The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

Fluffets

Reaction score
Hi J (K, L, M, N, O, P...) (Yes, I learned my ABC's) (Hi before E, except after C)...anyway... Now, I don't know if this is a international phenomenon (do, doo, do do do) but in the UK more and more people are using the word "Muppet" to describe someone who has done something a bit stupid, "You are such a Muppet..." "What a Muppet!" "You Muppet." All this without really making any connection between the term Muppet, and the actual Muppets themselves. If you were to hear someone calling someone a Muppet, would you consider it an insult or a compliment towards the actual Muppets? -- Confused in the UK slang department
Rly do people use it often now?:confused: I've heard of worse words :embarrassed:.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hi there Jim! Ryan here, again (go figure)! I watched Muppets From Space today and I thought of a question for you... How do YOU see the Muppets living arrangements? Do you see them in a Boarding House (Muppets From Space)? Do you see them in an apartment complex (Letters to Santa)? Or... do you see them just living off on their own? This is something I've always wanted an insider opinion on. Thanks, Jim!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Here are some answers I love these Jim likes to give off topic he told me thats when he has the most fun. here ya go!

ANSWERS – July 13, 2009 – JIM LEWIS

1. From Minor Muppetz:recently read that you were a writer for Kermit's Tales, the stories from Jim Henson's Bedtime Stories (later reprinted in Jim Henson's Muppet Stories) which didn't include any established Muppet characters. What was the development process like for these stories?

I have little or no recollection of this. If you liked it, I’m proud of it. If you hated it, I was hardly involved at all. The moral of this story is: don’t trust me.
Seriously, what I recall was being given the frame of stories Kermit might tell his nephew Robin – and then I pitched a bunch of ideas, some of which were chosen. I wrote them and that’s where the amnesia kicks in.

2. From Beauregard: Hey J, (which almost rhymes...the rhyming song, the rhyming song...)

Most of us fans (by which I mean fanatic ones) are accused by friends and family of having childish hobbies, liking puppetry, or the Muppets. We're often told we're too old to watch Sesame Street, and people smile bemused from behind the check-out counter when you buy a copy of TMS Season 1, or ask them (for the third time in a week) if they have TMS 2 in yet. Do you find this regarding yourself? Do any of your friends or family think that you should get a 'grown up job'? And on the same note....
Now, I don't know if this is a international phenomenon (do, doo, do do do) but in the UK more and more people are using the word "Muppet" to describe someone who has done something a bit stupid, "You are such a Muppet..." "What a Muppet!" "You Muppet." All this without really making any connection between the term Muppet, and the actual Muppets themselves. If you were to hear someone calling someone a Muppet, would you consider it an insult or a compliment towards the actual Muppets? -- Confused in the UK slang department.

First, I think my best example of “get a grown-up job” happened about 25 years ago when I told my mother I was going to work with the Muppets. “For this you went to college? Puppets! (Odd she should use such syntax, seeing as she’s Italian.) Nonetheless, she didn’t quite connect what I was doing to a real job. I’d been a newspaper reporter and magazine writer before and those seemed like real work – this…..well, how do you tell your friends at the supermarket: My son writes for puppets. But eventually I won her over. There was stuff on TV and on video she could cite….and winning the Emmy for “Muppets Tonight” was only wonderful because of the bragging rights it gave her. So, my recommendation is, get an award, give it to yourself and tell everyone you’re an award-winning Muppet fan. For some reason, it woks.
Second: I have heard that “Muppet” is a term of some derision in the UK. Does this bother me? No. I’m sure the legal department hates it, cause it makes the term too generic…
To me, it’s a misinterpretation of who the Muppets are. It’s overemphasizing the cute or “twee” side and underplaying the anarchy and dangerous subterfuge. Our job is to correct this misconception; preferably with cannons, angry chickens and marauding lobsters.

3. From Dwayne: was watching Muppet Classic Theater the other day in I realized something. This is where we first see Andy & Randy Pig. These two where the first two Muppets created after Jim's death. Was Jim and maybe Jerry Juhl, and you working on any new Muppets or anything else. or was Jim more working on other things.

