Steve Whitmire 2018 Convention Appearances

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think he was the father bird in episode 3854, and he was Dr. Feel. But he also played some one-time characters in home videos. The King of Reading and Writing from Talk, Read, Write, the lead of the Frosty Four, Mo, and a Troll on Bert and Ernie's Word Play, a doctor in Sesame Street Goes to the Doctor, and in the movie Elmo in Grouchland, he was the Stuckweed, Sharon Groan, the Bad Humor man, and the Football Stenchman.
He also voiced Bernie the Tiger taking a bath in the jungle Journey to Ernie; I've never been sure if it was he or Joey who did the radio announcer in the beach JTE.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
He also voiced Bernie the Tiger taking a bath in the jungle Journey to Ernie; I've never been sure if it was he or Joey who did the radio announcer in the beach JTE.
Joey was the radio announcer. I also just remembered he was Humpty Dumpty in the Nursery Rhyme JTE.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Actually, puppeteers get offended by those types of questions, I know Eric Jacobson got offended when somebody ask Grover about his liberal agenda .
Lol, I saw that. Why would anyone even ask something like that? It's so random.

pjtoadie

Reaction score
As promised, here's my details of meeting Steve Whitmire at the Knoxville Fanboy Expo:

As it turns out, he was having a panel Saturday afternoon, so that was the day I went so I could sit in on it. I have to say, I actually enjoyed Steve's panel a little more than the Sesame Panel last October - while the Sesame Panel was fun, most of the questions were already pre-planned by the moderator, so audience participation was rather limited; with this panel, since it was just Steve, and a smaller crowd who asked almost all of the questions, it felt a lot more intimate and personal. Of course, I managed to capture the panel for posterity, and you can even hear me asking about Jim Lewis and Joey Mazzarino at the 14:16 mark:

Afterwards I went downstairs to meet Steve, and . . . just about couldn't find his table! Last year, the Expo was limited to just one ballroom, but this time, they used both of them, so the area was huge, and I had to walk around a couple of times to finally find his table, lol. He was such nice, warm guy, we talked briefly about the characters he performed, such as Bean Bunny and how he went from being the main protagonist of Bunny Picnic to basically being the constant victim of the Muppets' brutality for being so ridiculously cute to the point of being obnoxiously cute, lol. We also talked about our shared passion for puppetry, and how it was the Muppets who got us into - he even actually recognized my name! Well, mainly because of that other MSNBC guy with a very similar name, lol. But anyway, I brought my DST figure package for him to sign, as well as my Kermit and Ernie plushes for a picture:

It was such a great experience, and Steve is a really nice guy, so if any of you out there have the opportunity to go to a con to meet him, act on it, because you will have a great time!

Question for you...I’m going to meet Steve at the Raleigh Supercon in a couple of weeks. I see on the website that you can obviously bring your own item to be signed or an 8x10 photo. It also says that you can get a “premium” item signed that’s on his table but of course they don’t tell you what it is. Did he have anything premium on his table when you met him? Thanks!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, he had some 8x10s on his table of his characters and such (you can see Kermit and Rizzos hanging up on the fabric wall behind us in our picture).

pjtoadie

Reaction score
Yeah, he had some 8x10s on his table of his characters and such (you can see Kermit and Rizzos hanging up on the fabric wall behind us in our picture).
Thanks....was that it, just 8x10s? I know for the convention I’m going to they have 8x10s or bring your own item for $40 or a premium item off of his table for $60.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think so. Honestly, I always bring my own items to get signed (same with meeting the Sesame cast last October), so I don't pay too much attention to what they have, but that's usually about it.

Sometimes they have additional items you can buy as souvenirs. Bob McGrath had a number of CDs, and Caroll Spinney had copies of his book as well as the I AM BIG BIRD documentary on DVD.

pjtoadie

Reaction score
I think so. Honestly, I always bring my own items to get signed (same with meeting the Sesame cast last October), so I don't pay too much attention to what they have, but that's usually about it.

Sometimes they have additional items you can buy as souvenirs. Bob McGrath had a number of CDs, and Caroll Spinney had copies of his book as well as the I AM BIG BIRD documentary on DVD.
Cool, thanks! I most likely will bring my own item but was wondering if the premium item was any good.