• Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help.
  • "Muppets Now" premieres on Disney+
    The Muppets fifth series of all time debuted on Disney+. Make plans to watch one of the most anticipated shows of the year. New episodes premiere every Friday through September 4.
  • 50 Years and Counting
    Read our review and discuss with fans the highly anticipated Sesame Street "50 Years and Counting" DVD set from Shout Factory featuring over five hours of beloved moments.
  • 50 Years and Still Sunny!
    Read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the all-new Sesame Street documentary "50 Years and Still Sunny!" hosted by Gloria Estefan.
  • The Dark Crystal: "Age of Resistance"
    After a 36 year wait, return to the great conjunction. The Dark Crystal "Age of Resistance" is a mesmerizing and beautiful prequel series now on Netflix. Renew your essence today.
  • Music is Everywhere
    Muppet Central Radio is now on TorontoCast, TuneIn, Apple, Amazon and Google. Listen to Muppet music 24/7 wherever you go with TuneIn and Apple apps and devices.

The future of Muppets without Antron Fleece

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
I remember reading that the company that has made this special fleece for the Muppets for years, has ceased production. What does this mean for the Muppets? I assume that there are alternative fabrics that can be used; are they close enough in look or will some Muppets soon have a different appearance? Just curious for the thoughts of the professional puppet community.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
GA Stage - the primary distributor of the fleece - sells a new product that is almost exactly the same. They started carrying it when Hampshire Textiles (or whatever the name of the textile mill in New England was) ceased production.

I haven't seen the new stuff myself, but I think others here have. Maybe they can comment on it?

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
thier is a huge thread about this already, what happend is the thread that was being used was no going to be produced by the fiber company, so Hampshire mills ahd to devise a new way to make it work, i have been using the new stuff it seems fine to me, maybe a little stretchier than before, and the pile seems a little finer , but it seems ok to me

BryanS

Reaction score
What is the new stuff called This is the first time i have heard this mentioned. I never had a chance to work with the antron maybe in the future I will try this new stuff.

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
Good to hear. What little I read made it sound more dire. Glad that a substitute was found. Long live Muppet Fleece!:big_grin:

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
It's pretty much called the "New Antron". I've been using it and I like it even better than the old!
I don't think the Muppets future is anything to worry about here!:smile:

Jon
www.elmwoodproductions.com

Phantom

Reaction score
I've got 6 yards of the stuff but I haven't used it yet. Just from looking though, it does seem to be a finer pile like RF said. I'm wondering what the dye characteristics are compared to the original.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
well i have been using it on a recent project , and it seems pretty much the same as me, it took the Aljo dye like a dream, was able to get to very good 5 yard runs to die almost identical in less than perfect dying conditions, using only hot tap water , but they both are really really close to my original dye sample .

i have heard that it might be more difficult to get very vibrant clors, havnet tried yet since i was doing a skin tone, anyway its been acting the same for stitching and seem hiding.