Statler and Waldorf in Christmas Carol.

golden teeth

Reaction score
Am I the only one that found it wierd that they did what they did. Richard and Jim had recently died, and they made Statler and Waldorf ghosts. They did fot the role very well, but they made them ghosts and it seemed wierd with the puppeteers both recently dead.

I know I'm going too deep, but thinking about it, it seems odd.

BEAR

Reaction score
golden teeth said:
Am I the only one that found it wierd that they did what they did. Richard and Jim had recently died, and they made Statler and Waldorf ghosts. They did fot the role very well, but they made them ghosts and it seemed wierd with the puppeteers both recently dead.

I know I'm going too deep, but thinking about it, it seems odd.

Not sure if that was even a thought during the casting process, but I do see where you are coming from. Kinda makes me watch that seen a little differently. They never really talked about Statler and Waldorf's roles much on the DVD (making of featurette or commentary). I'd think they would seeing as how they played a pretty major role in the film.

They did mention how they originally cast Scooter, Piggy, and Gonzo, as the Spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Future, respectively. Boy, that would have made a different movie. Scooter in such a huge role, but then in the end not even in the film at all. Of course they were taking a different approach with the way the Spirits were, but Scooter was basically cut out altogether. Poor guy.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I agree about the Ghosties. I always found it inspired that Jim and Richard's charcters were Marley and Marley...I've said before that I thought this was a purposeful casting. Maybe not though...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Maybe Pops or Dr. Strangepork should have been Jacop Marley, so they wouldn't have had to add a secodn marley. Or maybe J.P. gross could have been Marley.

J.P. Gross also could have been Scrooge and Scooter could have been nephew Fred.

If Miss Piggy was originally going to be a ghost, then I wonder if she would have also played Emily Cratchet.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Never thought of Henson and Hunt's death to be similar to the ghosts of statler and Waldorf. I always assumed they casted Stater and Waldorf to be the ghosts to have them in the movie and also have some jokes thrown in the movie from those two.

ryan

rexcrk

Reaction score
I never actually made that connection. However I DID find it weird that the performers for both Statler and Waldorf had passed away.

After viewing Muppet Christmas Carol so many times it sounds so weird to me to think of other ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future besides the ones they used. I also can't think of it NOT being told by Gonzo and Rizzo.

BEAR

Reaction score
rexcrk said:
I never actually made that connection. However I DID find it weird that the performers for both Statler and Waldorf had passed away.

After viewing Muppet Christmas Carol so many times it sounds so weird to me to think of other ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future besides the ones they used. I also can't think of it NOT being told by Gonzo and Rizzo.
Yeah, Jerry Juhl was brilliant by having Gonzo play "Charles Dickens". They said that Muppet Christmas Carol is probably the most true adaptation of the classic story because most of the dialogue is actually straight out of the book.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Maybe Pops or Dr. Strangepork should have been Jacop Marley, so they wouldn't have had to add a secodn marley. Or maybe J.P. gross could have been Marley.

J.P. Gross also could have been Scrooge and Scooter could have been nephew Fred.

If Miss Piggy was originally going to be a ghost, then I wonder if she would have also played Emily Cratchet.

Pops or Strangepork wouldn't have worked well as Marley the way Statler and Waldorf did. Pops is nice and doesn't have that crotchety, mean old curmudgeon way about him. S and W were perfect and of course they had to be together. I think that is what made it so funny is that there were 2 Marleys.

Also, they made it a point that Scrooge had to be played by a real person. It wouldn't have worked any other way.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Also, they made it a point that Scrooge had to be played by a real person. It wouldn't have worked any other way.
I think that J.P. Gross is the only muppet who could have played Scrooge. After all, he is mean and greedy enough, and he had a nephew (Scooter), and not many people knew about him to think he was out of character as Scrooge.