Sesame went down hill when Elmo came on the scene

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
Furchester was a nice way of expanding on that idea, but it was nowhere near as funny.
Again it’s a show designed for preschool children in the UK, the humour and themes were not intended for an adult demographic so of course you’re not gonna find it funny.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
...Sesame Street also fits that description and it managed to be one of the funniest shows around.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Don't forget though, the whole street was brightened and cleaned up when ATC was added, so it really lost a lot of its inner-city vibe.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
...Sesame Street also fits that description and it managed to be one of the funniest shows around.
I feel the best written stuff in recent time was with Joey handling the characters. Especially whenever Telly or Grover were involved

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even Steve said Joey knew the characters inside and out.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Exactly, I mean Sesame Street has always went out of its way to deliver a sense of humor everyone could enjoy. We wouldn’t have music video parody songs or old gangster movie parodies without its charm.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Here's my take on this, 80's and 90's Elmo was adorable but as he evolved over time he became incredibly annoying. I don't like that he took Big Bird's place but also I hated it when people refer to Sesame Street as "the Elmo show"

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I'm with you on that one @D'Snowth . My very first exposure to Sesame Street, Muppets and puppetry in general was through early episodes of Elmo's World so I have no reason to hate him but as time went on he became less likeable

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean research was showing kids were gradually losing interest in the show during the last quarter, so I can understand the need to add EW to boost their interest back up. But even so, yeah, the Elmo overkill hadn't quite come into effect just yet. EW certainly had a charm in the beginning, but like I said, that charm deminished pretty quickly.