Sesame Street Season 50 Episode 5029 - The Treasure of Yucky Mama

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 5029 - The Treasure of Yucky Mama
HBO Premiere: Saturday May 30, 2020
PBS Premiere: Monday February 22, 2021

Yucky Mama's old treasure map is discovered during Oscar's spring dusting. The map shows how Sesame Street used to look 50 years ago. To find the treasure, Oscar, Elmo, Abby, Nina, and Charlie use the map to find their way around Sesame Street, comparing the places that used to be on the Street to the places that are there now, and complete three grouchy challenges. (Guest: Maren Morris)

This episode features an all-new street story, a new Big Bird's Road Trip (Walpole, New Hampshire), Maren Morris sings “Oops! Whoops! Wait, Ah-ha!”, Abby's Amazing Adventures ("Race Car Drivers") and a new Elmo's World ("Maps").

If you saw "The Treasure of Yucky Mama" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
One of the more anticipated episodes of the season, and I guess it was a little lower than my expectations.

I get why they don't care about continuity anymore, but it was nice that they acknowledged some of the cosmetic changes directly. I'm not gonna complain about how Elmo and Abby should know about these changes (ya' know, what with Abby visiting the Fix-It Shop in her first episode for goodness sakes), because as far as today's kids are concerned, Abby has always been on the show thus such an episode never happened and Elmo/Abby were too young to be around in 1969 (nor was the Fix-It Shop, but they really seemed to be reaching for actual, drastic changes). And I guess it was nice to see small blips of classic moments on Oscar's busted TV. But overall, like, I'm not sure what they were teaching with this one beyond "Sesame Street looked different-ish back then!"

Finally, it'll be a shame if that two second cameo is all Stephanie got to do as Prairie Dawn this season.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
First of all, why are they still pushing the 2020 census, when the census was months ago?

Secondly, once again, the episode wasn't in HD again this week; it's turning into a gamble as to what the episode will be like each week: interlaced or SD.

Oscar bringing up the fact that old telephones could be slammed down reminds me of something I miss about old telephones, lol.

Okay, why wasn't an episode like this the opener for Season 50, given all of the mythology gags and throw-backs to the older street set with mentioning the older location of Oscar's can, as well as the existence of the Fix-It Shop, the garage, and the construction doors. But danged these Muppets and their short-term memory with Elmo and Abby having no clue that any of these existed . . . after all, after just a season or two after Linda left, they acted like they had never met a deaf person before when Bob's deaf niece visited.

In spite of the obvious little flaws, I would say this was the best episode of the season so far, if only because of all of the old-school throw-backs.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Okay, why wasn't an episode like this the opener for Season 50, given all of the mythology gags and throw-backs to the older street set with mentioning the older location of Oscar's can, as well as the existence of the Fix-It Shop, the garage, and the construction doors. But danged these Muppets and their short-term memory with Elmo and Abby having no clue that any of these existed . . . after all, after just a season or two after Linda left, they acted like they had never met a deaf person before when Bob's deaf niece visited.
I agree that this should have been the season premier. I guess it wasn't because Charli needed to be introduced first, and her introduction came halfway through the season.

It's a shame this episode came after the 50th anniversary special came to DVD, this street story would have made a good bonus feature. In fact the plot would have made for a good anniversary special (and I'm going by the description, as I haven't actually watched it). I don't think we need a third Sesame Street 50th anniversary DVD release (unless it's that 50 Years and Still Sunny documentary), but I could see this getting released in an expanded form, like Elmo's Super Numbers and Count on Elmo, intercut with old segments and episode clips.

Hmm, or maybe this would have been better as the season finale.

EDIT: In the first post, it lists Thomas Rhett as a guest, but I just looked at the Muppet Wiki guide, and it doesn't mention "This is My Street" in the episode (which I guess would have been a good one to include. Or Solange's "I Remember").

Last edited:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
EDIT: In the first post, it lists Thomas Rhett as a guest, but I just looked at the Muppet Wiki guide, and it doesn't mention "This is My Street" in the episode (which I guess would have been a good one to include. Or Solange's "I Remember").
That info came from HBO's guide listing. It's strange they got it wrong. Either it was a mistake (not likely) or a last minute change for the episode. "This Is My Street" by Thomas Rhett definitely would've fit the theme of the show better than “Oops! Whoops! Wait, Ah-ha!” by Maren Morris.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yeah, it's all kinda weird. The actual season premiere worked fine as a Big Bird-centric story and set up the recurring series/theme of the season. The episode introducing Charlie worked as a "hey, new character and also meet all the other character" type of episodes they've done before. And this one was just a big ol' callback episode. Anyone could have worked fine for me.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Yeah, it's all kinda weird. The actual season premiere worked fine as a Big Bird-centric story and set up the recurring series/theme of the season. The episode introducing Charlie worked as a "hey, new character and also meet all the other character" type of episodes they've done before. And this one was just a big ol' callback episode. Anyone could have worked fine for me.
Perhaps there could be a DVD release with all these street stories/plots.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I feel like this episode was made for the Sesame purists who don't like the changes they made to the set. I'm sure they would like to see the old set acknowledged in this episode. This was fun for what it was.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In hindsight, this actually feels like a fanfic that such a purist would have written.