The future of Muppets without Antron Fleece

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
I remember reading that the company that has made this special fleece for the Muppets for years, has ceased production. What does this mean for the Muppets? I assume that there are alternative fabrics that can be used; are they close enough in look or will some Muppets soon have a different appearance? Just curious for the thoughts of the professional puppet community.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
GA Stage - the primary distributor of the fleece - sells a new product that is almost exactly the same. They started carrying it when Hampshire Textiles (or whatever the name of the textile mill in New England was) ceased production.

I haven't seen the new stuff myself, but I think others here have. Maybe they can comment on it?

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
thier is a huge thread about this already, what happend is the thread that was being used was no going to be produced by the fiber company, so Hampshire mills ahd to devise a new way to make it work, i have been using the new stuff it seems fine to me, maybe a little stretchier than before, and the pile seems a little finer , but it seems ok to me

BryanS

Reaction score
What is the new stuff called This is the first time i have heard this mentioned. I never had a chance to work with the antron maybe in the future I will try this new stuff.

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
Good to hear. What little I read made it sound more dire. Glad that a substitute was found. Long live Muppet Fleece!:big_grin:

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
It's pretty much called the "New Antron". I've been using it and I like it even better than the old!
I don't think the Muppets future is anything to worry about here!:smile:

Jon
www.elmwoodproductions.com

Phantom

Reaction score
I've got 6 yards of the stuff but I haven't used it yet. Just from looking though, it does seem to be a finer pile like RF said. I'm wondering what the dye characteristics are compared to the original.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
well i have been using it on a recent project , and it seems pretty much the same as me, it took the Aljo dye like a dream, was able to get to very good 5 yard runs to die almost identical in less than perfect dying conditions, using only hot tap water , but they both are really really close to my original dye sample .

i have heard that it might be more difficult to get very vibrant clors, havnet tried yet since i was doing a skin tone, anyway its been acting the same for stitching and seem hiding.