The New Movie: The Muppets

dwmckim

Reaction score
Ooh - that's something i hadn't even thought of - movie merchandise! Lots of fun possibilities there - i can just picture a "The Cheapest Muppet Shirt Ever Made" T shirt! (Of course that would also probably keep it from going for "Fraggle Rock" prices!)

And think of all the promotional tie-in opportunities like a fast food restaurant dealio where not only would there be Muppet themed kids meals and toys but the hosting restaurant could take advantage of a "Cheapest Prices" slogan...ooh - maybe the Muppets might help combat some of the out of control inflation by encouraging places to adapt competitive pricing trends!

I can just see the commercials - Sam at his podium addressing the camera:

Sam: "With all these (ugh) MUPPETS in the news these days, it's time America got back to VALUES!"
Rizzo (pops up in front of podium interrupting him): "Like TWO HAMBOIGERS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE! Now DAT'S value! Whoohoohoo!"

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I'm so excited about the movie coming out whenever it does. I was uber excited about the Chirstmas release last year. I remember that a few years after Muppets from Space came out I started wondering why another one hadn't come out et. I hope this gives them some steam to keep them from coming.

This probably has already been said but does anyone know what "Cheapest" means in the title? I just hope it doesn't mean they plan to skimp and make it look bad.

dwmckim, that would be the coolest commercial, I totally hope they do something like that.

dwmckim

Reaction score
This probably has already been said but does anyone know what "Cheapest" means in the title? I just hope it doesn't mean they plan to skimp and make it look bad.
The concept of "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made" is an idea that had been kicked around since the mid-80's (the first time fans heard about it was when Jerry Juhl talked about it in an interview i did with him ten years ago)

The idea grew out of real life frustration within Henson Company when they were having trouble with getting funds for larger projects. Jim and Jerry had come up with an idea for a Muppet movie called "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made" which would be about Gonzo being in charge of the next Muppet film because Kermit was too involved with other things. He blows the film's budget on the opening titles and is forced to make the rest of the film with very little money left with things like every scene happening in front of the same brick wall and such.

Given that this was an idea that's been floating around for two decades and Jim and Jerry Juhl have since both passed away, it will be interesting to see how much of that original concept will remain in the final film - it could very well end up being a whole different concept just with the same title.

Interestingly enough about a year before the film was officially announced at D23, there had been numerous reports that Jason Segel and Nick Stoller were writing a Muppet film for Disney with the working title "The Greatest Muppet Movie of All Time". Muppet fans were expecting the official announcement about the movie being greenlighted to be made at D23 but instead they announced that the next Muppet film would be "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made". Aside from the title, pretty much all other details have been kept under wraps (including if Segel/Stoller are actually involved with the writing or if this is a totally different project having nothing to do with their script despite similar titles)

So it's still anyone's guess as to whether this will retain the original concept envisioned in the 80's or take a whole different direction. Heck, for all we know, it could even be an elaborate joke/marketing strategy where Disney later announces "Hey, the Muppets were doing such a good job making this movie that we've now given them much more money to now make 'The Greatest Muppet Movie Ever Made'"

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Oh, very nice. That's good then. That's always been a fun concept in general. My first and second year of film school that was an idea that actually got thrown around a bit, it was more of a movie about a film where everything goes horribly wrong :eek:, but same concept.

Whatever they come out with I'm sure it will be good. Thanks for the info.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
The movie might come out in 2012?....Hmmm.......Might not be around for that to happen..................He he he he he.:flirt::cool::sing:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Whoa - calm down everyone. It won't take that long! We already know via D23 that not only does TCMMEM have the greenlight and the next major Muppet project the team is working on, but also a high priority for the Disney Company as a whole (as evidenced by its being showcased at the opening presentation at D23). I know everyone's burnt by the slow progress on things like the Fraggle Rock movie and the Dark Crystal sequel but remember that's all Henson which is having difficulty with things like financing and organization. Not an issue with Disney; they've got the Muppets' back (this is why Jim wanted to sell the company to Disney way back when). Disney doesn't face the same uphill battles Henson Company (still an independant company) does in terms of starting at zero. All indications are that the movie is top priority for Muppet Studios and they'll want to do this as soon as they can. Unless they run into some major disaster or someone decides to change things up and focus on something else in the immediate future instead, there's no way it would take as long as 2012. I believe the 2010 date came from D23 as well - have to check the reports to see if they directly specified 2010 or if it was just heavily implied - but that was the target and not at all unrealistic - even if for some reason it took longer than expected and doesn't make it til 2011, it would at least be early 2011.

Fraggles, Dark Crystal, Farscape, any other Henson property - yeah, there's reason to be concerned. But Muppets are a whole other ballgame now. Count on 2010 to be VERY Muppety...even if the movie does end up somehow getting pushed back to 2011. Great things are ahead.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Whenever it comes out, I'm willing to wait. If it comes out next year, more power to them. But if for some reason it does take till 2012 (not that I doubt you dwmckim) I'd rather that they take the time (provided they have the funding for that) to make it look good and not rush it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Whoa - calm down everyone. It won't take that long! We already know via D23 that not only does TCMMEM have the greenlight and the next major Muppet project the team is working on, but also a high priority for the Disney Company as a whole (as evidenced by its being showcased at the opening presentation at D23). I know everyone's burnt by the slow progress on things like the Fraggle Rock movie and the Dark Crystal sequel but remember that's all Henson which is having difficulty with things like financing and organization. Not an issue with Disney; they've got the Muppets' back (this is why Jim wanted to sell the company to Disney way back when). Disney doesn't face the same uphill battles Henson Company (still an independant company) does in terms of starting at zero. All indications are that the movie is top priority for Muppet Studios and they'll want to do this as soon as they can. Unless they run into some major disaster or someone decides to change things up and focus on something else in the immediate future instead, there's no way it would take as long as 2012.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind waiting until 2011 for a new Muppet movie. if it does come out in 2010, it could easily feel rushed... that is, unless they were secretly working on the script the entire time. We have a film making culture that often announces a project coming to theaters within one or two years, and they don't even have so much as a script yet. I'm solidly sold that the TMNT movie posters were all made before the movie was even written. That's how things work these days... even the Smurfs film was hyped up before they settled on a terrible, rushed, generic movie with a big property name script. I REALLY hope there's time to reconsider and make it like the comics, TV show, other movies (that the US hasn't seen)....

But even if we have to wait until 2012 for some strange reason, it's a 2 year or less wait. Not a major problem. They still can do a couple specials to kick it off.

Reaction score
uhh..i'm sorry that this info is off topic, but can someone tell me how to make water come out of a puppet's mouth? when i say puppet i mean muppet...