Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

gravy

Reaction score
I mean, I guess you could call Matt the busiest Muppeteer now that he's taken over countless characters.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I am heartbroken to hear this news. Steve has been a friend to me since we first met online when I was 13 years old on the old Prodigy Internet service. I'm going to be 40 this year . He invited my father and I to the set of Muppet Treasure Island when I graduated HS because we were going to be in the UK traveling anyway as my graduation gift. He was a reference for me for my internship to the Jim Henson Company my senior year of college. This man has helped me achieve dreams I never thought possible and continues to be an inspiration to me in my work. He does beautiful volunteer work with Shambala Preserve the wild cat sanctuary actress Tippi Hedren founded with his wife. Even though we didn't correspond regularly over the years on email anymore he has continually called me a friend even giving me a shout out last spring during the Vulture Fest panel in NYC he was a part of. He has always taken the time to say hello and give me a hug a handshake etc introduced me to colleagues and called me his friend over the years. This a punch to the gut. Steve is a wonderful guy and I wish him the best in whatever he chooses to do next even if he decides to retire and enjoy his personal life. I can't thank him enough for his friendship over the years. I don't know the reason he is no longer working with them, but I hope it was for something logical and not something scary like ill health etc. I can't thank this man enough over the years for all he has done for me and for our friendship and believing in me. Thank you, Steve and godspeed.

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
I'm absolutely devastated. I really didn't want to see this news today! I literally saw the rumours about this last night and was relieved to see they were seemingly proved false. I can't imagine The Muppets without Steve. I can't imagine Kermit not being performed by Steve. I don't want to think of either. He's made Kermit so much his own (while keeping the spirit of Jim alive) and while I'm confident Matt will do a great job, it doesn't make this any less heartbreaking.

When I first saw the news, I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. I still can't process it. I tried writing it down in a Facebook post, but it ended up being too ludicrously long for that, so I put it in a blog I started recently. It's frustrating because I still can't find the right words! Steve is one of my favourite performers. He's given a lot of truly amaaaazing performances! And I just can't think of The Muppets without him. I knew there'd come a day when he'd retire, but I didn't think that would be now! I just hope this is something he wanted to do and it wasn't on any bad terms. After keeping Kermit alive for 27 years and working for The Muppets even longer than that, it would be even more depressing if it ended in such a negative way!

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'd like to know more about this story. At least with Kevin departing, we can assume it was because of those long-since-resolved allegations of sexual misconduct with a minor that would damage his reputation if he continued to perform, but why has Steve suddenly decided to up and leave the Muppets? Can't be because of old age or any kind of recent scandal. There has to be more. :search:

Either way, best of luck to Steve on his further career, and best of luck to Matt Vogel in continuing the legacy of his characters. I bet he must be spread even more thinly in performing so many other characters on top of the ones he's doing now.

Last edited:

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
I have just rememberd about the Hollywood bowl which isn't too far away. Do you think Matt will be ready??

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I'm really sad. Steve was an incredibly nice guy to me when I met him at the Center for Puppetry Arts back in April 2011. His Kermit is the one I grew up with, since I was born 4 years after Jim's passing. I really hope Matt's Kermit is really good and doesn't sound like Constantine's version of Kermit. I also hope they found someone to take over Rizzo because, Rizzo is very much a fan-favorite. I'll miss you, Steve.

wiley207

Reaction score
Wow, Matt Vogel seems to take over a LOT of Muppets. Like Big Bird, Count von Count, Sweetums, Floyd Pepper, Lew Zealand... Though I think the best job he's done taking over an existing Muppet character would have to be Uncle Deadly, also a former Jerry Nelson character.

But besides that, if anyone ever wondered what it'd sound like if Jerry Nelson tried performing Kermit the Frog, now we'll know!