SST 40th Anniversary Event

MelissaY1

Reaction score
i Meant to ask Sonia about that... how does one get into the set? I've heard of it being done many times. And is there a fee?

When i seen her at the singing all these other questions poped up... and i honestly i was just so amazed to see her that i dont recall our whole convo.
As someone who has also visited the set on two occasions now, I can tell you that you have to have a connection to get in like Zns did with Marty Robinson. It is not open to the public, for tourists or anything like that. The first time I went was in 1993 and was arranged through Kevin Clash through a mutual friend. The second time was in 1999 when I was a Henson intern.

But you can't just go in and actually I remember the first time I was supposed to go with my family in '93, they had to reschedule my visit because Johnny Cash was coming in to do a taping that day and by policy it was a closed set. No visitors at all!

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Oh wow! I thought it had to be something like "connections"... I actually am kicking my butt for not asking her then... lol.

But congrats to those who have been able to get in there.

Let me ask, MelissaY1... if i may that is... how does one get the shot of becoming an intern? I have planned on doing this in the future...

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Oh wow! I thought it had to be something like "connections"... I actually am kicking my butt for not asking her then... lol.

But congrats to those who have been able to get in there.

Let me ask, MelissaY1... if i may that is... how does one get the shot of becoming an intern? I have planned on doing this in the future...
Well the first thing you gotta do is see what your college requires as far as your school's internsihp program. I do know that Henson will only give internships to those who are doing so for college credit.

The second thing is to contact the offices and see what they have available and what the current application process is. I did this 10 years ago so it may be a whole different ball game now. They're not even in the same buildings that were there when I was an intern. I know they have some information about internship opportunities on their official website at www.henson.com I would start there. Good luck!

Neil565

Reaction score
Aww man, I think that one was a tad bit more personable and relaxed than the one we went too.. At least those guys got to record video and take pictures... Possibly even get photos with the puppets themselves...

Heh, and on a totally pointless note.... I've only ever seen the name Mitsu twice...at the end of that video, and as a character in a movie.. Thought it was a made up name made for just the movie I Saw it in....didn't think it was real :smile:..

Vic Romano

Reaction score
What a fantastic time. Like Melissa mentioned, it was so touching to hear Frank and the others talk so sweetly about Jim and Richard. Man, they were just so adoring that I felt like Jim himself was going to come out on stage. I admit that when Jim died, I felt the Muppets were just going to keep running through the motions, but after the other night, it's so clear that they just strive everyday to reach for his dream.

I'm still kind of awestruck about just being there, so I'm gonna' continue to collect my thoughts before I really post here. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet up with anyone, if you were there you know how crazy it was. I did meet up with MuppetCast host Steve and I met Joe from Tough Pigs who was just wonderful to talk to.

I'm sure I saw most of you, but didn't get to meet you. I was two rows behind Bonnie Erikson.

twasbrillig12

Reaction score
I'm sure I saw most of you, but didn't get to meet you. I was two rows behind Bonnie Erikson.
My dad and I were sitting next to her! I was so shocked when she stood up. But that's me, completely clueless. Definitely the best friday night I've spent at a college and in NJ. My dad was surprised at the lack of children in the audience, so it was great that a couple of those there got to ask questions. The highlight(if I can pick just one) was when Frank said he'd consider directing a Muppet project in the future. Heck, just seeing him in person was awesome.

zhelder

Reaction score
Wow. The teacher workshop looked cool. I agree, it did seem to be mroe relaxed and comfortable there compared to the evening lecture.

I actually am an elementary school educator, and I think I would have actually been more likely to go to that than the evening lecture (although it would have been great to meet Frank Oz).

Again, please if anyone knows, how did people register for the teacher event, and was there any cost? If an event like this happens again at a college or university not too far away from me, I will definitely ask about any additional events for educators!

MelissaY1

Reaction score
What a fantastic time. Like Melissa mentioned, it was so touching to hear Frank and the others talk so sweetly about Jim and Richard. Man, they were just so adoring that I felt like Jim himself was going to come out on stage. I admit that when Jim died, I felt the Muppets were just going to keep running through the motions, but after the other night, it's so clear that they just strive everyday to reach for his dream.

I'm still kind of awestruck about just being there, so I'm gonna' continue to collect my thoughts before I really post here. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet up with anyone, if you were there you know how crazy it was. I did meet up with MuppetCast host Steve and I met Joe from Tough Pigs who was just wonderful to talk to.

I'm sorry we didn't meet up either. It was very nice chatting with you on the phone on the way over, though, and I'm glad you had a great time! At least now I have your phone number for the next Muppet event :smile:

I barely got to speak to anyone from Tough Pigs except for a few quick hellos to a couple of people. Unfortunately this event was kind of hard to socialize at. Hopefully there will be more time to meet up properly with everyone at another one in the near future.