Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
@FleeceThroat's full "report."
"First let's see where this started. If you're reading this then you're probably already aware of the supposed "blackballing." I can tell you with 100% certainty that the blackballing *was* real. For the rest of this thread I'll be referring to it as "the list." I'd also like to point out (that) there *was* a list. That's no longer the case. If you are on the fence about this, allow me to elaborate.

If you were on the fence about whether it was coincidental that the performers at the 2006 audition were somehow unemployable by Disney, then you won't be after the casting is announced for the upcoming Hollywood Bowl show. As much as it's Matt's inauguration... It'll also be a homecoming for many performers who haven't picked up a Muppet in years. This will be the overwhelming proof it did exist. Unless you think it’s an 11-year conspiracy against Steve. It's not. It's just the right people finally being put in the right positions.

So, what does this have to do with Mafia dinners? It's about control, insecurity and a dash of paranoia. The list didn't exist until it became obvious that Steve could be replaced. This actually started in 2001 with John Kennedy. At the 2001 Muppetfest, John played Kermit alongside Steve who was also playing Kermit. This proved that Kermit wasn't just Steve's. Also, Drew Massey would perform Statler for the pilot and later episodes of "From the Balcony." Steve had already decided this was his. This of course, was followed by the now infamous 2006 Muppet Audition Workshop. Steve wasn't there, but he definitely knew about it. While Steve was contemplating what his next move is, Disney hired many of the '06 auditioners to perform on Disney Cruise lines. These 4 guys would be performing *ALL* of the core Muppet characters. Steve's included. All 4 of them were from the '06 audition.

So while "the list" is starting to be formed at Muppets Studio, what is happening at Sesame Workshop? In 2003 Sesame Workshop decided to replace Steve for the 2nd season of "Play With Me Sesame" with John Tartaglia. So, in a matter of only 2 years. Steve's "brinkmanship" had allowed him to be replaced in both Sesame and the Muppets.

Then '06 happens. Now Steve can ask his friends at the Muppets to not allow anyone who could actually replace him on set. These were Henson Muppeteers... but this isn't a Henson property anymore. So, there would be much less pushback. As this wouldn't fly with Henson Co. execs. But he couldn't get away with this at Sesame Workshop. They don't have Disney's deep pockets & Steve didn't have the same clout there.

So if you can't get rid of them? What's next? It's important to note that MANY of the blacklisted would continue to work with Sesame. So, in a desperate move. When he realizes he CAN'T keep these guys off set. When it dawns on him that he has no control over them... He decides to EXACTLY what Jim Henson would want him to do. If you've read his blog, his moves all revolve around Jim's wishes.

Just kidding, no one can tell you what Jim would've done. But Steve definitely did something Jim wouldn't have done. Steve asked to meet with--at least--three Sesame performers. One of which is mentioned above. He took them to dinner and he very clearly let them know that certain roles were "his." He warned them... DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN UNDERSTUDY WORKSHOPS. A performer told him "to go BLEEP himself." Steve realized he can't control Sesame & and so he grasped even harder to the Muppets. "The List" and the dinner(s) aren't mutually exclusive. This isn't about multi-casting. This isn't about "one puppet, one voice.” They are about a talented man (whose) fragile ego took over. He was on top his world and was willing to do ANYTHING to keep it that way.

Dinner guest #1 is still active with Sesame Workshop and has worked with them for over 17 years.

Dinner guest #2 is a 5 time Emmy nominee. Has been with Sesame since the late 80's & with the Muppets since "Muppets take Manhattan."

Dinner guest #3 has been w/ Sesame since the mid 90's, a Broadway star, with both Tony & Emmy noms. He's created a few shows of his own."
Hm, i'm thinking "dinner guest #1" is Eric Jacobson. He's been with Sesame for about 19 years now, and it would especially make sense because they worked together very closely for many years.

Anyway, I can't say that I trust the source, nor can I say that I don't trust them, however the full story is very interesting to read, at least to me. It's kind of like reading a "tells all" kind of biography, weather the claims are true or not. And, btw, there are a lot more tweets where those came from.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
This guy has some kind of personal issue with Steve. I personally think he is full of crap. He won't tell us who he really is, and where his sources are coming from. He is simply one of the many trolls Steve has on his blog. Some of those trolls are even here on the forum.
i think that i seen that somewhere, please ignore that troll.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
Hm, i'm thinking "dinner guest #1" is Eric Jacobson. He's been with Sesame for about 19 years now, and it would especially make sense because they worked together very closely for many years.

Anyway, I can't say that I trust the source, nor can I say that I don't trust them, however the full story is very interesting to read, at least to me. It's kind of like reading a "tells all" kind of biography, weather the claims are true or not. And, btw, there are a lot more tweets where those came from.
It kind of fits with what Jim Henson's kids have said and Disney Executives. Have any of the veteran Muppet Performers like Dave Goelz said anything yet? that to me will be the big tamale so to speak...

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
i think that i seen that somewhere, please ignore that troll.
Most likely the poster is posting BS that much Is clear but what he Is saying Is basically known stuff that you can get in the Trade Hollywood Paper articles about all this. so Is It really that big a deal. I don't hate Whitmire I loved his contribution to the Muppets but if this stuff Is true from Jim Henson's kids and the Disney Executives and all the rumors turn out to be true Steve comes off looking like a jerk. Only time will tell when more comes out on this from credible sources.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I like how that acknowledged that they're doing it more than once a week now. Though initially I felt that they were just sort of catching up since the one with Matt's Kermit was delayed for so long. Who knows?
I think it's odd that they didn't post any new "Thought of the Week" videos, period, during this delay. If they had cold feet about uploading the new Kermit video, couldn't they have just posted one with a different character?

Unless that was the last one produced at the time and they didn't have time to do more until now. Or unless maybe they didn't want to after already announcing the Kermit one was supposed to debut.

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
I still think the "dark brooding Kermit" had to do with the writing.
See, that's the thing that I hate to argue.

But seriously, you shouldn't blame the performer for the writing of their character. They get a script and they have to go with it.

It's not like I'm going to blame Eric for Piggy's writing because I still think she's the worst written character in The Muppets. And she's my favorite character...

So, if Kermit starts acting like a "jerk" or "depressed victim" again, are you gonna blame Matt for that? That's when we know it's the writers' fault and not the performer.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Yeah, I never saw Steve's portrayal as "brooding." Recent portrayals by the writers aside, this is the only depressed Kermit I've come across.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
See, that's the thing that I hate to argue.

But seriously, you shouldn't blame the performer for the writing of their character. They get a script and they have to go with it.

It's not like I'm going to blame Eric for Piggy's writing because I still think she's the worst written character in The Muppets. And she's my favorite character...

So, if Kermit starts acting like a "jerk" or "depressed victim" again, are you gonna blame Matt for that? That's when we know it's the writers' fault and not the performer.
I wasn't blaming Steve for Kermit acting like a "jerk or depressed victim." I was blaming the writers for writing him that way.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Exactly! I think that's the problem on the writer's end that they seemed to be blaming Steve for. Was it really Steve's fault that Kermit was ready to commit 'frogcicle' suicide in VMX? Heck, no! It's just the way the scripts are written. Just like the idea sort of similar to what xSunnyEclipse said, yes Eric's Piggy was a jerk when she was on Good Luck Charlie, but again, that was due to the writers not Eric. I think the whole issue there is people would rather find scapegoats to take the blame rather than admit themselves to being wrong.