Silly things you said, did, or thought as a kid

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My dad's real name is James, and he's always been a little scrawny guy, so as a kid, whenever my mom would talk about "Boney James," I always assumed it was some kind of a nickname she came up for him, it wasn't until a few years after that that I learned that Boney James was a real jazz musician.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
So, you know how in another thread I mentioned wanting to live inside a Bob Ross painting?

Well, when I was young, I always wished I could jump inside paintings like Mario could in Mario 64. Thankfully, I wasn't stupid enough to actually try to.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
For almost my entire life, I thought Mrs. Butterworth's was called "Mrs. Buttersworth". Anyone else?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Can’t say I have. But i’ve always wanted to try their maple syrup (they’re hard to find in my grocery store).

....or maybe I’m just not looking hard enough, I dunno.

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
I have a funny story from when I was in preschool.

At the end of each week, each of us could pick a prize out of our prize box to take home. Well, one week, one of the prizes in there was this little Happy Meal-sized plush of (if I can recall correctly) Simba from The Lion King.

I wanted it really badly, and when one of the other kids took it before I could, I started crying and threw a small tantrum. And so I had to settle for something else instead (I believe a toy car).

5 year olds can make such a big deal out of little things like that. :laugh:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Oh yeah, for sure.

Reminds me of when I had a temper tantrum over the fact that I saw an ERTL Oliver the Great Western Engine toy in a now-defunct toy store near my house (they had a lot of ERTL Thomas toys at that time; I got the Bill and Ben ones and didn’t notice Oliver until the last minute). I think I was like 3 at the time.

I remember I tried running back and almost got hit by a car (my mom was able to grab me).

Last edited:

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
When I was in 2nd or 3rd Grade, I always said that I wanted to be the bear from the obscure video game, Crystal Castles.

I mean, yeah I'm a furry and all so it's natural for me to imagine life as a cartoon animal but that bear was a borderline villain. The entire point of the game is that he was a thief who broke into a witch's house and selfishly stole the honey she was using to make a potion with.

Why out of every furry character out there would I choose him? lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That in and of itself reminds me of the time in Grade 1, and I may have mentioned this before, where I was playing a game of Mouse Trap with some other kids . . . and I was losing . . . and sure enough, when I lost the game, I threw a major tantrum: I was screaming, I was kicking and pounding the floor, I was banging my head into the wall, everything. The teacher took me out into the hallway for a time out, and then later gave me the age-old lecture about how it's not important whether you win or lose, but that you have fun and all that jazz - which I did not give a crap about, lol.