RIP Amy Winehouse

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
First and foremost, RIP Amy. It's a shame that another talented artist is lost to Club 27.
I'd like to point out though that the cause of Hendrix's death was the inattentiveness of the paramedic who carried him out of his residence, as they failed to support his neck and unfortunately choked. It was a survivable overdose.

Yorick

Reaction score
I didn't know much of her music, but I liked how (for the most part I think) she did a music style from a past era - not today's crud. Good on her for that, and such a terrible shame that drugs (probably...we don't know yet) caused yet another early death :frown:

Rose

Reaction score
I liked her music and I found her to be a very talented lady that she was. It's really a shame that something as deadly and addicting as drugs had to take away this very talented person who truly had a gift and it showed.
I do think it was drugs that caused her death judgeing by her history and the nature of how she was found. Makes me think something fishie was going on. Dosen't take rocket science to figure that one out.
* Note to the OD thing yes you can OD by assadent. It's that 'gotta have more feeling that a lot of people can't overrule. It can be done but you have to have a lot of courage and phycial and mantle straingh to do it. I truly think if she had the proper help this wouldn't have happened.

Yorick

Reaction score
I do think it was drugs that caused her death judgeing by her history and the nature of how she was found. Makes me think something fishie was going on. Dosen't take rocket science to figure that one out.
I agree about her history - sadly the thing people who didn't know about her music still knew about. And sadly, as you say, still didn't get the help needed. I don't know any other details about her passing though, so that's why I said "probably drugs, but we don't know yet" just in case - I wouldn't have wanted to just assume without a disclaimer, since, for all I know, she may have decided to stop the drugs, since I didn't know any details.

Starchamberfall

Reaction score
We'll never know how hard Ms. Winehouse may have tried to make it a go.

Pursuant to what the good Doctortooth said, did you know that Carl Sagan smoked marijuana, not for pleasure but for science? He did it as an attempt to broaden scientific speculation.

Princeton

Reaction score
We'll never know how hard Ms. Winehouse may have tried to make it a go.

Pursuant to what the good Doctortooth said, did you know that Carl Sagan smoked marijuana, not for pleasure but for science? He did it as an attempt to broaden scientific speculation.
And in the same vein, comedians such as Ron White and the late Rodney Dangerfield smoked marijuana because of chronic joint pain. So, while drugs do a lot of harm most of the time, they can be used for good as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And in the same vein, comedians such as Ron White and the late Rodney Dangerfield smoked marijuana because of chronic joint pain. So, while drugs do a lot of harm most of the time, they can be used for good as well.
Pot's a very complicated situation compared to the others. It can be beneficial medically, after all. Plus, I do believe it's gotten a bad rap because of yellow Journalism. I wouldn't touch the stuff myself, but all deeply criminalizing it does is shove minimum offenders in prison, overcrowding and wasting tax dollars. When it comes to that stuff, it's just like smoking and alcohol. Prohibition does nothing but promote crime, as the 1920's proved. Much like tobacco and alcohol, how about legalizing that and just putting a deep tax on it to fund something in the vein of anti-tobacco/drink responsibly programs. Anything done in excess, drinking, eating, smoking, shopping, sex...etc CAN harm you no matter what in the long run. I don't want to get on a whole debate about that, though... just mentioning a side note.

Actually, I think how the country goes about even the dangerous stuff is just a waste of time and a crap load of money. The government could spend millions of dollars seizing a couple thousand bucks of the stuff, and all the cartels and crime boss heads do is just raise street prices to make up for it. We have drug legislation that punishes the addicts worse than the actual bad guys who sell the stuff. if this stuff has to be illegal, they really need to junk the system and start over again. I believe in the saying, rules keep honest people out because if you're a crook you sneak in anyway. Some people will, regardless of the dangers they know are present, keep using. Why not give them a safer environment to do it in, instead of letting gangs shoot everyone up over it?

But then again, look at the legal, prescription stuff in this country. Sleeping aides that make you drive in your sleep? Anti-depression medication that causes people to get even worse and kill themselves? Easy to abuse prescription pain killers? Even the legal "safe" stuff isn't good.

Nick22

Reaction score
R.I.P. Amy Winehouse. I honestly though she was very talented. It makes me sad when people die from drug overdoses....

Starchamberfall

Reaction score
I was surprised to find out a few years back that Louis Armstrong had been a heavy marijuana smoker. It didn't seem to fit in with his positive presence and message. Again the reason was not "kicks" per se. Although he seemed really at ease in the white-dominated entertainment industry of the day, he experienced racism left, right and center, and found this so painful that marijuana was how he was able to continue, according to those close to him.

In early film reels, when you see Louis saying "I'm ready! I'm ready!" smiling that big smile, and the band members cracking up, it is because that was his way of saying to them "I'm stoked! I'm stoked!"