The Muppets Blu-ray Easter Eggs

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the report. Please keep going through the whole thing, I'll talk to the others who first notified me about the potential mention.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I found a very similar quote, but sorry to report they don't say "Ed", at least not in the scene I just watched.

When Gary has just scrunched Walter into a ball to throw him over the electric fence outside Kermit's mansion, on the commentary track Jason Segel says that the gag harkens back to Kermit's leg being rolled up during his post-amnesia exam in Muppets Take Manhattan.

James Bobin counters by pointing out that the Kermit scene itself harkened back to Gonzo being contorted in the Rudolph Nureyev episode of the Muppet Show.

Feeling that Bobin has shown him up, Segel mutters, "We're on the same team."

Bobin then says, "Ah, the Muppets quiz team. How we would be beaten by the men from MuppetWiki. And MuppetCentral."
Yeah, MC would whoop them - we'd call out their "Gonzo being contorted in RuNu* episode" and say "Fie! Gonzo was hardly IN that episode (much less got contorted) and you're probably thinking of the John Cleese episode...but even MORE likely, you're thinking of LINK in the PETER SELLERS episode!"

...and then they'd admit defeat and then we'd all chow down on pie and flavored coffee...until the subject of the commentary only being on the BluRay came up at which point Bobin/Segel would be weaing the pie and stuck with the bill for the coffee while Team MC claimed its prize and the accompanying free swag and went home.

*If "RuNu"'s never previously been used by anyone to refer to Rudolph Nureyev, i claim the patent for the dictionary of pop culture and any royalties connected with future usage

Cindy

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Dearth for transcribing that bit. That's how I heard it as well but didn't get a chance to go back and verify it. I've listened to the commentary a couple of times and I don't recall hearing Ed, Muppet Central, or any other fans mentioned anywhere else. Sorry.

And DW, can I hold the free swag? Pretty please?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, now I wonder how big Muppet fans the crew really is. I don't doubt they are big fans, but I now get the feeling they're not the kind of fans we are. They said they wouldn't compete against us in a quiz, made a mistake about the Rudolph Nureyev episode, seemed to think Behemoth is a new character (though later one of them does say that he's not new), and of course the fact that they didn't know until they had the Creature Shop involved with one of Jason Segel's movies that The Jim Henson Company didn't own the Muppets anymore.

It makes me wonder if they are really more fans who grew up with the Muppets and still like them heavily. It's been said that Jason Segel and Nick Stoller were more familiar with the movies than the show (so I'm guessing they didn't own copies of the seasons 1-3 DVDs until they pitched the script, if they even do have copies now). I wonder if they previously knew the names of any performer besides Jim Henson and Frank Oz, or if they could name who performed who.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, a fan isn't defined by how much they know about something; I may know everything about WWII, but that doesn't mean I'm a fan of it. Fans are measured by their affinity for the subject.

If they get a fact wrong here and there, big whoop. They were dedicated enough to go up to Disney and say they want these characters back and they were gonna show 'em how. THAT is a fan.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Thanks Phil... The reason I ask for that audio rip in particular is because I was informed by fellow forum members newsmanfan and Ruahnna that the trio of Jason, Nick, and James say that "when it comes to Muppet trivia, they wouldn't want to go up against that guy named Ed from Muppet Central and Muppet Wiki."

As you can guess, this was a second welcome surprise claim to Muppetdom fame, after getting my name on the Special Thanks section on the back of the Stepping Out Bunsen & Beaker 2-pack packaging from Palisades Toys back in 2003. And because I don't have the blueray nor a blueray player, I'm trying to get the specific segment of audio commentary that mentions my name (if true) to share with my family and close friends
I'm looking for a computer that reads blurays so that I can rip it, I'll try to gt it to you soon.