The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The last bit was a reference to that Parkay margarita commercial. You open the lid, and the margarine said @BUTTER!”
Surely margarine can’t taste as smooth and creamy as butter. When you convince yourself it’s butter, the margarine shouts back “PARKAY!!!!”
The Electric Company did a spoof of this very ad. Skip got to be the voice of the margarine.

I’ve used both butter and margarine over the years for cooking and spreading on toast. Butter gets the nod.

Xerus

Reaction score
The last bit was a reference to that Parkay margarita commercial. You open the lid, and the margarine said @BUTTER!”
Surely margarine can’t taste as smooth and creamy as butter. When you convince yourself it’s butter, the margarine shouts back “PARKAY!!!!”
The Electric Company did a spoof of this very ad. Skip got to be the voice of the margarine.

I’ve used both butter and margarine over the years for cooking and spreading on toast. Butter gets the nod.
Yes, I remember that. Judy was about to open a tub of butter, but Skip kept saying, "BUTTER!" So Judy shoved the butter back into the fridge and shouted, "BUTTER! BUT OUT!" and went, "I really hate it when food tries to make small talk."

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this cartoon by John and Faith Hubley? We see an unhappy man standing in an alley while jazz music played. He started singing, "My name is MILT! I'm full of GUILT!" and he started beating his head. And said, "Just Milt with Guilt!" Then a shorter man danced in and sang, "My name is WALT. It's not your FAULT." Milt started feeling better as Walt danced an sang, "Walt says, it's not your fault. IT'S HIS FAULT!" and Walt pointed to a cute little puppy dog who felt embarrassed.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
You know what, Cullen? The Electric Company got so much mileage out of silent e.
Besides Tom Lehrer’s song, and the one with the monsters, I have two.favorites.

1) Morgan Freeman sitting in a tub. But he’s also sitting in a tube. In the end, he stands up with an inner tube around his waist, and nothing else.

2) Three burglars capture the silent e (Judy) and have her tied up. They demonstrate how cap becomes cape, tap becomes tape, etc.

In the end, Judy manages to tie them up.
“Silent e triumphs again!”

She tries to fly, but has no cape.
“Up, up, and away!
Up, up, and away!”
So, she walks out.
“Well, you can’t win them all”.

True story. Once when I was about five, after seeing the tub(tube clip, my mom let me try that.
I took a bath, sitting on a tube in the tub. However, the rubber had some film on it, which turned the water black and got all over my skin and left a black ring around the tub.
Five-year-old-me had to clean it up.

Xerus

Reaction score
You know what, Cullen? The Electric Company got so much mileage out of silent e.
Besides Tom Lehrer’s song, and the one with the monsters, I have two.favorites.

1) Morgan Freeman sitting in a tub. But he’s also sitting in a tube. In the end, he stands up with an inner tube around his waist, and nothing else.

2) Three burglars capture the silent e (Judy) and have her tied up. They demonstrate how cap becomes cape, tap becomes tape, etc.

In the end, Judy manages to tie them up.
“Silent e triumphs again!”

She tries to fly, but has no cape.
“Up, up, and away!
Up, up, and away!”
So, she walks out.
“Well, you can’t win them all”.

True story. Once when I was about five, after seeing the tub(tube clip, my mom let me try that.
I took a bath, sitting on a tube in the tub. However, the rubber had some film on it, which turned the water black and got all over my skin and left a black ring around the tub.
Five-year-old-me had to clean it up.
Wow, I remember trying to imitate the power of silent E by taping a paper E to my shirt and went around the house silent.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this cartoon by Fred Garbers? It was the story of a cowboy named TEX from TEXAS. Known for being the funniest cowboy around. When he heard that cowboys carry SIX shooters, instead he wore a belt with six guns, which made his pants fall down. And when Tex heard that cowboys wear ten gallon hats, he had a hat filled with ten gallons of water which soaked him. And when he tried to chop down a tree, he didn't use and AX, but a SAX. The sax ended up getting damaged and said it could use some sharpening. Then Tex decided to move to MEXICO where he hoped he wouldn't have any problems. He ended up eating some Mexican jumping beans and started bouncing all the way to California.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The Electric Company had another maverick cowboy.

Luis Avalos as Wild Cold Bill.
He packed a six-shooter that made his pants drop too, exposing his polka dot underwear.

The”LD” cluster in WILD and COLD rarely got mentioned, so it’s nice they got a shoutout.

Xerus

Reaction score
The Electric Company had another maverick cowboy.

Luis Avalos as Wild Cold Bill.
He packed a six-shooter that made his pants drop too, exposing his polka dot underwear.

The”LD” cluster in WILD and COLD rarely got mentioned, so it’s nice they got a shoutout.
Acutally, Luis didn't wear pants in the first place for some reason. That's why he was Both WILD and COLD. I love how when Jim Boyd was singing. Every time he mentioned, WILD, Luis started cackling evily. But when Jim sang, COLD, Luis started shivering.

Xerus

Reaction score
What are Little Boys/Girls Made of?

I remember this skit where Stephen Gustafson and Bayn Johnson were sitting on chairs, holding books. Bayn looked into her book and started singing, "What are little girls made of? Sugar and spice and everything nice. That's what little girls are made of. What are little boys made of? Snips and snails and puppy dog tails. That's what little boys are made of."
Stephen felt insulted hearing that's what little boys are made of. Bayn explained that's what she read in her book. So Stephen decided to read from his book and sang, "What are little boys made of? Muscles and mitts and model plane kits. That's what little boys are made of. What are little girls made of? Snitches and sneers and peppers and tears. That's what little girls are made of."
Bayn became horrified and claimed that Stephen made all of that up. So Bayn made up her own song. "What are little boy's made of? Old tin cans and frying pans. That's what little boys are made of!"
Stephen replied back by singing, "What are little girls made of? A leftover shoe and a bottle of glue. That's what little girls are made of!"
The the two kids started firing back at each other singing, "Little boys are made of empty old bags! Little girls are of stinky old rags! Vinegar and oil! Things that'll spoil! Icky and Yuck! Yucky and Bleccch! That's what little boys/girls are made of!"
Then Morgan Freeman and Hattie Winston came in to set those kids straight by singing their version, and the cute music turned to jazz.
"What are little boys and girls made of? Some arms and some legs, a body and a head. A mouth and stomach that needs to be fed. They're made up of feelings. Some happy, some sad. Some small and some strong. Some good and some bad. There's no need to call each other bad names, for everyone here is quite the same."
Stephen and Bayn decided to go with that and they shook hands. And Morgan and Hattie finished, "And that's what little girls and boys are made of!"

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In the opening episode of Season 3, the two did a vaudeville skit featuring their names “Kelly and Buddy (rhymes with old fuddy sudsy)”, showcasing double consonants.
During the previous season, 5-year-old me had a huge crush on Denise Nickerson. When I found out Bayn replaced her, my heart broke.

Tomorrow will be 50 years since we first “turned it on”.