Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
I love these scaley green dudes, and with the New show and the possible rerelease of the movie (possibly only in the UK), I've decided to move the discussion of the shows (past and Present) here so as not to junk up the other thread in the Fantasy section.

So to start things off, I'll give me 2 cents to the new show.

I love it.

A bit glib, I know, but I'll explain.

The darker grittier drawings and stylization while keeping good humor about it. I love how there is a lack of Mutants save for the Turtles themselves (so far) and a few others in one episode. Plus I have to say, Shredder never scared me until now... he's actually threatening in this series... Plus we have Casey Jones, perhaps my favorite non-Turtle character.

The plots are more or less from the classic B&W comic book itself... there are changes and the Return to New York Storyline took place before The Secret Origin/ Fugitoid saga began unlike the comic, but all and all, perfectly keeping to the creator's original ideals. As a cartoonist myself, I love to see the creators have their hands in their own creation.

I have to admit one thing... out of everything I miss in the old series, piped in cartoony music, sloppy Animation, wacko plots... the only thing I miss is... Krang. Now, i like how in this new series Shredder speaks for himself and is very threatening. he even sicks a 900 pound giant on people. But in the old series Shred head was a lacky for Krang, making him look like a total idiot who was in charge of Bebop and Rocksteady... Shredder didn't really do much, and he was more the traditional "Cowardly" supervillain that hid behind his thugs and rarely fought (he did.. rarely). But Krang made up for all that. He's a talking brain in the android body of a fat guiy with an odd shped head with Sunglasses and a tuning fork on the top of his skull... He made the badguy action sequences fun in that show, and IMO, Krang was the Best that classic Turtles had to offer.

I miss him...

Thijs

Reaction score
The new series is so extremely different from the old one, they can't be compared. But if I compare them, the character I miss is the old Raphael. Where is the old stand-up comedian of the four.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Michaelangelo is the new Jokester of the Group. I do like the new (or 1984 comic/ 1990's movies) Hot Head Raph, but I still have a soft spot for sarcastic Raph. Actually, I met Rob Paulsen (who voiced Raph in the old series) at a Warner Bros. Store promotional Autograph signing (he was with Maurice LaMarche and they were both there to promote Pinky and the Brain) but I was too star strucked to ask about it.

However, the one Turtle project that I cannot stand... the live action series they foisted on us a few years back... it started out alright until that Venus Turtle came around...Then the show took a very unpleasant twist.

I agree that both shows are great in their own rights... however, I never did like the last 2 seasons on CBS (especially the guy they got to replace Rob as Raph.... very bad imitation) and I stopped watching after that...

I wish I taped more of them, though... bought a few ones a year back for 2 bucks, but that was it..

Fozzie

Reaction score
I like the old toys and cartoon better. The new stuff is ok though. I guess I like the old figures because I grew up on them.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Michaelangelo is the new Jokester of the Group.
That's interesting, I always thought of Michaelangelo as the jokester on the first series. :stick_out_tongue: He was always my favorite - I even named our turtle after him!
Erin

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Like the artwork but gotta' say old school turtle cartoons all the way. The Archie comics series rocked too. The new video game however looks very cool even though I haven't played it yet... it got bad reviews so I'm hesitant.

jediX

Reaction score
I can't stand the new voice casting -- it's just not the same. Yecch. "Old School" Turtles toon' all the way. The old games were very fun in their day, too. Erin's right, Mikey was the jokester/easy going one, Raph was the sarcastic/short fused one, leo was the cool tempered one (I always considered him the leader), and Donnie was just kinda the guy that knew everything. I've got to pull out my tapes of that original toon' again now :smile:

Who was Venus? I never watched the live-action show.

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
jediX said:
Who was Venus?
A standard generic female character who was thrown in for no other reason then political correctness.

*puts fist through wall*

Sorry, reflex…

jediX

Reaction score
Yecch. Although, I did like Mona, the salamander-ish lizard girl from the old cartoon.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As a cartooinist myself, there is onee thing I like about the new Turtles better...

mainly because it's what the creator wanted and the old show was basically marketed towards kids. Not saying one's better than the other, just more like the real thing.

The things I DO NOT miss about the old show...

The canned Music sometimes got repetitive and annoying.

The animation in the middle episodes was awful, at like it was shot on 4's (6 frames per second... ouch)

The old figure line... it was great... until they started just making characters up to sell more toys... plus the series 1 monochromatic weopn accessorys card you had to snap the weopons out of... I hate that.

The odd Mutants like napoleon Bonafrog and Wingnut and Screwloose

And most of all

The Turtles being a rock band.... remember that? Remember how they had those weird A TMNT kinda Christmas videos? (I'd post a link, but the video was so horrible, the link I give you would be filled with nothing but, as the author says synonyms for feces and swears)

But I like both, and I think the new show is top notch. And I think that the voice actors are pretty good in the new series... they sound like they're impersonating the characters from the first movie, which I like...