Something I noticed about the TV spots

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems animated shorts rarely get advertised with the films they come with. The academy awards have a category for best animated shorts, and they often include things I'd never heard of (though in the past years there've been many movies I hadn't heard of; I worked at a movie theater for four years, and there's many movies I wouldn't have known about otherwise). Ditto for the live-action shorts category (I don't think I've ever even seen a live-action short in theaters, much less saw an advert for one).

It seems the practice of having animated shorts advertised was most common in the 1990s, with The Prince and the Pauper (I think), Trail Mix-Up (which I thought was a full-lenght movie that happened to be a double-feature with A Far-Off Place), Chariots of Fur (the Road Runner short, not the Monsterpiece Theater segment), and Runaway Brain being heavily advertised with the films they came with. I'm sure all of the Roger Rabbit shorts and the WB shorts released from 1988-1990 were promoted like this as well and I just don't remember the advertisements, but I could be wrong. Though all of the theatrical Pokemon movies were heavily advertised as coming with shorts. The first few Nickelodeon movies came with shorts, and I think I just barely saw commercials for those.

But in other cases if I knew of a short being released with a movie it was because I saw it mentioned online, and sometimes I saw the shorts because I wanted to see the movies they came with (or because I was dragged). I only remember seeing a commercial for Carrotblanca once. Before that, a chip company did some promotion advertising the short on the packaging, and I mistakenly thought it was going to be a full-lenght movie. I saw a print advertisement for Superior Duck but never saw any commercials.

Then again, when movies that came with shorts from the 1980s and 1990s were released on VHS, they often DIDN'T come with the shorts. I know there are exceptions (Tummy Trouble was on the Honey I Shrunk the Kids VHS, I think Box Office Bunny was on the Neverending Story 2 VHS). Some of those movies I really only wanted to see for the shorts they came with, and was disapointed that the videos didn't come with them (some I didn't see in theaters and I rented the movies even though I knew the shorts weren't included). Maybe that's why they weren't advertised heavily (though today it seems all movies that come with shorts include the shorts on the DVD releases). I can see Mickey's Christmas Carol and The Prince and the Pauper not being on the video releases because those shorts were long enough to be television specials (and The Prince and the Pauper was released as its own VHS, same with Mickey's Christmas Carol), and Mickey's Christmas Carol was released with a rerelease of The Rescuers, which wouldn't be released on video for another decade.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Something I noticed abotu the UK trailer, it says :"Muppet Domination: This Thanksgiving" even though the movie comes out in Febuary

Drtooth

Reaction score
It seems animated shorts rarely get advertised with the films they come with. The academy awards have a category for best animated shorts, and they often include things I'd never heard of (though in the past years there've been many movies I hadn't heard of; I worked at a movie theater for four years, and there's many movies I wouldn't have known about otherwise). Ditto for the live-action shorts category (I don't think I've ever even seen a live-action short in theaters, much less saw an advert for one).
Yeah, they don't usually get much mention, though I SWEAR I did see TV adverts with certain Looney Tunes shorts back in the day (at the very least, Pullet Surprise with Cats don't Dance). They did have some adverts for Cars 2 that mentioned Hawaiian Vacation. I remember they had Tokyo Mater ads with certain Bolt ads too (though when I finally saw Bolt, there WAS no Mater cartoon).

Unless Disney wants to keep this a surprise for everyone who didn't read up about it on the internet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Strike that...

I just (and mean just) saw a new ad that actually mentions the Toy Story short at the end.

12Medbe

Reaction score
The previews are taking over Television, I've seen them on almost every channel, within the last week...... I LOVE Muppet Domination!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
A promo on Cartoon Network I just caught the tail end of had a clip of the Toy Story short in the Muppets promo, so I guess they are advertising it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
A promo on Cartoon Network I just caught the tail end of had a clip of the Toy Story short in the Muppets promo, so I guess they are advertising it.
Yeah, I just said that. And that one thankfully came on during HIMYM. Great cross promotion for Segal fans.

There's also a Muppets don't speak Russian in this film, but we're making sure you're paying attention ad.