Remembering Jerry Nelson (July 10, 1934-August 23, 2012)

Vincent L

Reaction score
I have a Google Alert for "Robin Muppet". It's really inactive previously, but it's coming in like crazy now. With bad news, unfortunately.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Here's a poem for Jerry Nelson made by TrulyOutrageousJem.
http://browse.deviantart.com/?order=5&q=jerry+nelson#/d5cfsk3

Poem for Jerry Nelson

One, ahaaa, two, ahaaa, three ahaaa
I still count on my fingers like that,
Would you believe that I learned that on the street, Sesame,
From the one ahaaa and only Count Von Count
When I first saw him, I let out a scream, a scared shout!
But I didn't need to fret, 'cause he wasn't a mean vamp posing a threat,
He was a dignified count and not to mention a counting champ!
From him I learned numbers as well that lovely dance,
The Batty Bat
On that same street, I got to know this big brown creature,
Could never spell his whole name, so I've always called him Snuffy
I was pretty scared of him too,
But I found out he's all friendly, just like he is fluffy!
He helped me get through that big alphabet
Plus, you showed me that first step to writing a story,
Seeing what should happen I believe that word is:
Imagine
Before I were to even take the leap,
I needed to learn how to hop, who'd I learn this from?
I'll give you a hint, Kermit's his relative, but not his pop
I'm talking about Robin The Frog
Who truly drove the fact that small is powerful,
Size and age are nothing,
It's what's deep inside you that matters, that special something,
Magic

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One thing I've been thinking about: For the past decade, the majority of Grover and Mr. Johnson bits were done when Frank Oz was available (though there are exceptions). I wonder if Oz will continue to perform Grover in such segments (assuming they'll continue with new Mr. Johnson material).

It would be great if there were to be some sort of official documentary on the life of Jerry Nelson, whether it be a televison special or a documentary film (like "Being Elmo" and the upcoming "I Am Big Bird"). Jim Henson and Joe Raposo both got tribute albums when they died, it'd be great if there was such an album for Jerry, maybe call it "Sesame Street Celebrates Jerry Nelson". A DVD set full of Jerry's performances would be nice, too.

With season 43 complete Matt should have a year to prepare for the voice of The Count. But I wonder if we'll get to hear a new Count before season 44, like in a special or a viral video or live appearance or whatever.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
With season 43 complete Matt should have a year to prepare for the voice of The Count. But I wonder if we'll get to hear a new Count before season 44, like in a special or a viral video or live appearance or whatever.
Yeah. Me, too. I'm dying to hear the new Count voice.

It's right that The Count didn't make any recent live appearances (with the exception of the Macy's Parade of course).

I hope The Count makes an appearance in next year's Annual Sesame Workshop Benefit Gala.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's right that The Count didn't make any recent live appearances (with the exception of the Macy's Parade of course).
You know, now I hope that the song they sing at the Macy's parade is something that was originally sung by one of Jerry's characters. Or perhaps a medley of Jerry Nelson songs as a tribute (have they ever done a medly in the parade?).

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
You know, now I hope that the song they sing at the Macy's parade is something that was originally sung by one of Jerry's characters. Or perhaps a medley of Jerry Nelson songs as a tribute (have they ever done a medly in the parade?).
They have done a medley before back in 2009. The songs were "Sing" and "What Makes Music".

Let's hope that The Count is in the 2012 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. :batty:

Squigiman

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
Just caught up again on all the nice things said, drawn, or otherwise shared. Very nice. I was just wondering if anyone knew where I might get a good (or even decent) quality instrumental rendition of "Halfway Down The Stairs". I see that video tribute with the puppet, Smiley, seems to have it playing with no vocals, but though I sent a message on YouTube to the one who posted it, I haven't heard back, yet. I was just hoping to make my own tribute video. Thanks, in advance, for any help.

-Squigiman