The “What did you do today?” thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I attended a free lecture at UT that was being given by Alan Alda. I had brought a couple of items for him to sign in the event there may have been a meet-and-greet afterward, but that wasn't the case (same with Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood back in 2007, they almost always have meet-and-greets after their shows, but they didn't that night), however there was a Q&A session afterwards that I wish now I participated in, since I finally thought of something to ask him after lines had already formed at the microphones at the end of the aisles (and he ran out of time for everybody anyway). Either way, it was a very interesting and engaging lecture, and it's a real treat for somebody like him to visit such a sleepy, scruffy little town like ours.
He looks pretty good for 80. For the most part, time has been kind to a lot of the M*A*S*H cast.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
He looks pretty good for 80. For the most part, time has been kind to a lot of the M*A*S*H cast.
I noticed that too. The older Sesame Street cast members seemed to have aged extremely well also. I probably would never have guessed Bob and Roscoe were as old as they are.
I attended a free lecture at UT that was being given by Alan Alda. I had brought a couple of items for him to sign in the event there may have been a meet-and-greet afterward, but that wasn't the case (same with Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood back in 2007, they almost always have meet-and-greets after their shows, but they didn't that night), however there was a Q&A session afterwards that I wish now I participated in, since I finally thought of something to ask him after lines had already formed at the microphones at the end of the aisles (and he ran out of time for everybody anyway). Either way, it was a very interesting and engaging lecture, and it's a real treat for somebody like him to visit such a sleepy, scruffy little town like ours.
Hey, that's awesome! Was this the first time you've seen a M*A*S*H cast member in person?

Oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to meet Caroll Spinney or any of the other original SST cast members. :dreamy:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After losing Wayne Rogers at the beginning of the year, I'm amazed at how many of the M*A*S*H castmembers are actually still alive; yes, we've lost a few of them, but when you think of other shows from the 60s and 70s and consider most of their respective castmembers are no longer with us, it's amazing that a majority of the M*A*S*H cast is still around.

Hey, that's awesome! Was this the first time you've seen a M*A*S*H cast member in person?
Yes, and it was a rare treat, because we really don't see a lot of distinguished celebrities visit our town. Aside from the aforementioned Colin and Brad, Jerry Seinfeld's been in our town three times (missed him the first two times, but the third time was the charm . . . and a day before my birthday even). Bob Newhart came one year too, but his show wasn't very long.

Well, actually, I take that back: there's an area of my town that tries to appear rich (so much so they pretend to be their own separate town, but they really aren't) that has a really big movie theater, and a lot of big A-listers will show up like a day before the big nationwide premiere of their movies in New York or L.A. or some place like that. Tom Cruise was just here. Then again, back in the summer, Chevy Chase, Burt Reynolds, and Ariel Winter were in town filming a movie (and apparently one of the filming locations was just a few neighborhoods away from where I live).

Come to think of it, others have been in town as well . . . I've been to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Mannheim Steamroller, Hall & Oates, Earth, Wind, and Fire, and Weird Al Yankovic in concerts.

I guess more people like that come to town than I think - they just seem to be far between, I guess.

Oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to meet Caroll Spinney or any of the other original SST cast members. :dreamy:
I really want to meet Caroll too, I really do . . . but I keep feeling like I'll never have that opportunity.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I really want to meet Caroll too, I really do . . . but I keep feeling like I'll never have that opportunity.
I think I want to meet him more then anyone else in the world, but i'm honestly scared that he'll leave us before I get the chance - He doesn't quite seem as alert as he used to :frown:. I keep hoping that he might come to a convention in Dallas or Fort Worth, close to where I live but, he hasn't in several years.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I didn't want to actually say it, but that's pretty much my feelings about it as well.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It almost makes me feel guilty, I've been lucky enough to meet him twice. Both times, he was the sweetest, nicest guy you could ever want to meet. Caroll is the kind of guy you'd like to sit down and have a beer with, while he lets you pick his brain, although his wife Deb can still remember some details better than him. One advantage to being so close to New York, when Sesame milestones roll around, it's fairly easy to meet somebody.

At the big gathering at William Patterson University in 2009 (a crap load of cast members, puppeteers, and writers, featuring the elusive and partly snarky Frank Oz) Caroll was in fine form. It was bittersweet. The show was still an hour format, and it still seemed realistic (a bit of a long shot, but still in the realms of possibility) for aspiring puppeteers to dream they might be holding up Cookie or Grover someday, or maybe even bring Sherlock Hemlock back from obscurity.
There were a few aspiring hopefuls asking about how to audition, and a few puppeteers encouraging them to try. Nowadays? Keep trying, don't don't quit your day job anytime soon.

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Last night, I spent a great deal of time cleaning out bunches of files and such I let pile up on my computer, such as Adobe cache files and things like that, as well as doing a disk cleanup (I really need to defrag), and the end results are I now have regained about 44GB of space, bringing me up from 444GB (the lowest I've ever had) to 488GB of freespace on my computer. I feel like there should be more than that, but then again there's still roughly 6-7GB of files that I can't clean out until I can get external hard drives and/or USB flash drives to create backups.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I made my own Happy Tree Friends character, she's a female fox named Rose (she's foxy, just kidding! Being attracted to your own characters feels wrong to me;almost like incest in a way considering you're the one who came up with her and know everything about her making her more like my sister. But that's just my opinion):
http://happytreefanon.wikia.com/wiki/Rose_(Matthew_E._Neuman_character)

Last edited:

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I was finally able to remember all the Family Guy voice actors and who they voice. Ready?

Seth MacFarlane (Peter, Stewie, Brian, Quagmire, God, Dr. Hartman, Santa, Emperor Palpatine, Lion-O, Kermit the Frog, Carter Pewterschmidt, Kevin Swanson, Kool-Aid Man, , Jake Tucker, Tom Tucker, Seamus, Bruce, The Cowardly Lion, Ronald McDonald)
Alex Borstein (Lois, Bonnie, Loretta, Tricia Takinawa, Barbara Pewterschmidt)
Seth Green (Chris, Neil Goldman)
Alec Sulkin (Jesus Christ, Superman)
Mike Henry (Cleveland, Herbert, Conseula, Greased Up Deaf Guy)
Patrick Warburton (Joe Swanson)
Kevin Michael Richardson (Cleveland Junior, Bill Cosby, Barack Obama)
Mila Kunis (Meg)
Tara Strong (Meg's singing voice)
Danny Smith (Buzz Killington, Evil Monkey, Ernie the Giant Chicken)
Mark Hentemann (Opie)
Adam West (Mayor Adam West)
Ron MacFarlane (Himself)
Tom Kenny (Death, Spongebob)
Anne Hathaway (Mother Maggie, Herself)

Last edited: