The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Thread!

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
Jim Henson and Charles Schultz are 1A and 1B for me, always have been, Im loving this thread!

This guy has all of, if not most of every Peanuts TV special and show ever made, he is a must if your a fan....

http://www.youtube.com/user/Loqcaxx

And now for my favourite Charlie Brown moment... he might have missed the football, dropped the baseball to lose the game, got a rock for halloween, had to read War and Peace on New Years (But not the other kids? What kind of a teacher is that?) ... but despite it all, he still wins in the end, ya gotta love it....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b3/FirstKissCBnHeather.jpg

Yorick

Reaction score
had to read War and Peace on New Years
Yes, and I loved how Linus explained to Charlie Brown that he had no right to complain. I won't give it away though - hilarious! But new year's eve didn't exactly turn out as well for him as that picture, if I remember right. I believe Linus wasn't the perfect friend (which he usually is) that night.

CountFan1998

Reaction score
From 'A Boy Named Charlie Brown:

Linus: You'll either be a hero or a goat.
Snoopy: (bleats)
LOL! SOOOOOOO FUUUUUNNNNNYYYYYY!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I love Charlie Brown and Snoopy. Great comic strip and great cartoon series and specials. It's all good.
I think "A Charlie Brown Christmas" will always stand out as my favorite for me (just because I love Christmas so much and watch Christmas specials most any time of the year- and this special actually has Linus reciting from Luke 2 telling Charlie Brown that Christmas is all about Jesus coming to be our Savior. That's amazing to find in any show that's not specifically marketed to a Christian audience to begin with.)
But I enjoy the Halloween and Thanksgiving and Easter and New Year's specials too. And the Arbor Day special- wow, how many other shows have made a special about Arbor Day? (Except for the Muppets and those environmental PSAs:smile:)
Has anyone ever seen this 1980s live action special that involves a really large Snoopy plush doll? I can't remember the name offhand, but I remember getting it from the library a while back- that was interesting.:big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, I got to watching some of the old Peanuts movies the other day, and I realized the main thing I like about them - Charles Schulz never really tried to outdo the specials and such on TV, the movies always had the exact same quality... in fact, it's mostly like watching extended specials, rather than half-hour ones. That's one thing you often don't see in animation; if you have a popular series or series of specials that get turned into movies, it's like the company always has to outdo themselves to make the movies even better than the series as far as quality is concerned. I remember reading even Ross Bagdasarian Jr. saying he wanted the comparison on the Chipmunks Saturday morning cartoon and The Chipmunk Adventure movie to be like comparing a dog house to the Taj Mahal. Not so with Peanuts movies, they always of the same overall quality as the specials.
I thought that A Boy Named Charlie Brown was a little bit different. There were some rather artistic scenes (such as Schroeder's piano sequence), and I thought I read that Snoopy's skating animation was rotoscoped.

It seems like the first two movies were different from the specials in that they were more musical, though most of the songs in Snoopy Come Home were soundtrack songs as opposed to spontaneous numbers sung on-screen by the characters themselves. The later two don't really have any big songs throughout.

I also like how the first three movies credited the characters at the beginning (though I prefer the flashy opening sequences in the first two as opposed to how it's done in Race for Your Life, where the credits just "casually" appear besides each character on the bus). I wish Bon Voyage had a sequence like that.

And I find it odd that A Boy Named Charlie Brown credits Shermy, who doesn't even have any lines (1969 was Shermy's last year in the strip), but doesn't credit Peppermint Patty, who appears in the background after Charlie Brown's first (or is it second?) spelling bee win. In fact I wonder why Peppermint Patty wasn't given a bigger part in that movie. Was her voice actress unavailable or something?

I also find it interesting how in Snoopy Come Home Peppermint Patty doesn't appear at the going away party. She was basically one of the main characters in the movie. Why not have her present there?

Finally, I must point out that most of the hour-long specials were more like hour-long episodes of The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hmm... I just now read that the Peanuts franchise was just sold off to the Joe Boxer company.

Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmm... I just now read that the Peanuts franchise was just sold off to the Joe Boxer company.

Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?
Not so much the franchise, but it's something allong the lines of the marketing rights and licensing. It's VERY Confusing to explain, and even I couldn;t explain it perfectly... but basically it's like...

uh...

You know how old TMNT merchandise had :Licensed by Surge marketing" and newer (prior to the sale of the entire property to Viacom) merchandise had the 4Kids logo on it? They didn't own the TMNT at the time (the creators did) but they had to have someone license them out for merchandising. I'd assume it's the same as that. they don't OWN Peanuts, but they kinda control what merchandise and stuff like that they're involved with.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had talked about Roy earleir, but I have a bit more to say. I wodner if he was meant to be a recurring character. He first appeared in a camp storyline, then wasn't seen again until the fallowing year when Linus went to camp, and then he introduced Peppermint Patty to the rest of the gang (did he make any appearances between the Linus goes to camp storyline and Peppermint Patty's debut?), and then seemed to be used less (maybe as much as Shermy?). It seems he was sort of Peppermitn Patty's best friend, and then Marcie was introduced and Roy disapeared.

I wonder if Roy was supposed to speak in It Was a Short Summer, Charlie Brown. I remember when I was in middle school, I checked out a book from the school library. That book was Charlie Brown and Charlie Schultz (I think there was also a corresponding documentary with the same title). This was the first I could remember seeing Roy, and I recall the book showed some storyboards fro It Was a Short Summer, and the storyboards seemed to show Roy in place of Sher my during Shermy's big scene. I also saw the book adaptation of the special, and while Shermy is drawn in that scene, the text refers to Shermy as Roy. So could they have meant for Roy to be in that scene, and then chose to repalce him with Shermy before animating?

It's also interesting how Roy is there during roll call, but Charlie Brown never calls his name. That would have been an opportunity to give him a line.