Sesame Street Episode 847 with Margaret Hamilton

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Hey, do any of you watch The Goldbergs? because in season 5 they made a reference to this episode of Sesame Street. In one episode Adam goes to Jonny Atkins to get a bootleg Indiana Jones movie and inside his locker he has many tapes with lost or banned stuff like A Star Wars Holiday Special, Fritz the Cat and Sesame Street Episode 847.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there ever was a film titled "Breakin' 3: Return to Boogaloo"?

scarecroe

Reaction score
As I read over this thread, and come across posts about this episode elsewhere on the forum, there seems to be a misunderstanding about what this episode is. The facts are that it aired in 1976, they got letters saying kids found it scary, so they didn't air it again. The episode wasn't banned or destroyed and it wasn't condemned for being inappropriate or any other nefarious conclusions some folks have assumed. It's just like any other episode from that era that just hasn't shown up again and became more rare because it was broadcast fewer times than some others.

There's no outrageous reason keeping Sesame Workshop from releasing the episode any more than any other episode in their archives. They're not ashamed of it and they're not trying to hide it. It's just one of several thousand other "lost" episodes. It will be included in AAPB's library, and I wouldn't be surprised if a clip from it wound up on the forthcoming 50th anniversary DVD. Yes, it's much sought after, but it's far tamer than some have made it out to be.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Whenever this thread gets bumped I'm like 👀

When scarecroe bumps this thread I'm like

This is actually quite a revelation... so the episode wasn't banned for being too scary? Didn't someone at CTW say "The Margaret Hamilton show will never be ran again"... isn't that a ban?

I'm also of the camp that a lot of "lost media" people who are expecting a riot out of this episode will be disappointed when they find it's not scary at all and "just another episode".

Scott, just for the sake of the Lost Media Wiki, can I be incredibly nosy and ask if you have the episode and have watched it? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but totally understand if you deny to comment to avoid harassment or a witch hunt. I wouldn't really propagate it further than this site other than saying "a guy has the episode".

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yes, the episode was pulled from airing. But he's saying it's not unlike every other episode of the show from that era - hasn't been seen since it's original airing or repeat.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
It’s just the controversy that happened and the word “banned” that makes fan speculate over it.

And it’s because of this why fans speculate that episodes like 0012 or 1966 were lost or destroyed.

scarecroe

Reaction score
This is actually quite a revelation... so the episode wasn't banned for being too scary? Didn't someone at CTW say "The Margaret Hamilton show will never be ran again"... isn't that a ban?
Look up the definition of the word banned.

just for the sake of the Lost Media Wiki...
The Lost Media Wiki on fandom.com or the one on its own host? Because the former is mostly fan fiction.

or a witch hunt.
I see what you did there. :wink: