The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this skit? We see a green screen and sinister music playing. And in steps Skip Hinnant as a villainous fiend dressed in black with a top hat and mustache. He says, "I'm looking for the W-H, Wh! HEE HEE HEE HEE!" and he runs off unaware that a woman in a red turtleneck sweater with a yellow WH on it, played by Hattie Winston, was sneaking behind him. "Too bad he went the wrong way," smiled the WH woman, "In the meantime, watch these scenes with the WH sound." Then it showed some WH skits and cartoons. Then we went back to the WH woman. She says, "That guy is never going to catch me." But the the fiend wraps his arms around WH's waist and arms and shouts, "GOTCHA! I'm taking this WH away! You all go out and find your own WH!" Then he picks up the WH woman and runs off cackling evily, while she seems to be laughing for some reason too. It kind of reminds me of Hanna-Barbera's Penelope Pitstop and the Hooded Claw.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
You might have stumped me this time, which is a near impossible feat.
I do remember Crank asking Bayn Johnson for words that b gin with “WH”. He gets ever more frustrated as she replies “Why?” “Which?” “When?” “Where?”
Crank fires back “So ya’s can learn how to read! Uddawise ya can’t enjoy yer funny papers dat come wit yer bubble gum!”

Back in the days when you got Bazooka bubble gum wrapped in comics the paper had a thick coat of shiny wax on it so the gum didn’t stick.
That shiny layer was called paraffin. Used in making candles.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this weird cartoon? We see a SHEPHERD with a long white beard and his SHEEP. In order to keep his sheep from getting away, the shepherd took some knitting needles and sewed all the sheep to his beard. And now he had a huge white beard covering his whole body, except the top of his head. And the shepherd just replied, "BAAAAAA!"

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Two more “sh” bits. I don’t know if we covered these yet.
One cartoon had this thing that looked like a dustball with feet.
“Shucks! I need a SHOWER!”
“Shucks! I need a SHAMPOO!”
“shucks! I need a SHOESHINE!”

He has the coolest white sneakers on his feet.

“Shucks! Don’t I look SHARP!”
And his dusty ends stick out like SHANKS.

Then another cartoon, two city kids meet up.
“Hey, Sherman!! Dig my sharp shiny shoes!”
His shoes are so shiny, Sherman almost gets blinded.
Sherman:”Wow! I need shades!”
Then some offscreen voice calls out
“Hey, dig my man’s shoes!”

There’s a stampede kicking up a ton of dust, and some guy wearing a party hat in the middle of the fray.

Sherman: “Now you got shoddy, shabby shoes!”
Friend: “Shucks! I need a shine!”

I can honestly say I never had a shoeshine. My crappy shoes weren’t worth it.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this cartoon by John and Faith Hubley? We see a shoe store and a salesman appears and does a rap about all the shoes he has. "I got red shoes. I got blue shoes. I got old shoes. I got new shoes. I got high shoes. I got low shoes. I got rain shoes. I got snow shoes." As he was signing, he didn't notice the shoes jumping off the shelves and dancing and then marching out the door. And the salesman finished with. "I'm a man who knows shoes." Then he looks at the empty shelves and shouts, "NO SHOES?!!!"

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
When, I was 20 years old, my first job at JCPenney was selling shoes on commission. Made a decent living at it. A number of shoes walked out the door too, but came right back in with the SHERIFF and the SHOPLIFTER.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this cartoon by Bruce Cayard? We see two men in a small fishing boat relaxing in the sea. Just then, a white whale rose from the far distance, spouted water, and ducked back down. The two men had this conversation.

"WHAT was that?"
"What was what?"
"That WHISPER."
"That was no whisper, that was a WHINE."
"Oh, a whine. No, it was not a whine."

Then the whale rose again, only it was a little closer, and then ducked backed down again. And the guys' conversation continued.

"I believe it was a WHOOSH."
"A whoosh? WHATEVER would whoosh and WHY?"
"Well then it must be a WHEEZE."
"A wheeze, a whoosh. I just like to know, WHERE is it coming from?"
"Where is it coming from? What where is it coming from?"

And the whale started getting ever closer to the boat, as the guys continued....

"That WHISTLE!"
"That was no whistle, that was a WHIR."
"A whir! That's no whir, that is....."

Just then, the whale swallowed up the boat and the two guys. The guys found themselves floating in the whale's stomach with a sign posted on the ribcage. "WHITE WHALE." And the guys asked.....

"Where are we?'
"I think we've been swallowed by a white whale."
"I knew it wasn't a whisper."
"A whale whispering?"
"Whales, they whine and whistle and wheeze."
"Wine!" "Wheeze!" "Whir!" "Wheeze!"
And the two guys argued as they sailed down further into the whale.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Cullen, you have a knack of pulling up things I haven’t thought about since Ford was president. Kudos to you.

You might remember the song done with Lee Chamberlin and Irene Cara at Vi’s Diner.
Irene needs a job, and Lee fills her in on the “don’ts” of the restaurant biz.

Don’t put gravy on the custard.
Don’t serve coffee cake with mustard.
Don’t put rhubarb in the barbecue.
And if you don’t do these don’ts,
Man, I’m telling you.

in comes Bill Cosby, her first customer.
“I’ll have a bowl of cornflakes with ketchup on top”.

I’ve served my share of restaurant customers, I’ve seen people eat some pretty gross things, but Cosby beats them in one fell swoop.

Xerus

Reaction score
Cullen, you have a knack of pulling up things I haven’t thought about since Ford was president. Kudos to you.

You might remember the song done with Lee Chamberlin and Irene Cara at Vi’s Diner.
Irene needs a job, and Lee fills her in on the “don’ts” of the restaurant biz.

Don’t put gravy on the custard.
Don’t serve coffee cake with mustard.
Don’t put rhubarb in the barbecue.
And if you don’t do these don’ts,
Man, I’m telling you.

in comes Bill Cosby, her first customer.
“I’ll have a bowl of cornflakes with ketchup on top”.

I’ve served my share of restaurant customers, I’ve seen people eat some pretty gross things, but Cosby beats them in one fell swoop.
Yes, that was a funny song. The way Vi can be so cool and sassy, while both talking and singing.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this skit? We see a witch played by Rita Moreno. She pulled a tray out of the oven, which had two GINGERBREAD people, she planned to eat. The witch left the kitchen to wait for them to cool. Just then the cookies came to life, played by Jim Boyd and Judy Graubart. They were surprised to find out they were cookies. They nibbled their arms and found out they were gingerbread. Jim said they have to leave. But Judy said she was still soft in the head and wasn't ready. Then she realized somebody would want to eat them. "Smart cookie!" said Jim. "Let's go before it's milk and cookies!" Then the witch came back and was shocked to see her cookies running on top of the oven. Jim told the witch that they didn't have time to talk and shouted, "TAXI!" and he and Judy disappeared behind the tea kettle. The witch goes, "That's the last time I use the margarine that talks back to you!"