The Muppets and Lady Gaga in new Christmas special November 28 on ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have no idea where he was living at that time, but it's not unusual for foreign artists to take up residence in the US once they get famous.

Well, I wasn't really sure if Elton was British or American, but thought he lived in America at the time of The Muppet Show (which would have been after he had been famous).

Of course for years I've been surprised that certain talents would forget that they were involved with certain productions, thinking that the traveling alone would be enough for them to remember. But then again many celebrities live in towns where a lot of movies and television shows are made, so the travel wouldn't be so far on such a regular basis. And perhaps they could forget about certain guest appearances if they had traveled to certain parts of the world on such a frequent basis.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Of course for years I've been surprised that certain talents would forget that they were involved with certain productions, thinking that the traveling alone would be enough for them to remember. But then again many celebrities live in towns where a lot of movies and television shows are made, so the travel wouldn't be so far on such a regular basis. And perhaps they could forget about certain guest appearances if they had traveled to certain parts of the world on such a frequent basis.
Eh I wouldn't read too much into what he said; he's just commenting on the '70s, lol.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I have no idea where he was living at that time, but it's not unusual for foreign artists to take up residence in the US once they get famous.
While it may not be unusual for overseas celebrities to move to the US, it's bizarre to assume that most do. Most British citizens love their country as much as we do ours. :attitude:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
While it may not be unusual for overseas celebrities to move to the US, it's bizarre to assume that most do. Most British citizens love their country as much as we do ours. :attitude:
::shrugs:: I don't think anyone was saying otherwise, lol.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
::shrugs:: I don't think anyone was saying otherwise, lol.
Yes, actually. Someone was saying otherwise. :search:

I was replying to another post that made the assumption that Elton John would have needed to hop a plane from the US to the UK in order to be on the Muppet Show.

The assumption was that the UK citizen lived in the US simply because he was famous. I don't know where he was living at the time or if he was touring, but if one were to make any assumption at all it would be that he was living in England. The natural go-to being that all most internationally famous people live in America is strange to me. That's all I was saying. :coy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm, well, if anyone has an Elton John biography on hand we could settle this right now! :big_grin:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Hmm, well, if anyone has an Elton John biography on hand we could settle this right now! :big_grin:
You could easily wiki him and find out his citizenship and his several residences around the world. However, assuming that a British person wouldn't be residing in Britain, without specific knowledge otherwise, is an odd claim to make. I think the initial person posting that misspoke. It happens. You may play devil's advocate with that on another thread. This one is about the Gaga special. :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Oooh, apparently Kermit and Miss Piggy will be appearing in some sort of concert with Robbie Williams (as opposed to Robbin Williams) so that's another pop-star celebrity request for them! Love it.

beaker

Reaction score
Ive been away from the forum awhile, but how can there be anyone not stoked for this? Who cares if ya don't like Lady Gaga. One of the biggest pop stars doing a special FOR the Muppets? I wasnt a fan of John Denver's music growing up, but I loved both those specials.

Also people who thought that R rated comedy actors being in the Muppets would give it a higher rating? I swear half the reactions I see on here seem like something from The Onion.

beaker

Reaction score
This special is a great idea. I respect that people have different tastes, but this is a wonderful thing for every fan that wants to see the Muppets back on top:

• The Muppets are back on television where they started and where they belong.
  • The double-billing is in the same spirit of John Denver & the Muppets, but with an even bigger international star.
  • Lady Gaga's colorful persona is a perfect fit for the Muppets. Plus, she's a fan!
  • Like her or not (and I mostly like her), Gaga is considered an A-List performer who can actually sing, dance, compose music, play the piano and sell-out large venues.
  • Gaga's last holiday special was a ratings darling.
  • RuPaul is also a good fit for the Muppets and she's been around for years. RuPaul is outrageous yet still finds a way to keep things classy. Guest stars have dressed in drag with the Muppets before and even Gonzo wore fishnet stockings on Muppets Tonight. And don't forget Milton Bearle's integral cameo in The Muppet Movie. He was television's drag queen.
  • Elton John is there to lend his gravitas to the production. This reunion alone should have fans shrieking with delight!
  • It's also the perfect counter-programming for football. Maybe that's why it's heavier on the flamboyant side. That's not to say that some folk may prefer the games, but that's what DVR's are for.
  • This special will bring people together. I've often said that three areas that gay people and church folk usually agree are the Muppets, Dolly Parton and Christmastime pageantry. Two-out-of-three ain't bad!
  • Disney could very well be using the ratings for this to decide whether or not to revive the Muppet Show. Then we'd get a different guest every week!
  • And finally, I do not see a way that Disney could show the Muppets more love than planting this 90 minute star-studded special in the heart of prime time on the biggest holiday evening in America. Families will watch this and I'm sure it will be both outrageous and respectful to the legacy of the Muppets.
Thank you Disney executives for getting this right! This is the greatest Christmas gift you could give us fans...well...except for a return of the actual Muppet Show, but I'll count my blessings. :halo:

You pretty much nailed it. This is definitely a big deal. Im not even much of a Gaga fan(tho more so than Rhianna/Katy Perry/Drake/Bieber/Imagine Dragons or whatever garbage is on the radio) but I see this as the PERFECT team up special

Status
Not open for further replies.