The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
R. Crumb! Underground comic hero (I still have a few old Zap! Comix floating around).
After all these years, still one of the funniest minutes in tv history.
We used to leave our front door locked. If someone knocked on the door, four-year-old me would ask "Who is it?" If the answer was "It's the plumber! I've come to fix the sink!" I knew it was my dad and let him in. That was his code.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this skit? We see a king played by Morgan Freeman lying in bed. And his servants, played by Jim Boyd and Luis Avalos were in the kitchen preparing the king's breakfast. Until they spotted a note from the king saying, "Bring me my breakfast in bed." The servants couldn't read the breakfast part, but knew it started with BR. At first, they thought it was BRICKS, so they collected a pile of bricks from the chimney, placed them on a tray, approached the king and said, "Your Majesty, your bricks in bed!" And they dumped the bricks on the poor king's lap. The angry king said calmly, "I suggest you go back and READ THAT NOTE AGAIN!" The servants tried to think of another BR word and though BRANCHES. They went outside and cut some branches off a nearby tree, placed them on the same tray, and approached the king saying, "Your Majesty, your branches in bed!" And they dumped the dirty branches all over the poor king and now his bed was full of bricks and branches. The even angrier king replied, "I'll give you a hint, IT'S SOMETHING YOU EAT!" The servants tried to think of a BR word you eat and thought, BROCCOLI! They approached the king with a tray of broccoli and dumped it all over the king. The frustrated king said nothing and started nibbling on the broccoli while lying in a bed full of bricks, branches, and broccoli. The servants return to the kitchen and said, "I wonder when he's going to eat his breakfast?"
I only vaguely remember this one, but there was a short insert seen more often:
Morgan in the same king's outfit, surrounded by gold, jewels, and coins (a king's ransom?).
Evil smile on his face as he runs his hands through his riches. Looks at the camera and yells "GREEDY!!!!" and shows the word greedy spelled out in diamonds.
Ah, royalty...

Katzi428

Reaction score

(I had seen the Oscar the Grouch on EC on You Tube recently ..but I don't know where it went. Sorry!)

Xerus

Reaction score
Here's a cartoon by Jim Simon from Wantu Studios about a Copy Cat.

Xerus

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this skit? We see a copyright office run by Bill Cosby. Rita Moreno comes in and says she's a manager of a new rock band and they needed a name. Bill offered her the name, THE SENSATIONS. Rita didn't think that sounded right. Next Bill offered THE INVENTIONS. And Rita thought that sounded like they were scientists. Then Bill suggested, THE VACATIONS, for after hearing their music, people will want to take a vacation. Rita didn't like that either. Bill thought maybe if he heard the band's music, he could pick a good name. Rita invited the band in that consisted of wild hippies and they started playing their music. "I got just the name," said Bill. "THE POLLUTIONS. Because your music stinks!" The band actually liked that name and went with that.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The next time Rita went into that office, she had to face the gauntlet of Grumble, Growl, and Grunt.

Once Skip and Jim were dressed up as clowns. Jim was wearing a barrel because someone stole his pants.
Skip is standing at a fork in the road. One arrow points, left, the other right.
Jim wants to catch the pants robber, and Skip tells him he went left.
Jim:"So if I wanna catch the guy who stole my pants, I gotta go left!"
Skip (nodding in agreement): "Right!"
Then the routine begins, Jim getting angrier each time.
After three or four times, Jim finally gives up in frustration.
"I'm not going to the right, nor to the left!"
Skip:"Well, where are you going ?"
Jim:"I'm going crazy!!!!"
Skip shrugs him off: "Fine, go crazy. You won't find your pants that way!"

The same two clowns (this time Jim has pants) appear again.
Jim has a letter to mail, and asks Skip for a stamp.
Skip is happy to oblige and gives Jim a stamp.
Right on his foot.
Slapstick comedy never gets old.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Does anyone remember this skit? We see a copyright office run by Bill Cosby. Rita Moreno comes in and says she's a manager of a new rock band and they needed a name. Bill offered her the name, THE SENSATIONS. Rita didn't think that sounded right. Next Bill offered THE INVENTIONS. And Rita thought that sounded like they were scientists. Then Billion l suggested, THE VACATIONS, for after hearing their music, people will want to take a vacation. Rita didn't like that either. Bill thought maybe if he heard the band's music, he could pick a good name. Rita invited the band in that consisted of wild hippies and they started playing their music. "I got just the name," said Bill. "THE POLLUTIONS. Because your music stinks!" The band actually liked that name and went with that.
During his one season, Bill Cosby enjoyed playing corporate big shots and used car salesmen. Anything to get behind a desk and light up his cigars.
Why did he only last one season? Well, his plate was pretty full. He was working on his Master's degree, hosted a summer variety show called The New Bill Cosby Show (it tanked after a handful of episodes), and this new cartoon creation called Fat Albert.
Plus his standup comedy routine.

Xerus

Reaction score
When it looked like the Spellbinder might be reforming.