The Muppet Mobile Laboratory to begin rolling through DCA in early 2007

Barry Lee

Reaction score
I am mean to people because I am a crabby person, im depressed, and I get annoyed by people easily. I hate it myself. I try to be nice, but usually somebody stabs me in the back with it, thats why I get a little over the top. I try to stop, but the way people act themselves makes me go overboard. And yes, I do need to just watch, and not gripe. And for some reason im surprised im not banned too, but in some sense I am not surprised about it. I like to tell the truth to some people or my opinion. Like they say "The Truth Hurts" and opinions can be rather nasty and bad. And yes, I really really need to stop.

And I will try my absolute best to stop my anger. its hard, but i will try.

Again, I hope you can forgive me, and just screw this whole fight, and move on.

BradFraggle

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
first off Kynan has it W.R.O.N.G..... wrong! Dave & Steve (or Vic whatever) do the voice tracks (just like the Turtle Talk at EPCOT) records the tracks then these people that Disney train, they speek/talk in the mike and we (the people watching the show) hear Steve & Dave's voice comming out of this robot/puppet! (I have some friends that work in Disney World that told me how this works!)
If this is true (and I don't know how "well" the technology will pull it off) it still isn't good.

So the characters may vocally sound like Steve and Dave, but the problem is that the person who's words are being translated into Dave and Steve's voice don't have Bunsen and Beaker's character history and soul behind what they are saying. So you may have a dead-on sound to the characters, but the soul, timing, and personality that Dave and Steve bring will not be there. It will just be a computer produced sound alike, but will it be an act alike? No, you can't have Dave's Bunsen and some DCA employee's Bunsen co-existing at the same time without one of them being a stale photocopy. I don't want a stale photocopy I want the real thing!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Hey everyone, it's fine to debate and have opinions, but let's remember we're all Muppet fans here. I used to get angry and go off at one time to, but now I wear a little bracelet that says W.W.J.D. What Would Jim Do? :smile:

He wouldn't flip at the very least methinks.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
Barry Lee said:
I am mean to people because I am a crabby person, im depressed, and I get annoyed by people easily. I hate it myself. I try to be nice, but usually somebody stabs me in the back with it, thats why I get a little over the top. I try to stop, but the way people act themselves makes me go overboard. And yes, I do need to just watch, and not gripe. And for some reason im surprised im not banned too, but in some sense I am not surprised about it. I like to tell the truth to some people or my opinion. Like they say "The Truth Hurts" and opinions can be rather nasty and bad. And yes, I really really need to stop.

And I will try my absolute best to stop my anger. its hard, but i will try.

Again, I hope you can forgive me, and just screw this whole fight, and move on.
theres REALLY NO RESON to be a "crabby person" to me..thats NO WAY TO live dude! really it isn't! I remember when I use to work at WalMart and I'd see people like that (or act like that) and to myself i'd say "why are they living like that? they MIGHT as well jump over a bridge!". sure... we ALL tend to get "over the top" at the way other people act on the boards....plan n simple, JUST DON'T post back! what YOU SHOULD really do is, IF you see somthin on that boards that bug you, DON'T post it and make people hate you, keep a note pad by your computer desk and jot down the "nasty" stuff that you planned on sayin! BELIVE ME... it works!!!

MWoO

Reaction score
BradFraggle said:
If this is true (and I don't know how "well" the technology will pull it off) it still isn't good.

So the characters may vocally sound like Steve and Dave, but the problem is that the person who's words are being translated into Dave and Steve's voice don't have Bunsen and Beaker's character history and soul behind what they are saying. So you may have a dead-on sound to the characters, but the soul, timing, and personality that Dave and Steve bring will not be there. It will just be a computer produced sound alike, but will it be an act alike? No, you can't have Dave's Bunsen and some DCA employee's Bunsen co-existing at the same time without one of them being a stale photocopy. I don't want a stale photocopy I want the real thing!

You can't have the real thing at a theme park. Dave and Steve will never ever become theme park performers, at least not full time. Using their voices is the best you can get and I hope that is the way they go.

