The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Dwayne collects several days' worth of questions and sends them off to Jim. Then they are posted here. I hope this is a simple misunderstanding. Otherwise, I find such impatience disturbing. :crazy:
Agreed. I don't enjoy being disturbed this early in the week. :coy:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
My Question for Jim

Hey Mr. Lewis. Frogboy James again with a question. There has been much talk about a Halloween Muppet TV special. I do find it strange that the Muppets have so many Christmas specials, but have been lacking in other holiday fare since the time of Jim Henson. Hypothetically, if you wrote The Muppets Halloween what would be your focus, pitch or character inclusions? Would you write Uncle Deadly in? Would it have other Muppet monsters? What are other holidays you'd like to would like to write for the Muppets?

Ideas that come to my mind: Oh Leprechaun Brothers, Where Art Thou: St. Patrick's Day Special. Camilla's Valentine. Animal's Spring Break. Muppets' Summer Jobs. Muppet Independence.

Thanks for your time. :smile:

Fluffets

Reaction score
Ok I've prepared a question.

Since there is going to be a haloween special then will there be any other holiday-related muppet specials besides xmas specials? Any very classic, or new characters to appear in said specials? And whats the truth about the rumoured new series of the muppet show?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow this thread has really been buzng today! A few things here I feel need to be talked about.

!. The questions about the rumored hollowenn prooject, may or may not be answered the way we will like if at all. Being that it could very well be a project that is being worked on Jim may not be able to say much about it. So what i want to put out here is how would it be if we sent one question about the rumored project. I really like Frogboy4's I tink it would also give Jim a better way to ansewer, but I'll leave it up for dissution.

2. Lets all step back for a second and take a deep breath. Don't that feel good? Now we all have questions we would love answers to. Sometimes we don't get the answer we want, and other times we get somthing we would never expect. Now I can't speak for Jim, but I will always love sending questions for the fans, It's kind of like me giveing back. I do ask howere that we be patient with one another. Some people may be coming in here for the first time, and still are trying to get into the fix of how this all works. Thats fine anyone and everyone is welcome to ask Jim a question. If you are here and reading this and still are having trouble with A. Coming up with a question or B Still don't understand how all this works or C are a crazed werido who like to get shot of of cannons please contact me and I will help you.
That said lets have fun and a great day.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do ask howere that we be patient with one another. Some people may be coming in here for the first time, and still are trying to get into the fix of how this all works.
Lol, well put. It's hard being a new user on these boards sometimes. Eventually they get the hang of it. Patience is important. :smile:

Fluffets

Reaction score
Wow this thread has really been buzng today! A few things here I feel need to be talked about.

!. The questions about the rumored hollowenn prooject, may or may not be answered the way we will like if at all. Being that it could very well be a project that is being worked on Jim may not be able to say much about it. So what i want to put out here is how would it be if we sent one question about the rumored project. I really like Frogboy4's I tink it would also give Jim a better way to ansewer, but I'll leave it up for dissution.

2. Lets all step back for a second and take a deep breath. Don't that feel good? Now we all have questions we would love answers to. Sometimes we don't get the answer we want, and other times we get somthing we would never expect. Now I can't speak for Jim, but I will always love sending questions for the fans, It's kind of like me giveing back. I do ask howere that we be patient with one another. Some people may be coming in here for the first time, and still are trying to get into the fix of how this all works. Thats fine anyone and everyone is welcome to ask Jim a question. If you are here and reading this and still are having trouble with A. Coming up with a question or B Still don't understand how all this works or C are a crazed werido who like to get shot of of cannons please contact me and I will help you.
That said lets have fun and a great day.
Cool. I must admit haloween is still a while away but i just asked because lots people here mentioned it. Plus i whished to know whether they'l be more non-xmas holiday muppet things. Somehow Letters to Santa passed my mind in one second. Can't remember much of it now.:smile: The next muppet special should be a behind the scenes called (LOL) Letters To Jim Lewis! HAHAHa :big_grin:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Cool. I must admit haloween is still a while away but i just asked because lots people here mentioned it. Plus i whished to know whether they'l be more non-xmas holiday muppet things. Somehow Letters to Santa passed my mind in one second. Can't remember much of it now.:smile: The next muppet special should be a behind the scenes called (LOL) Letters To Jim Lewis! HAHAHa :big_grin:
Your fine, I know what your saying The Muppets really have run there Chirstmas movies to the ground I think. I think they need to think out of the box a little bit and do something that they have not done before. Now that said I don't know what that will or could be. I think that if a halloween sow is in the works that it really could have a lot of potental for greatness, if wrote the right way.
Also lets rembere that Jim did not write letters to Santa, that was wrote by three diffrent new Muppet writers.

