Ric Ocasek found dead in New York City at age 75

Steve Arino

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have some sad news to share: apparently Ric Ocasek, best known as the primary songwriter of the hit '70s Rock Music Group The Cars, was found dead last night in New York City at age 75.

Born in Baltimore, Maryland on March 23, 1944 (verified by the NYPD), Richard Theodore Otcasek (later shortening his name to Ric Ocasek) grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, and as a young man relocated to Boston, where The Cars first formed in 1976, disbanding in 1988 and reuniting in 2011.

Ric wrote such Cars classics as "Magic," "My Best Friend's Girl" and "You Might Think." Ric wrote "You Might Think" for his then-flame Paulina Porizkova (whom he married in 1989 and though they separated early last year, they were still legally married and on good terms), and there were Rumors that his flame with Paulina caused his marriage to his then-wife to Collapse, but Ric confirmed in Interviews at the time that his then-marriage was already on the rocks before THAT marriage ended in Divorce. He and Paulina had 2 young adult sons together, as well as Ric's 4 older grown sons from his first 2 failed marriages, all of whom survive Ric as well as a legion of Cars fans (myself included).

The late Ben Orr (who died at age 53 of Pancreatic Cancer in the year 2000) served as secondary Songwriter for The Cars, writing such Cars classics as "Just What I Needed," "Bye Bye Love" and "Drive" among several others.

Rock on, Ric, for all Eternity.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I was around when The Cars were an active group, but they were my older sister's favorite band."You Might Think" was HUGE in the early days of MTV.
Tic was a sight, with his mullet (one of those relics of the 80s that still make me cringe)and his gigantic ears sticking out). But The Cars had great lyrics, sharp guitar solos, and incredible harmonies. Perfect for the radio.
Thank you Ric, for all the great tunes. My own fave, "You're All I Got Tonight".

cjd874

Reaction score
I always loved the Cars' debut..."Just What I Needed," "My Best Friend's Girl," and "Good Times Roll" were some of the big hits from that album alone. Then they had "Shake It Up," "Drive," and "You Might Think" later on.
It's been said that if there's a heaven, they sure have a heck of a band up there! Think about it: Elvis, Jimi, Lennon, Joplin, Moon, Mercury, Cobain, Lemmy, Bowie, Petty, Prince, and (as of a few days ago) Eddie Money...now Ric Ocasek is there too. Rest easy, Ric. Your music lives on.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
Ric Ocasek really rocked when it comes to hits by The Cars. Now he's reunited with Benjamin Orr in rock and roll heaven.

Looking ahead, I can sense a lot of 1980s musicians heading to rock and roll heaven in the coming decade, considering they are in their 60s or older by now. I did learn that many of the solo recording artists who had top 40 hits in the early 1980s were older adults (many in their 30s and 40s), and that was because, after the disco backlash of 1979, record labels didn't want to take any risks with younger talent unless those younger artists were in a group. Of course, that all changed when Debbie Gibson came to town and gave new life to teen pop.

Ric Ocasek will be missed for sure. R.I.P., Ric, and thanks for your great talent.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Shame he passed away, the Cars are one of my favorite new wave rock bands.

Bye.... bye.... bye, love....