The Great Muppet Caper original theatrical trailer (1981)

datman24

Reaction score
Well, it appears that after nearly four decades, the original theatrical trailer for The Great Muppet Caper has finally resurfaced. I've always wanted to see the original theatrical trailer, but it until recently, it was nowhere to be found (with the exception of a 30 second TV spot). I'm surprised they haven't released this as a bonus feature or something (oh wait, I shouldn't be). Well, here is, in all its 4k glory.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I've always wondered why there's never been a real trailer for Muppet Caper, especially since I've seen ones for the original muppet movie and MTM. Usually, the 1999 Columbia home video ad is used as the "trailer" but glad to finally see the real one from 1981. Fitting that it resurfaces around the 40th anniversary.

On another note, it's interesting that Muppet Caper will be rated PG instead of the original G rating for the August re-release. Of course, all the muppet films (except maybe Christmas Carol) would have gotten a PG rating if they were released post-2000.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if The Jim Henson Company has copies of the TMM and GMC trailers in their archives, or if that’s ITC or Universal who has them (if they aren’t lost). I know, Henson has had the TDC trailer since at least the DVD release.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So clearly the audio and soundtrack was still being in editing when the trailer was put together, so some things sound a little different than in the movie. But is that shot of Beauregard saying "what color are their hands now?" a different take? Something about it seems different, maybe the tone of voice (maybe they had Dave Goelz overdub the line later, or maybe they took the audio from when he says that line later). I should watch that scene again.

I was watching the TV spot, and I feel like they re-edited the trailer. Almost every scene in this trailer is in that (I should watch both over and over a few times to see if the TV spot has anything absent from the trailer).

David French

Reaction score
So clearly the audio and soundtrack was still being in editing when the trailer was put together, so some things sound a little different than in the movie. But is that shot of Beauregard saying "what color are their hands now?" a different take? Something about it seems different, maybe the tone of voice (maybe they had Dave Goelz overdub the line later, or maybe they took the audio from when he says that line later). I should watch that scene again.

I was watching the TV spot, and I feel like they re-edited the trailer. Almost every scene in this trailer is in that (I should watch both over and over a few times to see if the TV spot has anything absent from the trailer).
I wonder if it's because we're seeing it in widescreen as opposed to the 4:3 format we're used to from the TV screenings and VHS releases? I never realized that Beaker actually saw Beauregard crash the taxi through the front door until I saw the trailer.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if it's because we're seeing it in widescreen as opposed to the 4:3 format we're used to from the TV screenings and VHS releases? I never realized that Beaker actually saw Beauregard crash the taxi through the front door until I saw the trailer.
I didn't notice Beaker there until I saw it on DVD.

I saw the recent Fanthom screening of the movie, and there are many points where I heard music or lines that I don't recall hearing before. Maybe the speakers are louder, maybe it's because I keep my TV and lap top volume at half way as opposed to all the way up.