The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

JK23

Reaction score
Cosby was probably busy with his role on "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids" and other material in 1972-73. Didn't that cartoon series launch in 1972?
Yep, that show started in 1972. I’m guessin’ Cosby must’ve left TEC’s regular cast during its production sometime in season 1 to work on “Fat Albert” and then occasionally come back to do TEC while working on school and other stuff to make more appearances during TEC’s next season, which was 1972-73. Most of Cosby’s segments in season 2 were quick and short (similar to cameo appearances), but they were credited as cast appearances and he’s credited for being in all 130 episodes in season 2 (since he was already a regular in the previous year), even though he only appeared occasionally at that time.

Last edited:

Lucas Kablookas

Reaction score
Hi! Can I join in? Unfortunately, I didn't grow up watching the old Electric Company, but the more I learn about it, the more I love it and realize why so many others loved it too! Is it okay If I join in the fun to hopefully bring back some more memories of yours?

By the way, I've been working on an Electric Company wiki right here. come and check it out if you want to! WARNING: high levels of nostalgia ahead.

Lucas Kablookas

Reaction score
The one thing I hated about the "Spidey vs. the Sandman" sketch was in the last panel of the story in which Spiderman's eyes were a solid black instead of white with a thick dark outline. I really found that creepy, to be honest. Yet a black eye in comic books, the result of bullying, didn't bother me one bit.

It seems as if Spiderman, on TEC, was involved in heroic feats, only to end up in situations he didn't want to be in, in the end. There was one sketch where he ended up in prison after defeating the Fox; and after he captured the Birthday Bandit, he ended up celebrating the remainder of his birthday "in his birthday suit" (actually, a robe and pajamas, and barefoot), doing laundry.

I did learn that Oscar the Grouch did cross over to TEC, but I never saw it in the final two seasons. I even heard rumor that Grover may have appeared on TEC - is that true?
I just uploaded it to YouTube. And here it is!

Lucas Kablookas

Reaction score
I just uploaded it to YouTube. And here it is!
By the way, yes, Grover was on Sesame Street! He got lost and visited Vi's Diner in hopes that Crank and Vi could help him remember what street he lived on. Here's the episode where it happened... (it starts at 17:47.)

Lucas Kablookas

Reaction score
A Tie For My Niece: We see Skip Hinnant on the street as a necktie salesman. And Morgan Freeman comes up and asks to buy a tie for his niece. Skip started laughing at such a thought. "No one buys a tie for their niece!" he laughed. But then Morgan's niece, played by Hattie Winston, came along, and it turns out she was a policewoman who wears a tie with her uniform. Skip stopped laughing and became embarrassed. And then a Scotsman (Jim Boyd) dressed in a kilt came by and asked, "I'm looking to buy a skirt for me brother, Bert."
Speaking of IE, does anyone remember this Bruce Cayard animation?

A shady-looking THIEF steals the feathers off the head of an Indian CHIEF. The chief looks up at his bare head and says, "Good GRIEF!"

That sketch is one of my faves, but it wouldn't fly today - it looked like those feathers were growing right out of his head!

Xerus

Reaction score
Hi! Can I join in? Unfortunately, I didn't grow up watching the old Electric Company, but the more I learn about it, the more I love it and realize why so many others loved it too! Is it okay If I join in the fun to hopefully bring back some more memories of yours?

By the way, I've been working on an Electric Company wiki right here. come and check it out if you want to! WARNING: high levels of nostalgia ahead.
Sure you can join. Thank you for creating that beautiful page. Seeing all of those pics from the old show again.

Lucas Kablookas

Reaction score
?-Elevator. Does anyone remember this skit? We see an elevator operator (Jim Boyd) in an elevator, and along comes Luis Avalos in a nightgown and nightcap carrying a bed with him. "Hold it!" said Jim, "This is not the BED elevator. The bed elevator is located on the north side of the building." "I've had a rough night," yawned Luis, "Let me come in." And he stepped inside and set the bed up and went to sleep before Jim could stop him. Then an old lady (Judy Graubart) came in with a huge dog on a leash. (A person in a giant dog suit.) Jim said, "Hold it! This in not the PET elevator. The pet elevator is located on the south side of the building. "Well, I'm lousy at directions." said Judy, "But he likes you." And the dog started to cuddle Jim. Then a 1776 colonist (Skip Hinnant) came in holding a liberty bell and asked, "This is the BELL elevator, isn't it? I was told the bell elevator was located on the east side of the building." "This is the west side of the building!" shouted Jim. "Well, as long as I'm here...." said Skip. "That's it, everybody out!" shouted Jim. They all asked if this isn't the BED, PET, or BELL elevator, which elevator is this? "I'll show you," said Jim as he pushed a button, and it started to rain in the elevator getting everyone wet. "I hope my bell doesn't rust, it's already got a crack in it." said Skip. "I was just getting comfy!" shouted Luis in his soaked bed. Judy took out her umbrella while Skip tried to get his bell underneath it. Then the elevator closed as the words, WET elevator, appeared.
The short E shenannigans continue when Lee Chamberlin notices Judy Graubart in a raincoat.

"Is that your PET?" asks Lee.
"You BET!" comes the reply.
L: "It's all WET!"
J: "That's how they GET."
L: "Did you take it to a VET?"
J: "No. Why make it UPSET?"
L: "Think how sick it could GET!"
J: "It never has YET."
L: "But your PET is all WET."
J: "Well, I should hope so! Come on, Fido, it's time to go."

And Judy walks away with Fido, her pet... goldfish!

Lucas Kablookas

Reaction score
One other distinctive feature of Season 1 was the use of speech balloons above the cast's heads.
Once Skip and Judy were having a romantic dinner in a fancy restaurant. Dressed to the nines, champagne, big night out.

Skip: "Would you give me your hand?"
Judy: "Yes, if..."
Skip: "If what?"
Judy: "If..."
Skip: "If what?! If what?!"
Judy: "IF YOU PROMISE TO GIVE IT BACK!!!!"

And she hands him a mannequin's hand, with rings and painted fingernails.

Judy is cracking up over her joke, while poor Skip strokes the hand against his cheek.

Check, please. 8)
Later on, in Season 3, the two are having another chat, this time infused with GL words.

Skip: "You're glamorous."
Judy: "You make me feel glamorous, Glenn."
S: "I'm so very glad, Gladys."
J: "I'm not Gladys, I'm Glenda."
S: "You're right. You're not Gladys... and you're not glamorous."
J: "Do you like gladiolas, Glenn?"
S: "More than life."

That said, she takes the gladiolas out of their vase on the table and gives them to him... and then she pours the water in the vase onto his head!

J: "Check!"

Lucas Kablookas

Reaction score
The Electric Company had another maverick cowboy.

Luis Avalos as Wild Cold Bill.
He packed a six-shooter that made his pants drop too, exposing his polka dot underwear.

The”LD” cluster in WILD and COLD rarely got mentioned, so it’s nice they got a shoutout.
One of the rare times LD was mentioned was in a cartoon by John and Faith Hubley featuring a waiter singing to a customer at a restaurant:

I am so young and bold
With such a heart of gold
And as the years unfold
I try to break the mold!

The customer stopped him to say, "This soup is cold."