The New New Quote Thread

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Kevin Clash: I want to say how much I'm so proud of Ryan Dillon. Amazing! He is amazing and for him to step in and have done the most amazing job of just keeping that character going, I love him dearly for it.
Bill Barretta: He really does an amazing job, it really is a great job.
Kevin: And I'm just really, really honored and really, really happy for him.

crackmaster

Reaction score
"They SAID it was some sort of budget thing. But I think it's because I complained that they were always pairin' me up with a white Super Friend. Like I was gonna start super-lootin' the minute they weren't watchin'! And you think I named MYSELF Black Vulcan? **** NO! I USED to go by Supervolt. Black Vulcan was Aquaman's idea. And I said, well maybe we should just call you White Fish!"

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
“The greatest threat to a Black man is a White liberal”.
Malcolm X, 1964

D'Snowth

Reaction score
PEE-WEE: There's a lot about me you don't know anything about, Dottie. Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand.
DOTTIE: I don't understand.

Last edited:

Grumpo

Reaction score

Wisdom is the ability to turn a sputtering fuse of anger into bright sparklers of kindness.
-- Bengali proverb

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Adam Kreutinger: We were talking to Dave Goelz about performers who carry on characters, and obviously fans can be critical of how these new performers interpret these characters.
Fran Brill in an empathetic tone: I know, yeah.
Adam: Obviously in the case of people taking on Jim Henson's characters, the original performer can't say "I approve of these choices."
Cameron Garrity: "Leave them alone!"
Fran: I think you have to be a grownup about it, and once you make a decision to leave, you can't just waltz back in and go "Excuse me, I know you've been performing this character now for a year, but I'm coming back to do some inserts." That's not who I am, I wouldn't do that.
Adam: I think from some fan perspectives, they might think "Jim might not have done it that way" or so and so, and I guess one thing that seems wonderful about you, it sounds like you want these new performers to put a lot of themselves into these characters, not necessarily just try to do what you did before.
Fran: Oh sure, because they're not me. And you can imitate somebody's voice and I know this goes on and on, but a lot of the fans say "I can do a perfect Kermit or a perfect Grover, I wish I could audition" but it is not a voiceover job. If it were it would be easy and everybody could do it, but it's so many talents at the same time, and if they don't have the voice absolutely perfect, especially in the beginning. Like when Eric Jacobson took over Grover and a lot of Frank's characters, Miss Piggy, and he is doing such a fantastic job that even I sometimes have to think "Who was that?" And I know the fans get troubled when a new person takes over a character, but all of these people are cast from within the family of the puppeteers. It's not like they have found a puppeteer from outside the group, so the ability to imitate a voice is already in the air, let's say. Cause we would all kid each other and do each other's voice sometimes, but I think you have to give a new Kermit or Prairie Dawn or whoever, you have to give that person a chance. I can tell you they worked extremely hard listening to Jim, for instance, Matt Vogel now doing Kermit, I think he's doing a great job, and he really worked at it. He went back to not what Stevie had did cause Stevie was very good too, but he went back to Jim, the original, and listened and listened. It's the intonation, the inflection, it's the humanity of that character, and the manipulation, there's just so much. Plus all these puppeteers are a unit and they're used to each other and joke around with each other. So to bring in somebody from outside the Muppet family to replace a character as important as Kermit, that almost has to be done within these performers who've been working together 10, 15, 20, 25 years, it makes perfect sense to me. Matt had to do a lot of auditioning too, they didn't just throw a major character like that around. So I hope the fans can be more understanding about what all is involved, it's not just the voice, it's finding the soul of that character, speech pattern, keeping that character alive, while improvising which is really tricky, and the quick wit that you need.
Adam: I love what you said about having the audience give the new performer a chance, because the original characters are in some way a piece of that performer, and that's what I think people fall in love with so much, how humanizing these characters can be, so when someone else takes over that, what people think they want is an impression, when really that's not what's best for this character to have a long living life as a character. So I think it's important for these new performers to try to be as honest to the character as they can be, but also in order to make this a real fleshed out character, it has to have a piece of that new performer in it.
Fran: Yeah, I mean how can it not? I have my DNA and Stephanie has her DNA and Jen Barnhart has her DNA. Fans have to be patient.

Grumpo

Reaction score
ERIC JACOBSON: I mean Muppets Now, that's exciting, that just came out very recently.
GENE BARRETTA: How many episodes did you guys make?
BILL BARRETTA: Well, there's six that are coming out.
ERIC JACOBSON: Six are coming out, yeah. Uh I don't -- We didn't actually make any episodes.
BILL BARRETTA: Right.
GENE BARRETTA: Explain that to our viewers. How did you go about production?
ERIC JACOBSON: Bill you know more about it than I do, because I just showed up.
BILL BARRETTA: Well that's not true, you didn't just show up, but we all kind of collaborated and made these amazing (I think they were amazing) kind of shorts.
ERIC JACOBSON: Yeah they were just meant to be shorts and work was put into each one individually, not knowing that they would ever come together and become this show. But as it happens, I guess Disney+ really loved the stuff that we did, and thought hey, you know, we got a lot of great material here, let's do something even more with it, and so they made a show out of it.
(...)
BILL BARRETTA: Well I'll tell you what, Jackson's favorite character on Muppets Now -- the Mole, I swear to you. I don't know if it's just in our genes because it's my favorite too. I love him, you know.

More on Eric Jacobson, the Mole and Muppets Now in Barretta Bros Ep.15.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
BULLWINKLE: I'm Little Bo-Peep, and those are my sheep!
BORIS: Your sheep? You got brand on them?
BULLWINKLE: Brand?! I wouldn't brand them, they're my little buddies!
BORIS: Buh-huh, buddies . . . what kind sheep are buddies?
BULLWINKLE: Friendsheep?