The Food Thread (Non Instagram Edition)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
If all the Chinese dishes, Crab Rangoon is my favorite. There is no national Chinese chain, because there are so many regional differences: Szechuan, Cantonese, Machurian, etc. So they’re run as mom and pop places.
Each one is special. They’re altered slightly for American tastes, but still capture some authenticity.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I love crab rangoon as well, and you're right, different restaurants I've been too that offer some type of rangoon is different in their own way . . . the only ones I don't particular care for is Panda Express, because, well, there's nothing in theirs but just cream cheese. Red Lobster recently introduced crab and shrimp rangoon that's pretty good.

When it comes to Chinese, once again, their various different chickens win out with me: teriyaki chicken, General Tso's chicken, crispy chicken, mushroom chicken, sweet-and-sour chicken, etc. However, one of our local Chinese restaurants has a baked shrimp that is definitely my favorite item . . . I won't lie, if I happen to be alone at the buffet, I will load up on them, because they always go quickly, so you have to grab them while you can.

But that does bring something to mind, however . . . a lot of buffer chains are still allowing customers and patrons to serve themselves, so long as they wear fresh gloves, and face coverings . . . but this particular Chinese buffet? Nothing doing. They actually have an employee get your food for you, which, admittedly, is kind of tedious, since that means literally only one person can be served at a time.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Chicken and broccoli is my go-to chicken dish, but I also love Kung Pao.The only chicken dish I don’t like is Chow Mein.

January is a good month for Chinese food. Nothing better on a cold day than a few dishes washed down with hot tea. And it took a while, but I got the hang of using chopsticks.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I’m not big on Chinese in all honesty. I usually just get deep fried battered chicken fingers from a local Chinese resteraunt close to my old house. In the end they fill you up completely.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Speaking of which, I've never understood the joke that eating Chinese food makes you feel hungry again in an hour, because I have never experienced such in my life. If anything, all eating Chinese food makes me feel is insatiably thirsty from all the garlic and other seasonings they put in it.

Speaking of Chinese buffets, this guy is hilarious:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yeah, Chinese definitely fills you up. I think it’s just an unproved stereotype.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Chinese food is loaded with salt and MSG. That’s what makes you thirsty. Me too. Even a little packet of soy sauce is a salt bomb.
But boy, it tastes good.

Alex, you’d appreciate this. When I was ten, my parents took my siblings and me to this fancy Chinese restaurant. This wasn’t some take out joint, you actually got dressed up to eat there. waiters in tuxedos, this was swanky.
Everybody else had Chinese meals.
I had the turkey dinner.
It defeats the whole purpose of trying Chinese food.
Over time, from years of working in restaurants, I learned to appreciate other cultures and their food, and not be such a picky eater.
Even back in kindergarten, we had tasting parties to try new foods. Some things you may not like, but there might be something you used to turn up your nose at, now you love it.
For me, the two biggest things I used to hate were fish and asparagus. Now I love them, and grateful to eat them because I might’ve missed out.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I’ve given my fair share of trying different stuff at Chinese resteraunts. The most I can tolerate is lo mein and dumplings, and even then I’ve had my fair share of poorly made samples of both.

Otherwise I mostly pass, mainly because some dishes just taste really gross or I just have no desire to finish. Orange chicken especially I find myself having a difficult time swallowing.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
On the subject of fish and asparagus - both are definitely good if cooked properly. Though I hate how asparagus makes your pee smell weird.

cjd874

Reaction score
(in an uppity mock-elite tone) "As the resident expert on all matters pertaining to Chinese cuisine, I can hereby attest......."

Honestly, I've been eating Chinese food my whole life. My favorites are sweet & sour chicken (or General Tso's), beef & vegetable chow fun, boiled won-tons in noodle soup, stir-fried beef with onions and garlic, and fried pork & chive dumplings. For over ten years, whenever I visited my grandparents we'd go to a Chinese restaurant in NYC called Hop Shing. Sadly, they closed down in 2020 but I still have great memories of eating there with family & friends.