Stupid Question About Maiden Names

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I haven't been around as long as many, but I've been around long enough to remember back in the old days whenever people got married, the bride almost always took their husband's last (sur) name (who came up with "surname" and when?), but I have noticed in recent years (or I guess recent decades rather) that many seem to break away from this tradition and keep their maiden names.

I'm just curious as to what the thinking is behind all of this? Those here married and reading this, did you take your husband's name, or keep your maiden name, and why?

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Well I think for some women, it's a way of keeping their sense of indipendence. Other women, like my aunt for example, just don't see the need, and just never get around to changing it legally. I think though that it's more common when people do that to hyphenate their names. This also makes it less complicated in the case of divorce or separation. At least, I'm pretty sure I heard that last bit somewhere...
:smile:

APRena

Reaction score
I dislike my last name a bit (it's often mispronounced and doesn't flow really well with my first name). I guess it depends on the guy's last name, but I plan on changing it because it's tradition, and for the sake of changing it. Hyphenated names seem kind of a mouthful, anyway.

My science teacher took his wife's last name (hyphenated) so her name wouldn't "die" or something... I think it's kind of pointless. Question for guys: would you do this?

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
My science teacher took his wife's last name (hyphenated) so her name wouldn't "die" or something... I think it's kind of pointless. Question for guys: would you do this?
Well, I remember once way back in fifth grade or so there was a boy who said he didn't like his last name so he plans to use his wife's surname when he gets married.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well I think for some women, it's a way of keeping their sense of indipendence.
I can understand that, really.
This also makes it less complicated in the case of divorce or separation.
I can so see that happening if I ever got married...

"Why aren't you changing your name?"
"Well, eventually we'll be getting divorced anyway."

:crazy: :sympathy:
I wouldn't for two reasons.

1. I like my name.
2. I've already gotten my name on top of all my work, and in my company name, etc, so it would be a hassel to do so.

sweetpig

Reaction score
Don't they use surnames like So-and-So-Lady's-Daughter in Iceland? I seem to remember someone once saying Icelandic names like "So-and-so's-dottir" literally means that person's daughter! Like Johnson means John's son! Oops... off topic maybe! Sorry

dwmckim

Reaction score
Some of it has to do with womens' lib/feminism, rebellion against the idea that the males' family name is "more important", but also more and more since women have not only joined the workforce but also have major careers, many women keep their maiden name because they have a certain career-based recognition with it they don't wish to uproot.

I like the idea of hyphenating names (which is a common practice for same-sex couples), but i often wonder (and here's my stupid question) what happens when the offspring of a hyphenated named couple ends up getting married...especially if it's to someone who also wants to hyphenate - and what if both people are originally hyphenated names? Do you then end up with a last name like Henson-Oz-Nelson-Hunt? It doesn't take too many generations following that pattern where it would really get crazy!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
... but i often wonder (and here's my stupid question) what happens when the offspring of a hyphenated named couple ends up getting married...especially if it's to someone who also wants to hyphenate - and what if both people are originally hyphenated names? Do you then end up with a last name like Henson-Oz-Nelson-Hunt? It doesn't take too many generations following that pattern where it would really get crazy!
"My name is Ulla-Inga-Hansen-Vensen-Yansen-Tallen-Hallen-Svaden-Svanson."
"No, no. Your first name."
"That vas my first name." :stick_out_tongue:

Pork

Reaction score
I actually find it quite odd how some women don't get their name changed when they get married. But perhaps it's because I'm not a fan of my last name and will be quite happy when I get to change it. And I think, for me anyway, it seems sort of significant and nice that a husband and wife share their last name.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I actually find it quite odd how some women don't get their name changed when they get married. But perhaps it's because I'm not a fan of my last name and will be quite happy when I get to change it. And I think, for me anyway, it seems sort of significant and nice that a husband and wife share their last name.
I do agree that it's nice to share your last name and it makes common sense to easily identify any children you might have as your own. It wouldn't really matter which name you agreed upon though it has become a strong tradition to go by the husband's family name.