The Muppet Mindset

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well... I considered giving a review of the Genesis Sesame Street game, Counting Cafe. I might just ask if they want one.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Is it any wonder why there's no Boober - the other four would have scared him away to shiver under the covers in his hole!

The Wembley costume looks like what would have hatched from the egg if Wembley really WAS the Baby Tree Creature's mama.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well... I considered giving a review of the Genesis Sesame Street game, Counting Cafe. I might just ask if they want one.
Hey wow that would be cool kind of do a then and now kind of deal. we could look at the histroy of the Muppets Sesame and other and Video Games. really cool idea.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wasn't expecting you to add to it and make changes, but you sure did help make it better than I had originally written it. I already thougth that that was my best-written "Weekly Muppet Wednesday" article, but you made it a lot better.

I didn't write that part about Grover having a semi-'revival' around 2004, but I was thinking about it a bit lately, and it seems like he's gotten another big revival this season. Grover was used quite a bit on the show and in direct-to-video productions around 2004 and 2005, but then it seems like he was used considerably less for a few years, especially when Global Grover stopped appearing in every episode. Of course for the last few years many of the longtime main Muppet characters seem to have been on the show less. These include Grover, Big Bird, Oscar, Cookie Monster, Bert and Ernie (in puppet form), The Count, and Mr. Snuffleupagus. Of course during those years, the only ones in that group to have a frequent recurring sketch (if not daily) were Bert and Ernie, and that is in claymation form.

But this year Grover seems to be having another big comeback. He's in "Super-Grover 2.0" (even if only six episodes have been produced and they're not in every episode), classic Super-Grover seems to be used more this year compared to the last few as well (of course if Grover isn't used much period then Super-Grover obviously can't), and regular Grover seems to have been in quite a few sketches and online skits. Also, Professor Grover hosted the two recent "Preschool is Cool!" DVDs. Outside of the "When Families Grieve" special and last season's "Marshall Grover" sketch was Grover even used in anything new during the anniversary season?

A note: When I wrote some of Grover's memorable moments, I chose not to mention any speciffic moments from any of his recurring sketches. Many of those have memorable moments, but I knew that article would be big and detailed, and there are so many great Grover moments that I chose to focus on the one-time Grover skits.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yay! I'm mentioned.

Anyway, yeah... I can't add anything I never added before.

I hope Weinstine goes under and FAST! They're sitting on the project and in desperate need to just liquidate what they have and give Henson an option to go somewhere else. This film is not going to save the studio if you never make it, and thus, you're basically delaying the inevitable and giving the major "Nyeh Nyeh" to all the fans who saw this project sit forever whilst they think of clever new ways to delay the heck out of the movie.

Man, if they were only as clever in investing money as they are in trying hard to not get a single film done, they'd have 3 Fraggle Films written, produced and on their way to theaters by now.
Really Henson... Weinstine is POISON! Get the heck out! Get the heck out if you know what's good for you, for the love of all that's holy, leave a bleeding burning building while you still can.

Luke

Reaction score
They're sitting on the project and in desperate need to just liquidate what they have and give Henson an option to go somewhere else.
Do Henson have another option though? Would they go elsewhere? My concern is if Weinsteins couldn't make it happen or if they found the interest just wasn't there then would anybody?

If of course, thats the problem and it wasn't just internal Weinstein stuff.

:smirk:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Do Henson have another option though? Would they go elsewhere? My concern is if Weinsteins couldn't make it happen or if they found the interest just wasn't there then would anybody?

If of course, thats the problem and it wasn't just internal Weinstein stuff.
That's what I was inclined to think at first. But there are some signs.

1) Weinstine has apparently pulled the same stunt with Hoodwinked 2. Even though the film was well into production at the time. Apparently there was a lawsuit that was filed directly at Weinstine from directly blocking the film. At best, the rumor is true and it gets a who cares DVD release. And it should also be known, the BK kids meal toys were released last January.

2) Henson WANTS this film to be made. They want to relaunch the Fraggles so bad. The wave of random new merchandise, comics, and reruns on the Hub are clear evidence. They're clearly biding their time, but what it all comes down to is that they don't have the financial means to go it alone.

3) I've heard of scripts being held up for years, but this is ridiculous. Wanting an "edgier" film when everyone is SICK of phony edge by now, potentially putting the film's key group, Fraggle Fans with kids of their own, to try to get kids who don't care or know who the characters are who would be content in seeing anything else. Now, had this been a bigger studio that could stand the loss, it would be a "failure to launch" franchise, and it would be put in the closet with Rocky and Bullwinkle, Speed Racer, and Underdog. No major losses. This is a minor studio that prides itself on being supposedly independent. And even then, fiddling around with the material, even a script that was considered good 2 years ago before all this Wembling and foot dragging went into high gear Something tells me either they were trying to make this the film that saved the studio, or they're just running everyone on a wild goose chase until they finally run out of money.

4) they needed to find partners for a partnership for their partnership with Henson. While this is common practice, it did send out a warning flag.

5) Haven't seen or heard them do anything else lately.

So, unless there's some idiotic contractual thing that's holding the script hostage (my biggest concern), I think Henson NEEDS to consider other options. After all, they want to launch the characters again, they would stand to lose the most if the film doesn't happen.