Remembering Jim Henson

robodog

Reaction score
The creations of Jim Henson are responsible for some of the few good memories I have of my childhood. When I was five and going to Day Care at noon they would herd us into a dark room for nap time. I hated it. I hated the dark, hated having to lay still and be quiet and, well, just hated everything about it. It made me both sad and scared. But then one day I found an easy way to get through it. I'd just think of the Muppets. So I did. I'd replay different sketches from The Muppet Show in my mind and this would calm me and help me get through a miserable situation.

I loved Fraggle Rock as well. I remember sitting on the edge of my parents' bed watching it whenever it came on. For some strange reason I pictured Doozer Sticks tasting like the mustard sandwiches I liked to make.

Labyrinth was one of my favorite movies as a kid. I remember seeing it in theatres with my mom, my Friend dwayne and his brother Danny. Once it came on TV I taped it and would go on to watch it several times a week.

All through my childhood I wanted to make creatures like special effects artists do. I taught myself puppetry, largely by watching Henson productions and various films that used puppets and animatronics for the creature effects. I became good enough to fool people with my puppetry. When I was eight a monkey puppet almost got me kicked out of a McDonalds. They thought I had a live animal! I doubt I would have developed these skills without the Muppets and other Jim Henson works.

Once I watched an interview with Jim Henson where he said something along the lines of "I hope I leave this world a little better than how I found it" I hope he knows that he did. The world was a better place for having had Jim Henson in and now that he's gone it will never be the same.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Hi-ho, Colette Clark, here! My apologizes for not doing a tribute this year, but I finally found one from J.D. "Frog Scout" Hansel who does a wonderful tribute to Jim Henson.
Hint - The topic he talks about is the film Henson saw as a kid and there are references.
Enjoy!
http://boobersblog.com/?p=337

Muppetgirl1

Reaction score
I was born Three years after is Death but when I watch the Muppets it seems he is still with them. He is never Gone he is in our hearts that is love. That will Never Die.

Jim and The Muppets taught me that long ago in some movies of theirs.

Thank you Jim for EVERYTHING we will always LOVE YOU:smile::wink::big_grin::smile::smile::smile::sympathy::sympathy:

Muzikman7

Reaction score
I actually have two pictures of Jim working Kermit in front of the camera setup for Walt Disney World's MGM/Disney Studios Holiday Special in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater it was Nov. and he died in May, wheni find a suitable watermark I'll post them.

mo

Reaction score
Whenever I read Jim Henson the works I always feel sad. My favorite muppet related picture ever is when it has all the characters he performed are holding different pictures of him...It's just beautiful.

jerambam

Reaction score
I watched Sesame Street and the Muppet Show when I was little, and I remember hearing of Jim's death from my special education teacher when I was going on 17. Shortly afterwards I read in Time magazine about how his pills had come too late. It was sad.