The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Thread!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, that's been a mystery to me as well... how is it we're still getting all of this new Peanuts stuff well after his passing, when he said he wished that no one continue his work after his passing?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, that's been a mystery to me as well... how is it we're still getting all of this new Peanuts stuff well after his passing, when he said he wished that no one continue his work after his passing?
No, they can continue his stuff IF they use his original strips as the basis... like all those rigid specials we had recently.

I understand why he wanted to end the series after his death... a LOT of comics continued posthumously by other artists just aren't that good. Some of them lost their appeal so long ago, they didn't need to be continued when they were alive (what the heck is Gasoline Alley and who the heck cares?)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been watching quite a few Peanuts specials lately, and I've noticed a credit that seems amusing to me: Graphics Blandishment. Does that mean they make the graphics bland or something? And I haven't noticed such a credit outside of Peanuts specials (and Snoopy Come Home).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I got the preview issue a week ago, and it is basically what I thought it would be...

the first comic WAS based off of old Peanuts strips, but completely redrawn in a different context. However, the second comic in the preview was a new story. I guess that there will be some new material, some reimagined old material. I don't know if I'd actually continue getting them. It did pique my interest, but I don't know if I'd want to continuously spend 4 bucks a month... I mean, I am looking for something to fill in the void left by the end of Darkwing Duck... I wish the Ghostbusters monthly series started up next month. I'd get that one.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've been watching quite a few Peanuts specials lately, and I've noticed a credit that seems amusing to me: Graphics Blandishment. Does that mean they make the graphics bland or something? And I haven't noticed such a credit outside of Peanuts specials (and Snoopy Come Home).
According to the book Charles M. Schultz: Conversations, it was a term animator Bill Melendez made up to describe animation.

Unrelated but the word "blandishment" actually means "something, as an action or speech, that tends to flatter, coax, entice."

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Watching There's No Time for Love, Charlie Brown recently, and I started wondering, when Peppermint Patty criticizing Charlie Brown, without knowing he was nearby, I wonder if Charlie Brown had heard, listned to, or even cared. It's a bit hard to tell... He's standing in the next aisle, his head down like he's gloomy, but it also seems to come off as him being tired or concerned about his grade. I'm not sure if he really hears Patty when she's yelling trying to apologize. It seems even more evident when he gets on the bus that he's concerned about getting his A on the essay.

I also noticed that on disc 2 of the 1970s Collection Vol. 2 that there's actually an advertisement for the single-disc release of A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, which was included in the same collection. I guess Warner figured they could use the bonus features (which included a special outside of the box set) as a selling point. Either that or they goofed (or they thought they could make the sell to completists who were probably already aware of the single-disc CBT release). It also advertised the single-disc release of A Charlie Brown Christmas, before acknowledging a three-pack of the three big Peanuts holiday specials, yet there was no promo for the single-disc release of It's the Great Pumpkin. Strange that they would advertise only two of the three single-disc releases AND acknowledge the three-pack (if they had to only advertise only two of those DVDs it'd make most sense to NOT advertise the Thanksgiving special, since, as I said, it was on the 1970s collection).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate WB's mishandling of the license (like their mishandling of ALL their home video). They just HAAAAD to go back to cheap single disk release that cost 15 bucks or more, only to whine no one's buying them anymore.

Where the heck are the 1980's specials? Box set or otherwise? I mean, they generously put ONE episode of Charlie Brown and Snoopy and one special on a disk and charged a fortune for it. That's the best they can do, apparently. WB is now incapable of putting out a complete season/half season set of anything. Best case they have are the Mad volumes. 6 half hours (12 episodes) on a single disk. I said it a million times by now, I hope whoever's in charge of their home video line gets fired. other than the expensive MOD sets online, they just don't give the smallest crap.

Oh... More info on Boom's Peanuts comics

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Where the heck are the 1980's specials? Box set or otherwise?
She's a Good Skate, Charlie Brown was recently released as a single-disc release with one of the Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show episodes (can't remember what the disc was titled, but it wasn't named after the special). You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown has been released on DVD for a few years now (I had no idea it was going to be released until after I saw an announcement online that it was already on DVD). Happy New Year Charlie Brown was included as a bonus feature on the DVD release of I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown. I think It's Magic, Charlie Brown was included as a bonus special on Warner Home Video's release of It's the Great Pumpkin. And Someday You'll Find Her, Charlie Brown was a bonus on the DVD release of A Charlie Brown Valentine.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Snoopy's Getting Married was included in one of the "Happiness is..." DVDs, and that It's Flashbeagle Charlie Brown and Life's a Circus Charlie Brown have been bonus specials on other DVDs.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Watched Charlie Brown's All-Stars tonight (sadly underrated, especially since it sits there between the better-known Christmas and Halloween specials). Noticed that during the beginning, when Charlie Brown is running down the street/neighborhood trying to catch a fly ball, he runs past some of the girls (I think Patty, Violet, and Frieda), who seem to be playing jump rope and don't seem to be part of the game... But after he barely misses the catch, they appear with the others who call Charlie Brown a blockhead over dropping the ball.

And it seems to be inconsistient on Linus knowing that Charlie Brown turned down the offer for a sponsor. He's there when Charlie Brown turns down the offer, and even makes a comment on how Lucy'll react. After Charlie Brown tells the team he told Mr. Hennessy not to sponsor them Linus makes the same annoyed reaction as the rest of the team, as if he's just as surprised as them, only to tell the girls why Charlie Brown did what he did.

I also noticed that after they lose the game, all of the human boys except for Linus and Schroder disapear.

robodog

Reaction score
Snoopy is my absolute favorite cartoon character and he may well be my favorite fictional character period. One of my favorite toys growing up was a poseable Snoopy figure made by Knickerbocker toys. I carried that thing everywhere and it got to the point where all I had left was the head.