1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    Our forum upgrade is on schedule for Saturday May 25 at 9 am central, 10 am eastern. The forum will be off-line for a minimum of eight hours.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GonzoMan, Jul 10, 2017.

1. RowlfFan12

RowlfFan12 Active Member

So am I. It was so unnecessary.

2. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

Exactly. Kermit was only bitter and depressed BECAUSE OF HOW HE WAS WRITTEN BY PEOPLE WHO CLEARLY MISUNDERSTOOD THE CHARACTER!

3. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

That's exactly what i've been thinking. If it was really Steve's fault that Kermit was depressed and mean, than how come on all the interviews we saw Kermit always showed his sweet, fun side.

4. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Steve didn't potray Kermit as angry and depressed. The scripts did.

5. Pig's Laundry

And if Cheryl had a problem with Steve personally, there was no reason for her to insult his performance.

6. JT Yorke

JT Yorke Well-Known Member

Did Cheryl remove her post to?

7. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Some person on the ToughPigs forum said,

''Truth be told-- and I'm not allowed to say who this is from-- but the Henson family and Frank Oz were never impressed with Steve's version of Kermit.''

So why was he casted???

8. LaRanaRene

Exactly. While I understand that she was posting it privately on Facebook, I don't see why her comments had to be so mean-spirited.
    And Steve doesn't write the scripts. Why is Cheryl blaming him?

9. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

This is seriously getting annoying. It's never going to be easy to fill in the role of Kermit the frog. Steve tried his best and did very well in my opinion. I'd like to see Frank oz or any of the henson family perform kermit.

10. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

*** HAS CHERYL HENSON DONE FOR THOSE CHARACTERS SINCW 1990 HER TWO BROTHERS KEPT THE MUPPETS A FOALT YOU ABANDONED THEM ONCE AND THEN AS SOON AS THEY BOUGHT THEM BACK THEY SHIP THEM DOWN TO DISNEY.
    SO SHE HAS NO IMPUT ON WHAT GOES ON ANYMORE

11. Muppet Master

Thank you! I was tempted to post something like that. What has she done for the characters? Why does her input matter?

12. Pig's Laundry

First of all, UGH, I hate anonymous sources, because you never know if they're true or not.
    But, second, I really hope Steve was aware of all this already, otherwise I imagine all of this coming out at once would really do a number on his ego.

13. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

Good question. And the way Kermit was portrayed in some of the media, it confirms my theory. It's the way it was written. IMHO, this is starting to look like
    "He Said/She Said," so now I don't know who to believe. But I kind of agree with whoever it was that said if Cheryl, Frank, and the rest of the Henson family wasn't impressed with Steve, and how Steve always had issues with Disney, why wait until NOW to get him out of there? It's been 27 years, and if he was always acting out, or the family didn't like how he did Kermit, why in the world did they wait this long to recast? Something's not right here.

14. Muppet Master

Shouldn't the muppet thought of the week been released by now?

scooterfan360 and ConsummateVs like this.
  15. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

If they were never happy how has he lasted 5 films two tv shows and 3 takeovers in the time he has performed Kermit

16. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

With all of this crap going on, it's not going to happen today.

17. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

To rephrase what I said a couple of years back, Disney is the one who won't bring in Muppet writers to work on any of these projects, and I honestly believe that's what's hurting the Muppets more than anything.

As for the Muppet Thought of the Week, didn't Oscarfan say it would be delayed till Thursday?

Zappetman and Mo Frackle like this.
  18. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

In an interview with Brian in 1990, he said if he did it'd be very emotional.

Zappetman and Muppet Master like this.
  19. LaRanaRene

I'm not sure if the Hollywood Reporter article (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...g-actor-unacceptable-business-conduct-1021701) was linked yet, but this excerpt stood out to me;

"Whitmire, who was asked to take over Kermit by Henson's family after the creator's untimely death in 1990, said that an instance of a note was over a script for the new ABC series, canceled last year, in which Kermit lied to his nephew, Robin, about his breakup with Miss Piggy.

"I don't think Kermit would lie to him," Whitmire explained. "I think that is Robin came to Kermit he would say 'things happen, people go their separate ways, but that doesn't mean we don't care about you.' Kermit is too compassionate to lie to him to spare his feelings."

He continued, "We have been doing these characters for a long, long time and we know them better than anybody. I thought I was aiding to keep it on track and I think a big reason why the show was canceled (after one season last fall) was because that didn't happen. I am not saying my notes would have saved it, but I think had they listened more to all of the performers, it would have made a really big difference.'"

20. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I can't believe Cheryl Henson had talked this way about Steve.

However, Steve did say in a Muppet Central interview that he'd heard that Jim told a few people that he wanted Steve to take over Kermit if he was unable to, and there was an interview with Jane Henson from 1990 saying that Jim told her who he would want to take over if he was no longer able to perform.