Respectful Politics Thread (Let's Just See)

jvcarroll

Reaction score
What’s on my mind right now is to succeed in my own life, so I’ve very little time to focus on how horribly Trump has screwed us up.
Life is not a zero sum game. Some of us can walk and chew gum at the same time or pat our heads and rub our stomachs at the same time.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
To me,

It is one thing I am at least aware of what's going on and am disgusted with the fact that Trump is doing this to our country. But at the same time, I want to focus more on my own life and problems and just let this issue pop up from time to time in my mind and not constantly think about it 24/7.

I think that's what Thunder was getting at.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
To me,

It is one thing I am at least aware of what's going on and am disgusted with the fact that Trump is doing this to our country. But at the same time, I want to focus more on my own life and problems and just let this issue pop up from time to time in my mind.

I think that's what Thunder was getting at.
That's healthy, but that's not what he said.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Well, I'll let Thunder defend himself there because I can't speak for him.

I just got the idea that he wants to focus more on his own life than consistently worry about what's going on in the world. I'm sure he's just as disgusted about what's going on, but again, I'll let him speak for himself.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well, I'll let Thunder defend himself there because I can't speak for him.

I just got the idea that he wants to focus more on his own life than consistently worry about what's going on in the world. I'm sure he's just as disgusted about what's going on, but again, I'll let him speak for himself.
We all should do that, but not forget the struggles of others. Finding that balance is key. There are people who highlight certain injustices because they feel powerless in their own lives so it's easier to fight someone else's battle on forums. Everyone here has dipped their toe into that pool. Trump is survivable. At least, so far he is and most historians agree with that. We must help our fellow man - not just by voting or talking, but doing. We can't do everything, but we all can do a little something - no matter how busy. ALL of us.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
No one should be condoning violence and kicking people out of restaurants seems petty to me. It's easy to blame the polite booting of Sarah H Sanders on mere politics, but that's not the case. The lies are. Also, the owner reportedly held a vote among the entire staff and comped Sanders' appetizer. I still wouldn't have done that. That said, here's a WHOPPER of a lie that she will never address. We're being led astray by our President. We need to stop blaming him for our behavior, however. We MUST all be better than this.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No one should be condoning violence and kicking people out of restaurants seems petty to me.
No, but it also isn't something that should be turned into a double standard (yet another in which the right excels). Should Sanders have been kicked out the restaurant for working for Trump? No. But neither should other people be kicked out of other places of business for being gay, or black, or Hispanic, or Muslim - all of which the right continually praises on the grounds of "religious freedom" or some other similar ideal.
Here's another thing though: any and everytime Trump says anything like this, his supporters immediately defends his words with the same stock response: "He was just joking." That, in and of itself, is another double standard: anytime Obama would make jokes, or try to invoke humor into something (his speeches, statements, addresses, whatever), those same people would slam him for being un-Presidential, inappropriate, and "trying too hard to be Mr. Cool than the President of the United States." Trump on the other hand, he makes these remarks, threats, statements, whatever, and his supporters always defend him as joking, having a sense of humor, or "telling it like it is."

jvcarroll

Reaction score
No, but it also isn't something that should be turned into a double standard (yet another in which the right excels). Should Sanders have been kicked out the restaurant for working for Trump? No. But neither should other people be kicked out of other places of business for being gay, or black, or Hispanic, or Muslim - all of which the right continually praises on the grounds of "religious freedom" or some other similar ideal.

Here's another thing though: any and everytime Trump says anything like this, his supporters immediately defends his words with the same stock response: "He was just joking." That, in and of itself, is another double standard: anytime Obama would make jokes, or try to invoke humor into something (his speeches, statements, addresses, whatever), those same people would slam him for being un-Presidential, inappropriate, and "trying too hard to be Mr. Cool than the President of the United States." Trump on the other hand, he makes these remarks, threats, statements, whatever, and his supporters always defend him as joking, having a sense of humor, or "telling it like it is."
I agree in part, but I don't liken a notorious white bigot, like Sanders, who works for an oppressive regime, to an oppressed minority.