Sesame Street Season 50 Episode 5001 - Big Bird Across America

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I remember Jen pointing out how the acting and performing gigs she tends to get are unconventional, given she's a tall woman with short hair and a deep voice, but being Granny Bird seems like a good performing role for her for that very reason.

Buff Beaker

Reaction score
This was a very good episode! I love how Big Bird is getting more of the spotlight! I cannot wait to see how this season unfolds.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This may be the most Big Bird-centric episode in a while. It seems like in the past couple seasons he had been mostly used as a supporting character.
And when they started shortening the “main cast” to six or seven characters, Big Bird was among those characters. Surprised to hear he’s been treated more like a supporting character, unless they quietly started treating some of the “main six” of 2016 like supporting characters and it hadn’t been announced.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
So, apparently, they sponsored the number 40 for the 40th season premiere, but sponsored the number 7 instead of 50 for the 50th season premiere? Peculiar.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
So we were discussing this on discord: what the heck is up with Granny Bird appearing out of nowhere (to no acknowledgement) to see Big Bird off? She's had like what, a dozen appearances in the show's history? If anything, Big Bird should be visiting her, not her appearing out of nowhere to see him off. Unless she becomes a resident this makes no sense.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
A. She's family.
B. They have Jen around, might as well use her.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
But she is the one who has always visited him and for her to appear out of nowhere to see him off is just so weird lol. I don't know the canon of Sesame Street deep enough if she "lives across the block", in another state or what.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a heads up, Sesame Street Season 50 begins airing daily on PBS this Monday September 14. The first episode is "Big Bird Across America". Check local listings for times.

Watch the show and let us know your thoughts on this episode.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
So Little Bird and Big Bird are cousins now? That's interesting. What's also interesting is that Little Bird's teddy bear is named Walter, because that's actually another M*A*S*H reference: Big Bird's teddy bear is named after the character known as Radar O'Reilly, but Radar's real name was Walter. I doubt many people will pick up on that, but I certainly did, no question.
You know it seems like they've always been weak with keeping continuity with Little Bird, like how they made him a female in that 90s episode where she was looking for a home. In most other sources Little Bird is a male. BTW, who's performing him now that's Fran's retired?