SST Fan Fic: The Search for Bert

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Coming Attractions:

*Pan in on a busy and bustling Muppet Theater*

Kermit: Ok Robin, I’m going to help you with your spelling right after the show is over.

Fozzie (on the phone): Hey Mom! I’m looking forward to seeing you this weekend!

Scooter (typing on the computer): Dear Skeeter, How are you?

*Pan over to Rowlf sitting alone at the piano backstage*

Rowlf (in voiceover): Those guys are so lucky. They’ve got brothers and sisters and parents. Kermit has his nephew right here with him. Fozzie’s has a great relationship with his mom. Scooter’s been reunited with his sister Skeeter. Even Gonzo knows where he comes from. And then there’s me. What do I have?

Narrator: Sometimes the things we take for granted in life are the things that others become envious of.

Rowlf: Kermit, I need to know where I come from. I have to have family out there somewhere, and I’m going to find them.

Kermit: Rowlf, you can’t leave! What about us? We can be your family!

Rowlf: Kermit, you just wouldn’t understand.

Narrator: Sometimes we hide behind masks so that no one knows how we really feel.

*Flash to Muppets sitting around a table*

Fozzie: So he just up and left?

Kermit: He said he wants to find himself. I had no idea he felt this way.

Miss Piggy: Oh Kermie, I don’t think anyone knew he felt this way.

Kermit: Well, we’re going to go after him. Who’s with me?

Narrator: In an all new Muppet adventure, Rowlf the dog goes on a search for his family, meeting all sorts of interesting people along the way.

*Flash to a New York nightclub*
Female cat: Just call me Wanda, as long as you don’t want to chase me, hurt me, or eat me, I think I can help you out.

Rowlf: Trust me, I don’t want to eat you. Where did you learn to sing like that?

Narrator: Will Rowlf find what he is looking for? Will he leave behind his friends forever?

*Flash to Kermit and Rowlf standing in an alley*

Kermit: Rowlf, we’ll always be here when you need us, we’re still your friends

Narrator: Sometimes the things we are looking for are not that hard to find at all.

Find out all this and more in “Where Your Heart Leads You” starring Rowlf the Dog, Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo and other Muppet favorites and introducing several new characters including Wanda the Cat, Crusher the Bulldog and others.

Coming to a forum near you July 25th. (I’ll be out of town from the 17th through the 22nd and don’t want to start it before I go, so you’ll have to wait until I get back, so hopefully this little preview will tide you over.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I CAN'T WAIT! Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet? Is it July 25th yet?

It just looks so cooooooooooooooooooooooooool! Oh, me wants! Great, now you have me all excited, and I have to wait to see it. That's just cruel. Let's see... It's only... nineteen days until July 25th... I can take that, right?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, it's a long way away and I really want to start posting it now, BUT, I'd feel bad leaving you all in the loop for a week, especially if if left off in a bad spot. I'm so excited about writing it though! Anyway, onto the first part of the Making of Search for Bert!

Making Of The Search for Bert: Part One:

So I've been a member here at old MC for about 6 months now. I was lurking for a month or two before that, but joined at the beginning of February. Then I read Beth C's fan fic and was floored. I thought, hmmm, maybe I should write a fan fic. But, I didn't and then Christy B wrote her MEGA awesome Fraggle Rock fan fic. I decided, ok, yeah, I'm going to do it. So, I thought for awhile about who it should be about. I love Sesame Street and hadn't seen any SS fan fics as of yet, so I thought, hmmmm, could it work?

After watching Follow that Bird (which I know this story parallels alot) for about the 17th time after buying the DVD (I LOVE that movie), I decided, yes, I can write an SS Fan Fic!

Now, you're probably wondering how I chose to make Bert the main character and focus of this story. Honestly, I'm still not sure myself. I'm not a big fan of Bert. I've always been more of an Ernie person. Bert is so uptight and boring. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized, other people might also feel that way about Bert, so he never gets to be in the spotlight! Then, I started thinking about Ernie and Bert's friendship. I thought, what would happen if it was tested? I had the whole fight scene worked out in my head before I ever figured out where Bert would go.

It was hard to have Ernie and Bert have such a huge falling out. I can't tell you how much I would stop and walk away from the keyboard sniffling. But, it was crucial to the story. It was also meant as a hook to pull people in. Now, in the beginning, I hadn't meant so much for this to become a movie, but the more I wrote, the more I thought, yep, this is a movie. The only thing missing is the music. I love music! I love to sing and I love songs, but I can' WRITE THEM! So, that is why this is sorely lacking in music.

