate to. What seemed funny to TV audiences in the 50s and 60s would probably seem corny and stupid to TV audiences today. Heck, some people today are finding shows like M*A*S*H (the top sitcom of the 70s), CHEERS (top sitcom of the 80s) and even SEINFELD (the top sitcom of the 90s) hokey and hackneyed.