Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Muppet Master

Reaction score
This part is really jarring to me

"Brian Henson, the company’s chairman and Jim Henson’s son, said that while Mr. Whitmire’s Kermit was “sometimes excellent, and always pretty good,” things changed when he was off set.

“He’d send emails and letters attacking everyone, attacking the writing and attacking the director,” he said. .”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/arts/television/kermit-the-frog-disney-firing.html

So pretty much all of Henson's kids didn't like Steve? Idk what's even going on anymore.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
The wording is suspect. What, exactly, does "attacking" mean? In the world of corporatized entertainment, any time a subordinate has an opinion, the employers could equate that to "hostility" and "attacking."

LipsGF4Life

Reaction score
This is definitely not a hoax. Via Tyler Bunch. Posted in the spirit of news gathering, there's two (or three) sides to every story etc

Clearly Cheryl is being delusional. It was a complete honor of Steve to peform Kermit in Jim's absense. it's what Jim would've wanted! Kermit is still Kermit! Never changed a thing!!

scooterfan360

Reaction score
whoa, what Cheryl wrote was a huge punch in the face, I'm really shocked about it, i didn't think that something like this would happen, i would like to know more, on what lead to the firing of Steve.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
1) Nobody is attacking Henson's children. It's true, we don't know the full story yet, but for the moment, it certainly looks like Whitmire is the victim of corporate meddling, and Cheryl Henson is towing the line in order to protect her's (and the Henson Co's) interests.

2) On a personal note, this is one of the reasons I've distanced myself from Muppet fandom in recent years. Many people behave like worshippers rather than fans. Everybody is fallible, including Jim Henson, and certainly his children, and it is perfectly fine to criticize their actions provided it is not directly attacking them as humans.
every one of Henson's kids have come out and said the guy was a control freak who thought he owned Kermit and the Muppets Henson's daughter even said he is making stuff up Jim never gave him the Job His son did I am guessing Brian Henson. I am inclined to side With Jim Henson's kids over Whitmire.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
If Disney and Henson's kids are telling the truth and there is no reason to think they are not, Whitmire was holding back Muppet Productions/Movies TV from happening may be this means movies and TV are in our future? that should make most of us happy! You guys do know of the Netflix/Disney deal may be Muppets Netflix Movies and TV are in our future. the possibilities are really endless and Theatrical as well.

Carpeteria

Reaction score
Without my being there to substantiate or know the full details, we all know that there have been a ton of issues with how Disney is utilizing the Muppets, mainly evidenced with how they tried to make the TV show work, and then work again, without any success. I would imagine it being very frustrating for someone like Steve (and probably Dave as well - I'd love to hear his take on all of this) who had been performing since the late 70s and who was so entrenched with what the Muppet spirit is all about. It would appear that a lot of the people given the reins for most of the Muppet productions has seemed out of touch with that spirit, something that made the TV show fail so miserably. Is it Steve's place to fight that fight? I don't know, but I do admire his attempts to keep the true spirit of the Muppets alive and active. I can't speak to his methods, though, and if he crossed lines, there likely could have been better ways to do it. Passion can be a ***** sometimes and make even the most collected people lose it, so who knows?

All this in saying, if word is getting out about him sending angry emails to higher ups regarding the creative direction of the characters, I can't totally blame him. There's a similar situation going on now with Frank Darabont and his being forced out of work as the showrunner for The Walking Dead after the first season, also reportedly because of his attitude towards producers and execs whom he felt were totally out of touch with what he was trying to do. Steve was obviously not the showrunner for any Muppet productions, but I understand why he feels he is an integral part of the company, by virtue of having been, in fact, an integral part of the company for so long.

I can see both sides, and there's little that isn't depressing about this.

gravy

Reaction score
every one of Henson's kids have come out and said the guy was a control freak who thought he owned Kermit and the Muppets Henson's daughter even said he is making stuff up Jim never gave him the Job His son did I am guessing Brian Henson. I am inclined to side With Jim Henson's kids over Whitmire.
I don't think Heather Henson answered...

mbmfrog

Reaction score
This is definitely not a hoax. Via Tyler Bunch. Posted in the spirit of news gathering, there's two (or three) sides to every story etc

Now the Brian Henson Thing I know, but this.....this is something else.