Sesame Street Character Guide

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! Forgot this thread existed! Thanks for bringing it back from the thread graveyard and out of the shadow realm! Ok, here are a few pointers for those of you still reading this thread.
Minor Character Corrections
Bip Bippadotta, not Bip-Bopadotta
Donnizetti Ferlenghetti, not Ferlengheti
Dr. Nobel Price, not Dr. Noble Price
Fatima, not Little Purple Bird from Paraguay
Flo Bear, me thinks she could've been performed by David Rudman as a precursor to Baby Bear
Mr. Chatterly, not Lord Chatterly nor Alphabet Chatterley:
Osvaldo the Grouch, not Oswaldo el Gruñon
Over the Top, not ZZ Top Lookalikes
Prince Charming: Frank Oz, is this correct? Thought that since the character is a Guy Smiley lookalike he'd be voiced by Jim Henson as well.
Sam the Robot: Jerry Nelson, is this correct? Thought it was voiced at least by Carroll Spinney.
Tammy Swinnette, not Hammy Swinette

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
And here's a list of characters that I don't know anything about nor who they are. Any help from the fine forum members here at Muppet Central on identifying these characters would be most welcome. And now, the list of characters I need your help with.
Unknown Characters (at least to me)
The Alphabet Explorer
Angry Guy
Baabaa Walters
Buddy
Chickens that Quack Like Ducks
Elefante
The Fine Young Camels
Henry and Liza
Henry Wadsworth Wrongfellow
The Jacket Fairy
Jackman Wolf
Jim
Large Blue Wolf
Malard Duck, would this be the Duck seen as a regular on Sesame Street?
The Medium-Sized Purple Wolf
Mr. Ortiz
Pearl
Purple Guy
Sheep that Do the Cha Cha
Showered Rosell
Singing pigs, unless you mean either the Androoze Sisters or the Oinker Sisters
The Small Green Wolf
The Small Lavender Wolf
Solid Citizen Lady, the Amazing Mumford's Assistant
Theodore, are you refering to one of the Count's ten classmates?
Very Large Grayish-Blue Wolf
Witches in a cave

Skekayuk

Reaction score
In the Tibby's Bowl/ Muppet Central interviews section you'll find "Renata Scottie Dog (The Loudest Singer In The World)" named as such in the interview with her puppeteer (Louise Gold).

It is perhaps also worth mentioning (for those who don't know) that the powerful British Singer-actress-Muppeteer Louise Gold also performed Ethel Mermaid, and Frazzle's Mom.

Incidentally, another character not mentioned so far on your list is The Princess With The Pea (who was interviewed by Praire Dawn in "Fairy Tales Today").

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, I'm pleasantly surprised to see that someone found this thread and revivied it!
Glad that others are finding Tommy's SS Encyclopedia.
Hey Skekayuk, if you head on over to the "Muppet Listing 11.0" thread in the Classic Muppets section, you'll see that the Princess from the Princess and the Pea was indeed added. Oh, and if you could, please provide a link to the MC article with Louise Gold and Renatta Scottie Dog. Would rully love to confirm that as the character's name, since that's the last continuous episode I remember watching before stopping my Muppet heritage for my university studies.
Hope to hear from you guys soon, and keep supporting the Muppets!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
two more

From 1970:

Miguel: Jaime Sanchez. The first addition to the human cast, and the first Hispanic, beating Luis, Raphael and Maria by a year

Big Jeffy: Jeff Moss. The Fat Blue/ bearded hippie muppet guy singing "Mad!" with Little Jerry and the Monotones. Jeff wrote the song, and contributed quite a bit to the early years.

Jack not name. JACK JOB! (Okay, who said it?) :smirk:

Splurge

Reaction score
Captain Breakfast: Think of the Don Music/Guy Smiley puppet. Give him an upper row of teeth. Similar hair to Guy except brown. He might have had blue eyes, but I might be wrong. He wore a cape and a shirt with a picture of a cereal bowl. And he was played by Brian Meehl.

As far as I know, he was only a one skit character, but the skit repeated a lot and I thought it was darn funny.

Pearl: similar to the design of Narf, if not the same puppet. A light orange monster with a tall narrow head with dark orange tuft at the top. Bulgy eyes at the top, like a Twiddlebug; nose also tall and narrow and is pink. I think, like Narf, long skinny rod-arms. Pearl was also played by Brian Meehl, and when I first saw this character, I didn't know it was supposed to be a female.

A quick summary of Pearl, according to Karen Prell's site (look for Pearl pic): "Deena and Pearl were conceived as a sort of female monster Ernie and Bert. They were among several new characters introduced on SESAME STREET in the early 80's that never caught on, though one little red monster who first appeared then has become rather successful... "

One final note, for a barbershop quartet song skit, the Muppet people took the Pearl puppet and smacked on a black twirly mustache, instantly turning her into a crooning male monster.

Splurge helpful monster, yes?

Skekayuk

Reaction score
The Count said:
Oh, and if you could, please provide a link to the MC article with Louise Gold and Renatta Scottie Dog. Would rully love to confirm that as the character's name, since that's the last continuous episode I remember watching before stopping my Muppet heritage for my university studies.
!
Sure thing that Tibby's Bowl / MC interview on can be found on MC on: http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/interviews/gold.shtml

You might also want to check out the following fansite about Louise Gold: http://www.qsulis.demon.co.uk/Website_Louise_Gold/Start.htm - it doesn't have much about her puppeteering work yet - though it does list most of her main "Muppet" charactes

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip pal. Already read the article here on MC, proved to be OK. Glad to know that the character's been listed correctly in my Muppet Listings.