The Muppets Episode 7 - Pig's in a Blackout

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Pig's in a Blackout"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

Votes: 46 92.0%
  • Bork bork! This episode was good.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Mee mee. This episode was so-so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jobi71

Reaction score
Apologies for the small delay, but I'm here to share my own review of the Muppets latest episode.

My thoughts of the episode were pretty impressed with the storyline about Kermit trying to get help with his stress after a crazy day at work, such as problems with Patrick Dempsey getting poison ivy, the big stick of butter, and Piggy getting stuck in the elevator and worrying about her legs and face, which I feel is so crazy to think about; I mean I can think of bigger problems than that, like being stuck on an elevator for one. Also, when Denise was worried about Kermit and Piggy trying to get in on the action really adds up to the Kermit/Piggy/Denise triangle, which pretty much makes it clear to me that Piggy obviously still has feelings for Kermit, even after their breakup. At the spa, I still can't help but feel that Jason Bateman would ruin Kermit's stay at the resort because of his selfish actions. Personally, I loved Jason in the movie "Teen Wolf Too", but seeing what happened made me lose a little bit of respect for him; but what do i care, it's a TV show. In the end, I really loved how Kermit was able to take care of his stress by putting in a personal swamp in his backyard, along with him singing "Rainbow Connection", which makes it a good ending to the episode. Also, I laughed a bit when his next door neighbor, Phil, shouted to Kermit to learn a new song, and Kermit shouted back "Chill out, Phil!". You just can't beat a classic song like that. :wink:

In the Scooter sub-plot, I felt pretty bad for him because he really tried his best to keep the show together, when things fell apart. It was pretty nice of Gonzo to help Scooter out by improvising that the show was to benefit the environment for one day. :concern::wink: Plus, I still can't believe that Sam is still crushing on Janice and his attempts to win her over went up in smoke, literally. :attitude::flirt:

Overall, it was still a pretty good episode to watch. That's all I got for now.
Don't lose respect for Bateman because he was a jerk to Kermit. It was all in the script. Plus Kermit getting kicked out of the spa is what propelled him to Rowlf's. So in a weird way Bateman did him a favor.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
I don't know how I'd feel with deadly being with anyone. he seems too old to have a love interest. I think I prefer him a single dude dragon monster whatever VINCENT PRICE'S BEAUTIFUL ASSISTANT!
Maybe he could just randomyl scare some people with a thinly veiled threat. He does have the eerie vibe.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
I don't know how I'd feel with deadly being with anyone. he seems too old to have a love interest. I think I prefer him a single dude dragon monster whatever VINCENT PRICE'S BEAUTIFUL ASSISTANT!
Maybe he could just randomyl scare some people with a thinly veiled threat. He does have the eerie vibe.
Too old to have a love interest? Well maybe he could be married.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
No I don't mean he's too old to fall in love I just... well all the other muppets just SEEM way too young for him. ugh it's ahrd to explain what I mean without sounding like a jerk or ageist XD

Last edited:

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
Don't lose respect for Bateman because he was a jerk to Kermit. It was all in the script. Plus Kermit getting kicked out of the spa is what propelled him to Rowlf's. So in a weird way Bateman did him a favor.
Oh right. I forgot. So I'll have to take you up on that.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I haven't had time to share my thoughts on this episode until now, and that's a shame because this was an AMAZING half-hour of TV and has not only become one of my favourite episodes of the series (tied with "Bear Left Then Bear Write") but one of my favourite Muppet productions of all time.

Am I getting too excited about it? Maybe, but I don't care. This episode had so many things going for it, long before Kermit hauled out his banjo. (That was just the cherry on the sundae. Although Kermit singing the last chorus of "Rainbow Connection" as the credits roll on a network TV show in 2015 is quite a cherry.)

"Pig's In A Blackout" had two things we expect to see in any Muppet project and two things that the show's critics (including some of us) have been wanting more of: Muppet chaos and Muppet heart.
The chaos was beautifully delivered in the opening sequence and in the segment following Scooter's attempts to fix the AC ("I BROKE KERMIT'S SHOW!!!" *runs away*).
The heart came in spades through the Kermit-and-Rowlf-at-the-piano TMM throwback sequence (smartly ended with Rowlf putting up the "Back In 10 Minutes" sign and chewing on a shoe - let him enjoy being a dog, writers!) and Gonzo's "I believe in you" sequences with Scooter. I've been desperate for Gonzo to get some more screen time in this show and I'm so happy that hints of the wacky-stuntman and deep-down-good-guy we've come to expect from Gonzo were shining brightly in this episode.

I didn't mind the bits with Kermit and Jason Bateman sparring at the spa. Bateman came off as a bit of a dink but, as others have previously mentioned, that was basically a plot device to get Kermit out of the spa. There were a few good laughs about Bateman's daughter's Wicked production, too.

Other things I really liked about this episode:
(1) Kermit and Piggy's genuine concern for each other at different points of the first 10 minutes, and Piggy and Denise competing for Kermit's attention as they tried to attend to his needs. That may be the best the writers have handled the Kermit's-new-girlfriend dynamic in the entire series.
(2) Little subtle things sprinkled throughout the episode. Fozzie falling into the elevator and then hollering, "Hey, I think the elevator's broken!" A sequence beginning with Animal standing next to Sweetums and declaring, "YOU GOT BIG MOUTH!" That's the kind of Muppety stuff that keeps me coming back to the franchise year after year. More please!

Dear ABC: Don't be fooled by the slip in ratings (especially since it looks like two different ratings Web sites cited in this thread are saying two different things). The Muppets is working. It doesn't need a major overhaul. Facebook and Twitter blew up with happiness after this episode aired. More episodes like this and the show will find the audience it deserves.