Remembering Fred Rogers...

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
I just found out Mr. Rogers passing about 20 minutes ago and... words just aren't enough.

He was someone who truly was a hero of mine demonstrating what it truly meant to "love thy neighbor as thyself".

There was a Nightline special that aired not too long ago that perfectly demonstrated his impact on our culture. Everyone who met him, the first words out of his/her mouth was "Thank You."

He will be missed...tremendously.

Scott

ReoRogerz

Reaction score
Like all of you, the death of Mister Rogers is a huge disappointment for me. We not only lost a TV legend and one of the forefather's of children's television, but we lost somebody was who really and truly a friend to all of us. Every celebrity talks about how much they appreciate their fans, but Mister Rogers proved it EVERY DAY. Sure, it was corny at times, but people young and old always appreciated his show. In my opinion, he's right up there with Jim Hensen, Charles Shulz, and Walt Disney as creative geniuses. 'Mister Rogers Neighborhood' is timeless. Any show that garners viewers from all generations deserves applause. But what I find so impressive about Mister Rogers is that he made a gigantic success out of something so simple. Like in one of the early episodes, he brought his son on the show and they made hats out of newspapers and they did a whole show on that. There are too many other examples to mention, but you get the point. Another accomplishment is the respect he always received from people. Somebody from CBS news did an interview with him and when Mister Rogers got off the train, it was 8 seconds before he was FLOODED with people thanking him. Esquire Magazine even did a special 'Heroes' issue with him on the cover. Again, in my opinion, he really was a hero. He made sure that every child watching his show knew that they were special and that they were loved. I just wish his death would get more coverage than it is. But what's important is that we, his fans, are remembering what he did for us. It’s a real shame that such a wonderful person has left us. Mister Rogers, thank you for all the joy you gave us over the years and hopefully for a long time to come. My condolences go out to your family, friends and fans. Thank you Sir, and God Bless You.

pezbalubah

Reaction score
I just learned today that he was Presbyterian minister. That's one more thing I respect him for, not so much for being a minister, but for producing a children's show that didn't preach religion like many other religious produced children programming. Mr. Roger's Neighborhood was for everybody no matter what race or religion.

Gentle Giant

Reaction score
my Mr. Rogers thought

I remember watching Mr. Rogers when I was a kid. My sisters and I had a record of him. I wish we still had it:cry:

Melik

Reaction score
:frown:

I didn't know him because in Austria ,Germany..... we have our own Sesame Street Artists ,but it is always hard when somebody died
:frown: :cry:

PS Can you link a picture of him

babymeesh

Reaction score
:frown: I remember watching Mr. rogers and Sesame Street together every afternoon growing up. It is a great loss to all the children and adults in the world. He was a calming voice in an often mixed-up world.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
This morning I woke up and my mom (knowing my childish nature) told me. It was a complete shock. I wore my zip-up sweater today in tribute.

When I was younger, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and Sesame Street didn't compete. I loved them both. Sesame Street wound me up and was entertaining. Mr. Roger's Neighborhood was comforting and calming (I think that's why my mom loved it too. I was quite the hyperactive child. I still am). If he put on a red sweater (red was my favorite color), I *knew* that it would be great day. I remember being very excited about the clip of the crayon factory and how crayons were made. Actually, I still love that.

I've lost yet another figure from my childhood, and it's hard.

(and I'm trying my best not to cry in the computer lab. I knew I should have written this at home)

Jackie

Reaction score
When watching Mr. Rogers Neighborhood I knew I was learning something from a very wise and genuinely good man. There was no hidden side, it was just Mr. Rogers talking to you, talking to me... He always asked if I would be his neighbor but he didn't have to.

It's such a good feeling to know you're alive.
It's such a happy feeling: You're growing inside.
And when you wake up ready to say,
"I think I'll make a snappy new day."
It's such a good feeling, a very good feeling,
The feeling you know that we're friends.

I think he appreciated every day and taught us to do the same. He may be gone, but what he's taught us will never be forgotten.

Jackie

Reaction score
It's you I like,
It's not the things you wear,
It's not the way you do your hair--
But it's you I like
The way you are right now,
The way down deep inside you--
Not the things that hide you,
Not your toys--
They're just beside you.

But it's you I like--
Every part of you,
Your skin, your eyes, your feelings
Whether old or new.
I hope that you'll remember
Even when you're feeling blue
That it's you I like,
It's you yourself,
It's you, it's you I like.

DrGoshposh

Reaction score
Mister Rogers was and is a big influence on my life. And though I'm glad we all got the chance to know him, I am heartbroken that my neighbor is gone.

Scott