The New Movie: The Muppets

beaker

Reaction score
Oh, very nice. That's good then. That's always been a fun concept in general. My first and second year of film school that was an idea that actually got thrown around a bit, it was more of a movie about a film where everything goes horribly wrong :eek:, but same concept.

Whatever they come out with I'm sure it will be good. Thanks for the info.
I had this idea around 2000 that I posted on here, where the film starts off with the Muppets working in a zany fun chaotic dot com company...with the usual penguins flying, beaker getting the brunt of electricity, etc. My idea was that in downtown(whatever city it took place) there was a tall ornate corporate highrise, where the top floors were overrun by Dark Crystal/Labyrinth looking creatures lead by a Christopher Walken type CEO character. A not so subtle metaphor of corporate/bank company greed and excess.
Kermit would then have to travel the four corners of the globe gathering not just the muppet gang, but all the Muppets of the world to come back and help stop this menace who is threatening to not just just take over their building...but wipe out Muppet kind. So you'd see Kermit walking through the desert to find Animal who's become a new age zen guru, going through seedy underground European comedy clubs to find Fozzie, etc.
Pretty much I was influenced by the final part of Roger Rabbit where all the toons have to confront the bad guy.

Ooh - that's something i hadn't even thought of - movie merchandise! Lots of fun possibilities there - i can just picture a "The Cheapest Muppet Shirt Ever Made" T shirt! (Of course that would also probably keep it from going for "Fraggle Rock" prices!)
Why do I get the feeling "Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever" may end up not being the film script they end up going with by the time the cameras roll?

MuppetFanFamily

Reaction score
I think the biggest mistakes that are seeming to be made are that the movie must have some major be all/end all Muppet plot and that the movie should come out very soon. I think the Muppet universe is extremely underused and I have been glad to see them making little TV spots here and there. I think familiarity with the younger generation is the Muppets greatest obstacle to obtain great success with a new film. I think that a tie-in with Comedy's big names which have been discussed Segel, Rogen, Jonah Hill (Appatow Bunch) and a tie-in mini-series of Kermit getting the gang back together would be a Muppet masterpiece which could really put the Muppets of old back on top. I would love to see a new Muppet Variety show, aka a new "The Muppet Show" come as a result of this new film and series connection. If it takes a reality spoof of Kermit getting the gang together and a major motion picture to do it then so be it. I don't quite understand the funding problem with Disney owning the Muppets, If Mickey flexes his muscles I believe any Muppet project can be made and funded--and with starpower from today's new comedians and with less flash-in-the-pan pop-cult references I think the Muppets could be transformed back into the pinnacle of FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT. After all the Muppets are known for family fun comedy which spans generatons (I watched with my father and grandfather) and surely this group of young comedians/writers would know what to do with it to make another timeless Muppet pic.

Also:If anyone thinks they would stray from a PG rating- that is just ridiculous. Of course these guys can work on fam. films. Check Rogens voices for Monsters VS. Aliens, Kung-Fu Panda, and Seuss' Horton Hears A Who.

LONG LIVE THIS FRANCHISE!
ye of little faith

hoopless

Reaction score
Oh! Must have been misinformed, but don't remember where I got that information from. Sorry! But I am excited for the movie.
You're not the only one who recalls it being billed for 2010, but I too cannot remember who said it or when. Still I think it's possible. there's always a family film that gets released to cinemas on boxing day. I would hazard a guess that it's gonna be closer to the the 2011 end of 2010 if it is released this year, but scripts were being worked on throughout last year if we're to believe the whisperings from Segel and co. and even if they're not on board for this movie there's got to be every chance a script isn't far off.

Possibly just my wishful thinking that it will be in cinemas sooner than later so I can drag everyone I know to see it several times on opening week. That along with the fact that sometimes films get released months later in the UK than the US and I don't want to be forced to see a naughty copy because I can't wait.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Does anybody happen to know if there will be original songs in the movie? I loved Muppets From Space but one thing I never liked about it was the lack of such songs. The Muppets always do great songs and it's fun to watch them sing than to just hear popular lyrics in the background.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Pretty much nothing is known about the movie at this point aside from the title but i wouldn't worry about songs. The Muppets learned their lesson from MFS and original songs are pretty much a given for Muppet movies from this point on. Especially if Segel is indeed involved with the writing.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I don't want to be forced to see a naughty copy because I can't wait.
Getting a giggle out of the thought of a "naughty copy" of a Muppet flick - yeah i know you're referring to a bootleg but the term lends itself to other fun manner of interpretation.

Either way, it would be kind of a kick to view "A Cheap Copy of The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made"

hoopless

Reaction score
Getting a giggle out of the thought of a "naughty copy" of a Muppet flick - yeah i know you're referring to a bootleg but the term lends itself to other fun manner of interpretation.

Either way, it would be kind of a kick to view "A Cheap Copy of The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made"
Haha didn't even dawn on me like that when I wrote it. But wouldn't a copy of naughty Muppets just be an Avenue Q dvd?

bluebomber95

Reaction score
My friend at Disney confirmed that the current script they're working with is based on the old one by Jerry Juhl and gang, just to clear up any uncertainty. That's what he told me, and he's pretty reliable, so don't shoot the messenger if it changes as production continues!