Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Winchell was reportedly "retired" by Disney during production on the Tigger Movie. Even prior to that, Jim Cummings was filling in for him more and more frequently.
Thanks for that insight, Mo. Yeah. It does seem like Jim and Paul were alternating on and off as Tigger, even as early as "The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh," there was a first season ep where Jim voiced Tigger rather than Paul. The weird thing was that Paul left "The Smurfs" to make a commitment to voice Tigger. I wonder about that. (Though there was the other reason that he read the ninth season script of "The Smurfs" and didn't like the time travel storyline, but I'm getting way off subject here.)

Okay. I'll take a look at that when I have time.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Dark times are already here. The Muppets failed in theaters and on the small screen. We won't be getting much (if anything) aside from 5 second youtube videos that aren't funny or entertaining.
I heard the Movie did pretty well! I saw it myself in theaters 6 years ago and I enjoyed it a lot. and Even Frank Oz said this.

"I thought the film was really sweet and fun, a little too safe, a little retro. I prefer more cutting edge in the Muppets. But the main thing is everybody got back to appreciating The Muppets...it brought people back to The Muppets. Although they never really left, it's always been a kind of subculture, it's always been there in our popular culture a little bit. So I'm happy that people are happy."

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I heard the Movie did pretty well! I saw it myself in theaters 6 years ago and I enjoyed it a lot. and Even Frank Oz said this.

"I thought the film was really sweet and fun, a little too safe, a little retro. I prefer more cutting edge in the Muppets. But the main thing is everybody got back to appreciating The Muppets...it brought people back to The Muppets. Although they never really left, it's always been a kind of subculture, it's always been there in our popular culture a little bit. So I'm happy that people are happy."
That maybe true about what Frank said, but the movie did not do well at the box office. It was a flop compared to the 2011 movie, which surprised everyone with how good it did. The fact remains that the Muppets need to stay true to themselves, and the best way to do that is by the current performers learn everything they possibly can from Steve Dave and maybe even Frank.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
That maybe true about what Frank said, but the movie did not do well at the box office. It was a flop compared to the 2011 movie, which surprised everyone with how good it did. The fact remains that the Muppets need to stay true to themselves, and the best way to do that is by the current performers learn everything they possibly can from Steve Dave and maybe even Frank.
I thought it was the 2011 movie you were talking about

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Here is Disney's official statement:

The role of Kermit the Frog is an iconic one that is beloved by fans and we take our responsibility to protect the integrity of that character very seriously. We raised concerns about Steve’s repeated unacceptable business conduct over a period of many years and he consistently failed to address the feedback. The decision to part ways was a difficult one which was made in consultation with the Henson family and has their full support.

Well.....ouch.

AubreeMadison

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen the post circling around Facebook from Cheryl Henson?
She said:

"Steve's version of history is ridiculously self serving. My father never asked him to perform Kermit, my brother Brian did. Steve's performance of Kermit has strayed far away from my father's good hearted, compassionate leader of the muppets. Steve performed Kermit as a bitter, angry, depressed, victim. Worst of all, in the past few years he had not been funny or fun. Recasting Kermit is long overdue. Stop with the pity party! Let's get back to the true spirit of Jim Henson's Kermit!"

I hope all that is just a hoax...

gravy

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen the post circling around Facebook from Cheryl Henson?
She said:

"Steve's version of history is ridiculously self serving. My father never asked him to perform Kermit, my brother Brian did. Steve's performance of Kermit has strayed far away from my father's good hearted, compassionate leader of the muppets. Steve performed Kermit as a bitter, angry, depressed, victim. Worst of all, in the past few years he had not been funny or fun. Recasting Kermit is long overdue. Stop with the pity party! Let's get back to the true spirit of Jim Henson's Kermit!"

I hope all that is just a hoax...
Whoa... Link to that?