Sesame Workshop/Shout! Factory Deal

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Monster Hits Rock and Rhyme is still available on Shout Factory's website, but not the Wish Pickle special. I hope it gets released on DVD soon.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Monster Hits Rock and Rhyme is still available on Shout Factory's website, but not the Wish Pickle special. I hope it gets released on DVD soon.
When You Wish Upon a Pickle was supposed to be released on DVD on the same day as the digital release, then was pushed to July 7, so it's still not available? I'm guessing the pandemic led to it being delayed, not sure if that's been the case with other DVDs or not.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Feature films are still getting DVDs, so I don't think the pandemic should have effected Shout Factory putting out DVDs.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I am watching Monster Hits: Rock and Rhyme, and it is a lot different than I expected. I was thinking each song would be a mash-up of multiple segments, but I see that it includes full street stories and some film/animation inserts that have nothing to do with monsters (or even rhymes). Though it seems I was thinking wrong. It starts with the viral video of Elmo and Abby singing "The Muffin Man", then we get a "B for baker" film and Cookie's Foodie Truck: Cranberries, which I think are all connected to baking, then a film "B for boat" and Elmo and Zoe trying to get Rocco to float in water (I can't remember if there's another sailing-themed segment), then three segments relating to Twinkle Twinkle - Abby singing it (probably a viral video), then an animated segment with an astronaut (I thought it was a Sesame Studios segment, though I searched it on YouTube and it's under Sesame Street's YouTube channel), and then a street story where Elmo tries to learn to play the song.

I wish they hadn't used the "Monster Hits" title, as it's not all monster segments. Wouldn't "Rock and Rhyme with Elmo" have been enough? I would rather it just be all monster song segments.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had thought the "Cookie Shark" song came from the Sesame Oceans street story (and that one had previously been available in the Elmo and Cookie Monster Supersized Fun video, which I have, I guess I never paid much attention to that particular episode), so I was surprised to see that street story appear two segments after "Cookie Shark". I was thinking "really? They show the clip on its own and then include the whole story?" (I guess I'm glad I was wrong there)

It is a little odd that some of the viral videos are included as part of the main program. I am at a loss on how I feel about this (aside from rather it have classic monster segments). I wonder if a page on Sesame viral videos that have been released commercially is in order. It's also odd that it includes a clip from the linking footage from Kids' Favorite Country Songs. Is this the first time such a thing happened on a video release (besides last years Awesome Alphabet Collection including the Count It Higher edit of Letter B, including fake music video credits).

Such a misleading title. There's a number of segments (mainly non-Muppet ones) that don't feature monsters at all. I didn't notice any rock music (and some I was unsure of the music genre), so "Rock & Rhyme" doesn't work too well.

Detritusarisen

Reaction score
I wish they would do more with this partnership, shouts known for their comprehensive releases of obscure and niche content.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The fact that the Rock and Rhyme DVD has a preview for the Wish Pickle special makes me hope that a DVD is still on its way. It would suck if the HBO Max deal is preventing them from making DVDs for specials.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The fact that the Rock and Rhyme DVD has a preview for the Wish Pickle special makes me hope that a DVD is still on its way. It would suck if the HBO Max deal is preventing them from making DVDs for specials.
I doubt that’s the case. Recently I saw that the entire first season of The Not Too Late Show is on iTunes and other sites (not sure if that’s through Shout! or not).

I want to say it’s because of COVID that Wish Pickle is only available to download, but the Rock and Rhyme release got a physical release, and there are still a lot of physical releases that have come out there this year.

If it’s because of HBO Max, then it’s odd that video distribution rights switched from Warner to Shout so soon. Since Warner controls HBO Max, it would make more sense for Warner to keep the Sesame home video license.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wondered if maybe they had stopped doing video releases or at least put them on hold due to Covid, but we’ve now got our first announcement of a 2021 Sesame Street release - Elmo’s World: Things Elmo Loves, coming February 2 - that’s just a few weeks from now!

Could this be the fastest a release got after being announced? I mean, besides store exclusive releases, some of which we did not see the announcement for until we saw them in stores (or word got out)?