Sesame Street Season 50 Episode 5011 - The Great Fruit Strike

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 5011 - The Great Fruit Strike
HBO Premiere: Saturday January 25, 2020
PBS Premiere: Monday October 19, 2020

All of the fruit leave Sesame Street because they think no one likes them. Elmo, Zoe, Alan, and Big Bird come up with the idea of singing songs about how much they like the fruit so the fruits will stay. (Guest: Chrissy Teigen).

This episode features an all-new street story, a new Big Bird's Road Trip (Decatur, Georgia), the "Name That Fruit" game show with Chrissy Teigen, Food Rap Battle ("Apple and Banana") and a new Elmo's World ("Fruit").

If you saw "The Great Fruit Strike" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That was amusing enough, especially Stephanie's tomato. Mr. Johnson's role felt very Bert-like, though. And this was the first time one of the cold opens had no regular characters, right?

Huh, I see. So the Road Trip stuff is continuing, but not in an interview format. It worked kinda better this way. And hey, a Sesame first: gay parents! I'm sure they'll get some ire for that.

The bit with Chrissy Teigen was alright, but I think too fast paced for any of the jokes to land right (and also Chrissy isn't that skilled in comedy).

I don't like seeing these YouTube videos pop up on the show because they are such lower production quality.

And we see some of the previous letter/number songs again. I missed having the Count in every episode. And where have E&B been at?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, I'm just going to be honest about something: did anybody else besides me feel just a tad uncomfortable that these fruits basically wanted to be mutilated and massacred for the sake of being used in everybody's menu requests? I mean even in the old EW Food episode, you could actually hear the discomfort and intimidation in the apple's voice after Elmo says, "Elmo loves apple!" Once again, the songs did absolutely nothing.

And wow, Big Bird's home already - not a very long trip. But yeah, just wait till One Million Moms and such start jumping all over this one.

The Chrissy Teigen bit may not have been great, but at least it gave us something different to see Cookie Monster and Gonger in, given how formulaic and repetitive Monster Foodies is.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
Honestly Gonger is a rising star in the show. He's such a fun character. I still think Sesame Workshop should have Cookie Monster be given their own spin off show.

kathy26

Reaction score
Who did the fruits and vegetables I know David rudman did the pineapple but who were the others

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
That was amusing enough, especially Stephanie's tomato. Mr. Johnson's role felt very Bert-like, though. And this was the first time one of the cold opens had no regular characters, right?

Huh, I see. So the Road Trip stuff is continuing, but not in an interview format. It worked kinda better this way. And hey, a Sesame first: gay parents! I'm sure they'll get some ire for that.

The bit with Chrissy Teigen was alright, but I think too fast paced for any of the jokes to land right (and also Chrissy isn't that skilled in comedy).

I don't like seeing these YouTube videos pop up on the show because they are such lower production quality.

And we see some of the previous letter/number songs again. I missed having the Count in every episode. And where have E&B been at?
So, I'm just going to be honest about something: did anybody else besides me feel just a tad uncomfortable that these fruits basically wanted to be mutilated and massacred for the sake of being used in everybody's menu requests? I mean even in the old EW Food episode, you could actually hear the discomfort and intimidation in the apple's voice after Elmo says, "Elmo loves apple!" Once again, the songs did absolutely nothing.

And wow, Big Bird's home already - not a very long trip. But yeah, just wait till One Million Moms and such start jumping all over this one.

The Chrissy Teigen bit may not have been great, but at least it gave us something different to see Cookie Monster and Gonger in, given how formulaic and repetitive Monster Foodies is.
What do you mean by gay parents?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Don't be hard on Mikaela, she probably isn't able to watch the new shows immediately like you and I are. But I thought the street story was fun. I liked the songs even if they were pointless. I liked Mr. Johnson unexpectedly singing heavy metal. I need some help from Shane identifying the fruit performers: I know David is the pineapple, Marty is the grapes, Leslie's the zucchini, Stephanie's the tomato, the rest I'm stuck on. So it seems like even though Big Bird is home, we're still getting the road trip segments, just with a kid talking about their life. Good for Sesame showing lesbian parents. The bit with Chrissy Teigan was funny. I liked Gonger saying to the banana "How you been, girl?"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I could swear I heard Matt's voice coming from one of those fruits, but unless it was dubbed in, or maybe he was said fruit and dubbing Big Bird's voice while somebody else (like Noel) was in the bird, I don't know.