If this were a one shot deal or even a week long attraction i can see why someone would want to have Dave and Steve, but this is suppose to be an on going thing. Dave and Steve have other things to do. hopefully they will have a fraggle movie to film, or god willing a muppet film. I'd rather have their voices and someone else move the characters at a theme aprk than have Dave and Steve become slaves to the disney the,me parks.

Also keep in mind that Muppet Vision 3d uses animatronic voices and pre-recorded tracks. You can't have Dave and Steve (or in MV3D's case Richard and Jim) stuck in a theme park attraction forever because you think the characters need "soul". I think that os a perception thing more than a tangable quality in muppet productions. What it really comes down to is good acting and puppet work, not "soul".

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
MWoO said:
You can't have the real thing at a theme park. Dave and Steve will never ever become theme park performers, at least not full time. Using their voices is the best you can get and I hope that is the way they go.

If this were a one shot deal or even a week long attraction i can see why someone would want to have Dave and Steve, but this is suppose to be an on going thing. Dave and Steve have other things to do. hopefully they will have a fraggle movie to film, or god willing a muppet film. I'd rather have their voices and someone else move the characters at a theme aprk than have Dave and Steve become slaves to the disney the,me parks.

Also keep in mind that Muppet Vision 3d uses animatronic voices and pre-recorded tracks. You can't have Dave and Steve (or in MV3D's case Richard and Jim) stuck in a theme park attraction forever because you think the characters need "soul". I think that os a perception thing more than a tangable quality in muppet productions. What it really comes down to is good acting and puppet work, not "soul".
Your right on MWoO, i STILL dont think people get it on how this works! and IF they do, then i dont know! but i do know this WE WANT & NEED somthin New of Muppets at the Parks. Steve & Dave cant (and probbly for the most part wont wana be) a performer in the park. To me the "magic" would and WILL still be there, as long as its Dave n Steve doin the voice!

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
BradFraggle said:

so what your also saying is that the Statler & Waldorf robots stink too even tho its Jim & Richard!?!

BradFraggle

Reaction score
MWoO said:
The programmed animatronics to pre-recorded vocal tracks are no diffrent from capturing Statler and Waldorf on film (except it the medium is metal and foam not photography on film). The voices, wording, content, timings, and interactions (although executed by prerecorded computerized robots) are Jim and Richard (or should I say Statler and Waldorf).

Having two guys (even if they sounded just like Jim and Richard due to computer filtering) perform them while interacting with guests would not make them Statler and Waldorf...it would be 2 characters who sounded and looked like them...but wouldn't be them. There is more to a Muppet than the puppet and voice. Something that you can't have multiple people trying to be (especially inexperienced ones).

MWoO

Reaction score
Who said they would be inexperienced? That wasn't in the article. And the animatronic movements are not the same as capturing Jim and Richard on film. They move like animatronic puppets, not live performed ones.

Fact is this is an attraction for people to have fun with, not a movie being released. You're just not going to get Steve and Dave to do a disney attracton for the rest of their lives.

I think this is being taken way to seriously. This is what amounts to a fancy walk around character. There doesn[t need to be a discussion of "soul". Save that for a movie release of a new tv show.

BradFraggle

Reaction score
MWoO said:
Who said they would be inexperienced? That wasn't in the article.
The thing is that these people would have never been Beaker and Bunsen before...they are inexperienced in the characters.

MWoO said:
And the animatronic movements are not the same as capturing Jim and Richard on film.
But, just like film, it is the same every time it's played and eveytime it's Jim and Richard's wording, interaction, timing, and has been pre-planned out as much as any on-film Statler and Waldorf bit (if not moreso). But for this we have to hope that every move and choice these "performers" make are in perfect character - that's impossible as they are not Dave and Steve.

MWoO said:
You're just not going to get Steve and Dave to do a disney attracton for the rest of their lives.
They are not able to get Wayne Allwine to do a disney attraction for the rest of his life. So what do they do? They have Mickey Mouse remain silent or act to a pre-recorded and pre-planned track. Why lower the Muppets to anything less than that?