Sesame Street Season 50 Episode 5011 - The Great Fruit Strike

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Don't be hard on Mikaela, she probably isn't able to watch the new shows immediately like you and I are. But I thought the street story was fun. I liked the songs even if they were pointless. I liked Mr. Johnson unexpectedly singing heavy metal. I need some help from Shane identifying the fruit performers: I know David is the pineapple, Marty is the grapes, Leslie's the zucchini, Stephanie's the tomato, the rest I'm stuck on. So it seems like even though Big Bird is home, we're still getting the road trip segments, just with a kid talking about their life. Good for Sesame showing lesbian parents. The bit with Chrissy Teigan was funny. I liked Gonger saying to the banana "How you been, girl?"
I don’t have HBO, sorry.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I could swear I heard Matt's voice coming from one of those fruits, but unless it was dubbed in, or maybe he was said fruit and dubbing Big Bird's voice while somebody else (like Noel) was in the bird, I don't know.
I figured out the performers of the rest of the fruit: Pam is the apple, Johnny K is the peach, and Frankie is the banana.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"The Great Fruit Strike" premieres on PBS this Monday October 19. Tune in and let us know your thoughts.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. It seems like lately they've been giving Mr. Johnson different roles on the show other than his interactions with Grover. So they are still doing "Across America" even though Big Bird is back. Interesting. The Cheryl Teigs segment was good too. Interesting that they're doing other things with Cookie Monster and Gonger besides the usual "Monster Foodies."

Also, am I the only one that was a little freaked out by the fact that the fruit WANTED TO BE eaten? Are they encouraging cannibalism on Sesame Street and if so, why would anyone be willing to be cannibalized. Maybe I'm over thinking this. Lol.

Last edited:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Also, am I the only one that was a little freaked out by the fact that the fruit WANTED TO BE eaten? Are they encouraging cannibalism on Sesame Street and if so, why would anyone be willing to be cannibalized.
Technically it’s not really cannibalism when it’s something is eating something else. Would it be cannibalism when we as humans eat hamburgers that were eating cows.

However I do agree it’s freaky that fruit with faces wants to be eaten

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yeah. It seems like lately they've been giving Mr. Johnson different roles on the show other than his interactions with Grover.
I think it's because they really aren't doing insert sketches anymore (at least ones without celebrities), but they still want to use the character in some way.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Technically it’s not really cannibalism when it’s something is eating something else. Would it be cannibalism when we as humans eat hamburgers that were eating cows.

However I do agree it’s freaky that fruit with faces wants to be eaten
Yeah. Kind of reminds me of that Looney Tunes Show episode where Tweety climbed into Sylvester's mouth on his own to get away from Daffy's bad piano playing or was it Granny? (I know a few of you here also post on the Toon Zone forums and might remember that show and know what the heck I'm talking about. But I definitely notice a similarity there. :smile:)

I think it's because they really aren't doing insert sketches anymore (at least ones without celebrities), but they still want to use the character in some way.
Yeah, but they could pair him with Grover more often as well. How about an ep where his house is being painted and he has to stay with Grover for a while. Someone noted the similarities between Johnson and Bert, so I could definitely see kind of a Bert/Ernie, Felix/Oscar (Maddison, not the Grouch) type pairing there.