Sewing

hackdroot

Reaction score
Hello again all,

Since I'm in the market for a sewing machine to begin my puppet making ventures, I was wondering what type I need to invest in. Mind you, I know nothing about sewing or sewing machines for that matter, so any advice would be appreciated. Currently we have a small machine. I don't have pics, but there's one on ebay (I cant post links or pics yet, but the item number is 8270566845). It's pretty small, but it's brand new. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Oh yeah, theres a place nearby that does repairs and sells used machines. I don't have a lot to spend on one, but am unsure about investing in used equipment.

-Eric

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
My experience has been best with Singer, Brother or the other well-known brands. If you buy a new one, it's not really worth it in my experience to buy the cheaper ones you see in stories like Wal-Mart as they seem to always have problems within a year or so.

I've had better luck with older machines (pre-1985) than newer ones. In fact, the two best machines I have ever had were Singers - one was almost 100 years old, made from iron and used a treadle (it was operated by your foot, no electricity required!). The other was a 20 year old electric Singer that was being thrown out by McMaster University.

If you can find one of the old Singers (electric or treadle) that look like this they are very, very good. They won't have all the fancy features modern machines do, but they last much longer and require a lot less maintenance.

If that doesn't work for you and you want a newer machines, try talking to people at a place like Joanne's Fabrics that specializes in sewing. I spoke to a woman at a Joanne's in Texas about sewing machines and she was very knowledgable and honest about the sewing machines they carried. I felt like they were trying understand what I needed and give me good information, not just 'upselling' me to an expensive machine I didn't need.

hackdroot

Reaction score
Great, I sold an old singer, like the one you posted, last year at a garage sale. I figured it was only good for antique collectors. Fortunately my mother runs an antique shop in town. Guess I'll be giving her a call.

hackdroot

Reaction score
Okay, took a trip to moms antique shop and found a couple of candidates. One is a 1916 White Rotary and the other is a Singer 404 slant needle (circa 1958)

home.comcast.net/~vectrex23/white1.jpg

home.comcast.net/~vectrex23/white1.jpg

home.comcast.net/~vectrex23/singer1.jpg

I can probably get either (although the White Rotary would cost me a little more but it's less intimidating :wink: .)

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
The White Rotary (I think) is the one I had. Good machine, but be aware that it's really basic and doesn't even have a back stitch. You have to turn whatever you're sewing around 180 degrees and then continue sewing to prevent unraveling. Also, the leather belt for the treadle can be difficult to replace (they break or wear out occasionally). It's also a bit of beast (heavy) and difficult to move.

A good idea might be to post questions on a sewing or Singer machine forum where you can get opinions from different people before spending any money.

Jinx

Reaction score
It's very seldom indeed that I ever have anything to say that is in opposition to what Buck says. The man clearly knows what he is talking about on every topic I've ever seen him post.

My personal experience with a Brother machine from Wal-Mart has been trouble-free. I bought a basic one there in '99 and it has been an absolutely wonderful machine for me, and the only maintenance I've had to perform on it is needle-replacement and cleaning out the bobbin area. I've been very pleased with it.

Just my 2 cents worth...

hackdroot

Reaction score
Well, the Singer is pretty much mine. They've had it there for years in the back and gave it to me in return for a future puppet. Sounds like a good deal to me :smile:.

Gonna have to find someone to show me how to work it though. Amazing how nobody I know knows how to use one (even mom sews strictly by hand). :concern:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Jinx, what model Brother do you have? Someone I know here in Mexico is looking for one and the closest Wal-Mart sells exclusively Brother so it would be good info to have. I don't remember which one I owned several years ago.

Jinx

Reaction score
I have the LS-1217. It's a very basic machine that doesn't have any fancy stitches, just the straight or zig-zag. It also comes with a double-needle for parallel stitching with two spools of thread. It can be used with a platform or an open arm.

I have used it for everything from regualr cotton broadcloth to 2" pile fake fur. I have noticed with thicker fabric that the feed-dogs need a bit of assistance in feeding the fabric evenly, but if I take it a bit slower than usual I can get good stitching.

Bobbin-winding and machine-threading are both extremely easy. The biggest problem I've ever experienced was when cleaning the bobbin carrier for the first time the assembly fell into its several pices and it took me a little bit of jigsaw puzzle solving skill to reassemble it.

I have been very, very happy with this machine's performance.

Hope this helps!