Yes, that’s where Andy and Randy first came into being – created to be brothers to Piggy for the “three pigs” scenario. Then they became nephews and then…well, who knows what. What Jim and Jerry were working on Muppet-wise isn’t something I could tell you. Don’t know. There were always lots of ideas floating about…but as for specific characters, projects, that was (is) above my pay grade.

4. From the prawncracker: Hi there Jim! Ryan here, again (go figure)! I watched Muppets From Space today and I thought of a question for you... How do YOU see the Muppets living arrangements? Do you see them in a Boarding House (Muppets From Space)? Do you see them in an apartment complex (Letters to Santa)? Or... do you see them just living off on their own? This is something I've always wanted an insider opinion on. Thanks, Jim!

I think they live however it’s funny. Location Location Location. The neighborhood, the d»cor, the essence of their habitation should always scream funny. The boarding house is a good place, but feels like a dated reference. The apartment situation might work, too, but seems a bit too specific to NY. Wherever they are, it should serve the story and force them to get along with each other. Did I mention funny? Sorry it’s not a more specific answer (e.g. “A five room condo with an ocean view), but if I can paid to scout locations I’ll start in Hawaii.

5. From fogboy4:Hiya again, Jim! It's that precocious fan again with the unanswerable questions. Okay, here’s an easier one. If you were a sandwich, what fixin’s would you have? Here’s a little tougher one now.

Pickles. Because Pickles is a funny word. And it was the name of Buddy Sorel’s wife.

It has been said that the Halloween special is underway. Are they shooting now? The last special had some location-shooting. Without divulging where, should fans expect to see the Muppets take over another neighborhood for the day as with Letters from Santa? Keeping my peepers peeled. Just hope they don’t come to San Francisco. Manholes are catching fire and exploding all over the place!

I don’t know. Won’t guess. And even if I did, couldn’t say. Hope that helps.

And since good things come in threes…
What Muppet would you most like as a drinking buddy?
I don’t drink anymore. But I’d probably most like to share a funny looking beverage with Fozzie.

What Muppet would you most like as a housekeeper?
Crazy Harry. One push does it all!

What Muppet is the most difficult to write for?
I’ve said this before, but Kermit. Because he’s sane…for the most part. He has to be the clear-headed everyfrog center, but you don’t want him to be dull. He’s a lively, charismatic guy with a penchant for surrounding himself with crazies – getting that balance just right can be tough.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have a question for Jim, regarding Clifford.

Clifford was introduced as a bass player on The Jim Henson Hour. Following that show's cancelation, he continued to be a musician for awhile, playing percussions with The Electric Mayhem in The Muppets at Walt Disney World, and singing on a few tracks on the original Muppet Beach Party and Kermit Unpigged albums. When he became the host of Muppets Tonight, he pretty much stopped being a musician, though he did occassionally sing and play instruments.

So, did you and/ or the other writers ever consider having Clifford continue to be a musician in addition to being the show's host?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow yet again you amaze me with your questions! I would have never thought of that, but now that you brought it up sounds to me like it could fit.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
2 questions for Jim!

Can we ever except a fourth volume in the Muppet-written self-help book collection or is that series finished?

Do you have a favorite sequence from something you've written that just didn't end up making the finished cut of whatever production that may be?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I know we must have talked about the Electric Mayhym band before but do you see there style having to change much, with the ever changging styles of music?

I was also thinking do you think as a bonus Feature on a Muppet dvd where you and the other people that work with the Muppets answer questions sent in by fans work? or just something like an Ask the Muppets kind of thing would work or Muppets.com or something.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Dear Jim,
I don't have a question (at this exact moment, but you and I both know that one will probably pop up by the time I finish), I just wanted to tell you how much we at Muppet Central love and appreciate you and your answers in this thread. It's truly one of the greatest things at MC and it gives us great insight into the Muppets. Thank you very, very much.

And... go figure, I do have a question. I recently discovered the other day that the inspiration I need to get back into the writing groove is watching The Muppet Movie or Muppets From Space. If you're stuck behind a massive writer's block (mine are made of cheese for some strange reason), do you have something you can watch that'll shoot you back into the mood?