Fluffets

Reaction score
Your fine, I know what your saying The Muppets really have run there Chirstmas movies to the ground I think. I think they need to think out of the box a little bit and do something that they have not done before. Now that said I don't know what that will or could be. I think that if a halloween sow is in the works that it really could have a lot of potental for greatness, if wrote the right way.
Also lets rembere that Jim did not write letters to Santa, that was wrote by three diffrent new Muppet writers.
Either do something new, or do something they haven't done for a long time. Like a fairy tale or they should bring back the very first muppets. I'm getting to know a bit about jim lewis since I just got a book called Jim Henson's Doodle Dreams which features texts by.....JIM LEWIS!:batty:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Here are some answers!

Questions for Jim Lewis 03-17-09

Q. From Antsamthompson9: ( A new question asker) have a question. Jim, I noticed that during the Muppets takeover of the Today Show, Steve Whitmire preformed Big Mean Carl and Joey Mazzarino did one of the rats. Were those segments pre-taped?

Are you crazy? It was all live—actually happening as you saw it on the screen. And they really did take over the studio and the show. I saw it on TV so it must be true. …..
Disbelief aside, you are right on all counts. I wasn’t there, but if there was an Ask Craig Shemin thread, you could ask him; he did the heavy lifting, writerly wise.

Q. From unclematt: Jim, Are the Muppeteers always grooming someone new to take over their roles in the future or is that something that is decided at a later date.

I can’t say. Not because I’m keeping some kind of confidentiality agreement, but because I don’t know. And besides, I try not to think about Muppeteer grooming habits. Sorry.

Q. From Minor Muppetz: If you can remember, was Nigel the only name for the Muppets Tonight Nigel, or did his name have any extentions, like "Nigel the Director" (which is what fans often call him to disambiguate him from the conductor of the same name) or possibly a proper last name, or was he just called Nigel?

I think he was just Nigel. But if someone didn’t remember who Nigel was on the set, then one of us might shout “oh, you know, Nigel the Director!” at which point a happy sigh would descend upon all within earshot. And I believe that his name Nigel was a tip-o-the-cap to Nigel the conductor (formerly the lead on the pilot “Muppets Sex & Violence”). By the way, thanks for “disambiguate”. Will be sprinkling it through my conversation all day; I wonder what it means.

Q, From Ryan (theprawnking): *I* have a question for yonder Jim Lewis. Jim, have you ever been in talks with the Disney people about writing material for more Muppet attractions at the Disney parks? I just returned from a trip to Walt Disney World and it just seems like a huge shame that the Muppets aren't represented more beyond Muppet*Vision 3D and a few scant pieces of merchandise here and there. I just wonder if anyone has talked to you about more attractions that may or may not come in the future. Thanks, Jim!

I am sure such talks happen all the time, but have no knowledge to share. (This is my default answer; it’s always appropriate. In fact I may franchise it; I understand several politicians are thinking of licensing the rights to that answer. My goodness, man, maybe I’ll do an attraction based on that answer. With merchandise! And a website!) Does that answer your question. If so, I’d like to know how.

Q. From Ignorance: Hello Sir Jim Lewis,
(Uhh... sorry... I've always wanted to talk to somebody whose works I've read and call them 'sir'...)
Have you ever thought about writing something in the style of a grouch?
Maybe not a whole book, but it might be neat trying something in a more grouchy point of view seeing how well the other books have done

I save my grouchiness for personal relationships, as my family and neighbors will attest. Actually, as I may have said in the past: I have come to enjoy writing as Statler & Waldorf. The older I get, the more natural their curmudgeonliness flows. I must remember, however, that they are supposed to be funny as well as grouchy. Sometimes the dark side of the crumudge dominates. As for a book or something – I’d love it!

Q. From Frogboy4: Hey Mr. Lewis. Frogboy James again with a question. There has been much talk about a Halloween Muppet TV special. I do find it strange that the Muppets have so many Christmas specials, but have been lacking in other holiday fare since the time of Jim Henson. Hypothetically, if you wrote The Muppets Halloween what would be your focus, pitch or character inclusions? Would you write Uncle Deadly in? Would it have other Muppet monsters? What are other holidays you'd like to would like to write for the Muppets? 

Ideas that come to my mind: Oh Leprechaun Brothers, Where Art Thou: St. Patrick's Day Special. Camilla's Valentine. Animal's Spring Break. Muppets' Summer Jobs. Muppet Independence. 

Thanks for your time

In the words of one of my friends from childhood, I must simply say: “don’t know, won’t say, can’t guess”. Let’s just say that– and here comes that answer again –“I am sure such talks happen all the time, but have no knowledge to share.”
Oh boy, now I have to pay myself royalties!

Thanks Jim!