All right, that's enough of my ramblings for now. Part two will talk about specific characters and my inspiration for each of them.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Making of Search for Bert Part Two:

All right, so this story introduced a few new characters as many Muppet movies do, and they are always human muppets. In my new fan fic I plan to actually introduce some new Muppets, which I'm nervous about, but also excited. But, that's not what this is about. Anyway, I'm going to tell you a little about each character.

Amazing Al: I honestly did not plan on this being the bad guy at first. I meant for Bert to run away and to somehow get lost and that's why they needed to find him. Then I started thinking that every story has some sort of bad guy. For instance, in Follow That Bird, the bad guy was Miss Finch and the Sleeze Bros Fun Fair guys. So, I created Al and the more I created him, the more evil he became. As I mentioned in my commentary, I have nothing against Danny DeVito, but I could totally see him in this role. I think it would be like his character from Big Fish gone TOTALLY bad.

Karen: Every story needs a good heroine, right Lisa? I still can't believe how similar Karen is to your Gina. Anyway, Karen came to me in a moment of dispair. I was having some trouble with the story, I thought, it's so sad and horrible. Bert needs a friend. So, I created her to be a totally selfless person who was forced into this situation, but chose to make the most of it. I see a Drew Barrymore type person, or maybe Cameron Diaz playing her. Karen made the story work in the end, so I'm so thankful that she came to me!

James: I decided that it would be a cute side story to have Karen have a boyfriend to be reunited with. I think I could've done more with James in the long run, but decided it would stray from the story too much. Maybe in a deleted scene. I have no idea why, but right now I feel like Justin Timberlake could play him, especially if Cameron Diaz was Karen!

The Acrobats: Plain and simple, I made up these guys to have someone to push Bert around. Like I said, they'd just be Anything type Muppets, and just there to help move the story along.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Yes, it is almost creepy how similar Karen and Gina are. And Yes, every story needs a good heroine.

By the way, are you sharing my brain? Because I've already introduced one muppet in Chasing Robin, and I've got some others coming. And considering how similar Karen and Gina are... maybe we're sharing a brain.

(Ok so I know that's not exactly possible, but still...)

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
Yes, it is almost creepy how similar Karen and Gina are. And Yes, every story needs a good heroine.

By the way, are you sharing my brain? Because I've already introduced one muppet in Chasing Robin, and I've got some others coming. And considering how similar Karen and Gina are... maybe we're sharing a brain.

(Ok so I know that's not exactly possible, but still...)
Maybe we are sharing a brain! LOL, it is quite funny anyway! We both talk to the voices in our heads after all. Although I tend to express mine as Red Fraggle here on MC, as she's sort of my altar ego, but that's beside the point. More making of coming soon!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Making of (from the point of view of Ernie and Bert)

Author's note: This is all kind of tongue and cheek and meant for fun. I own no one. I don't think I said that at the beginning of the story, but I own no one.

Ernie: Hello everyone!

Bert: Hiya!

Ernie: We'd like to share a little bit about how we felt during this story.

Bert: It was hard at times for us to do it.

Ernie: First of all, many people ask us if this really happened. Well, I hate to disappoint everyone, but the only thing that really happened was the fight.

Bert: Yep, we really did have that fight, but instead of running away I went home and Ernie and I talked about everything and made up.

Ernie: Life got back to normal for us. Then we were approached by Beth about making a story about us.

Bert: She asked about our friendship and things like that. I told her about the worst fight we ever had and how close I came to running away. She asked me what would've happened if I had.

Ernie: The next thing you knew, we had a movie on our hands! Beth was really nice to work with and I think she told our story pretty well.

Bert: I liked meeting Miss Diaz. She was very nice and she played the part of Karen very well.

Ernie: My favorite part was when Bert came back and we had the big party scene. We actually got to eat all the treats for that! Hey Bert, what was the hardest scene for you?

Bert: Well, it was hard to do the fight scene with you Ernie because I don't like fighting with you. But, it was hardest to do the scene when the police and I get back to Al's circus and you weren't there. It made me think of how I'd feel if you were really gone.

Ernie: That's really nice Bert. The hardest scene for me was when I read the note that says you're gone.

Bert: Also, just so people know, there really wasn't an Amazing Al's Circus, and Mr. DeVito is not that mean in real life. He and I laughed alot between takes!

Ernie: Well, that's a little bit about how making this story was for us! Come on Bert let's race to Hooper's Store for milkshakes!

Bert: Ernie...you know what kinds of trouble racing leads to!

Ernie: Oh yeah! I forgot! Kee-hee-hee-hee-hee!

Bert: Bye everyone!

Stay tuned for the Blooper Reel!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
BLOOPERS!!!!!!!!! Oh I love bloopers. Bloopers are AWESOME! So was the making of by the way. Awesome.